Why Would We Have to Rebuild Again?

I have made my opinion on this site regarding Coach Callahan very clear and after the bowl game it hasn't changed. I know he will be back next year...but I am not the only person on this site to suggest he be fired. Most people have responded by saying that if we fired Callahan we would have to rebuild again. Why? I don't have a problem with the WCO, just the coach. Aren't there other coaches out there who could coach the same style offense. If I remember when Notre Dame hired Charlie Weiss he was left a number of players that fit into his system. If this system is as popular as they say it is, then there has to be someone out there who could coach it. Just Wondering!!!

I dont know what all this talk is about. I know its different but he wasnt he the OC for the Raiders when they had the number one offense in the league? Im pretty sure he was calling the plays for them. IT HAS ONLY BEEN THREE YEARS!!!!! HE IS PROGRESSING, GIVE HIM SOME FREAKIN TIME!!! I am sure glad everybody on here knows what is going on down on the field, what defenses were being run, and how to counter them. He is an offensive genious and he knows what he is doing, none of you guys do. I cant even believe I am reading this discussion. Everybody was saying, OOO it took Osborne a long time to win a championship give Solich more time. That was after what five years with NO TALENT BEING RECRUITED!!! Now after three years people are saying fire Callahan after three years after we went to the cotton bowl and are obviously making strides. Anyone who thinks that would be best for the program, I am sorry we love the same team.

I think before talk of Callahan being fired should even be brought up, there should be some coaching staff changes IMO. I think Callahan should consider giving up the play-calling duties and hire an OC who actually makes the calls. Or allow Norvell to make the calls.

I agree 100%! I think firing Callahan at this point would be a big mistake. He's proven that he can recruit and from what I understand players really like the atmosphere he's created, but there definitely should be some coaching changes at WR and DB because these seem to be our weakest positions and although we don't have the best players at those positions, no one ever seems to improve.

Well that makes more sense than to fire Callahan, however I would say wait another year or maybe two so we can see how they do with some real talent. Next year and the year after we will have Asante, Culbert, Thenarse, David Ross, Washington, Sullivan, Blue and maybe some others, as far as the secondary goes. They are all much more talented than what we have now. Lets see what they can do when they are allowed to open it up.

Well that makes more sense than to fire Callahan, however I would say wait another year or maybe two so we can see how they do with some real talent. Next year and the year after we will have Asante, Culbert, Thenarse, David Ross, Washington, Sullivan, Blue and maybe some others, as far as the secondary goes. They are all much more talented than what we have now. Lets see what they can do when they are allowed to open it up.

Agreed! And the addition of Niles Paul at WR will make a big difference. I hope he can make an early impact. His speed and athleticism would be a great compliment to "Purifee" (Summerall).

Anyone thinking that changing coaches would be easy, or would not require a "rebuilding" period of time, really doesn't have a clue about football or the process behind it...

Just because BC runs the WCO, doesn't mean that every team that has a VERSION of the WCO, could come in here and EASILY install his system....

What about recruiting, the entire staff.... If you think having 4-5 D-Coord. in a 5-6 period is "easy", you haven't been paying attention....

If NU would get a new staff, this program would be the laughing stock among the colleege ranks.... No coach would even dream of coaching here !!!!!

If anyone thinks that 3 years is enough time to "turn this thing around", please try to see the big pictue, and not just the scoreboard !!!!

I am not sure that some of these "so-called" fans truly know the history of NU football.... Sometimes on this board, it sounds like many of the members must have started following NU in the early 90's..... It is real easy to be a great fan when you are winning NC year after year...

I can tell you that NONE of the BC losses sting as much as the repeated losses to OU yr after yr... or Orange Bowl losses...

If NU changes coaches, I will gaurantee that this program would not be back in the top 5 within the next decade !!!!! It is different when Urban meyer goes to a talent laden Florida team..... NU still doesn't have the athletes necessary to win the big games.... But BC IS BRINGING GUYS IN !!!! GIVE HIM SOME FLIPPING TIME !!!

I am not sure that some of these "so-called" fans truly know the history of NU football.... Sometimes on this board, it sounds like many of the members must have started following NU in the early 90's..... It is real easy to be a great fan when you are winning NC year after year...

:yeah I remember the whole "Osborne can't win the big one" argument. Fans wanted him fired. I heard it over and over again. Look how long it took him to do it. In the age of "instant gratification" many of these fans will be disappointed most years. The 90's were incredible, but one must consider this: from 1962 to 1997 (35 years under Devaney and Osborne), Nebraska won 5 national titles. That is 30 years of not winning the title. 22 of these are under Osborne. Callahan had a nine win season this year (two years after going 5-6 and instituting major offensive changes), Osborne had MANY nine win seasons. Hanc is right, "It is real easy to be a great fan when you are winning NC year after year..." but IMO it believing in your coach and team the 21 times you don't that truly dictates a fan.

Demanding championships in year 3 of a caoching change where we had to totally overhual the offensive system, and rebuild the talent base from mid-major levels to BCS is simply asking too much.

In year 3 we got to the champ game, and a Jan 1 bowl game. I would say that is progress my friends. Before calling for any caoching changes, even assistants, look long, and hard at the players they have.

I notice how no one is on Cos' case after his defense played great games vs OU and AU. But people wanted him gone all season.

DBs, we all know how weak we are there. There simply wasnt any talent after the starters that solich left. With experiance on Culbert and Thenarse, as well as the very good looking influx of recruits for the possitions this year, lets wait and see what he can do with some real athletes.

WRs, how much is the WRs and how much is it the QB? Taylor is tough and doesnt make many stupid mistakes, but he is a far cry from a blue chipper. I cant recall him making many passes where he hits a WR is stride, other than some of the short crossing routs. I cant recall him hitting a WR over the shoulder downfeild in stride. Again, we need more time.

Firing coaches on a rapid basis is just stupid. It doesnt lead to stability or good relationships with the players. The players need to have a strong sense of trust from the coaching staff, and that takes time to build. Having turnovers for losing a few close games is more than an over reaction, it is childish.

Thank god I am starting to read some of the posts that I have recently read. I was beginning to think that Nebraska football fans knew as much about football as Rosie O'Donell knows about.......I wont say it. But really when people say that Callahan should be fired it makes ZERO sense, and more than likely it was the people pulling for solich to stay with the same records and horrible recruiting.......makes noooo sense. Or even the fact that Cos should be fired. Now I will admit I thought he coached some pretty bad games. However I dont know what he is seeing. He had a great defense last year, and after one bad year everyone is ready to just get rid of him.......patience!!

Thank god I am starting to read some of the posts that I have recently read. I was beginning to think that Nebraska football fans knew as much about football as Rosie O'Donell knows about.......I wont say it. But really when people say that Callahan should be fired it makes ZERO sense, and more than likely it was the people pulling for solich to stay with the same records and horrible recruiting.......makes noooo sense. Or even the fact that Cos should be fired. Now I will admit I thought he coached some pretty bad games. However I dont know what he is seeing. He had a great defense last year, and after one bad year everyone is ready to just get rid of him.......patience!!

It's refreshing to listen to people who make sense. Solich's lack of recruiting is the reason that were in this mess. Let's face it the game has changed and the program needed to change with it. Top notch athletes were not interested in playing in an option offense. They want to play in an offense that will prepare themselves for the nexr level! Although I'm baffled by BC's decisions and play calling sometimes, the fact is that he's bringing talented athletes back to the program and it's heading in the right direction. GO BIG RED!