2007 Tough Schedule

If you ask me, Boise St proved you don't need highly ranked skilled players to beat a good team. It's the similar to the old adage: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can have all the skill players you want but if they won't live up to their expections and ability, what good does it do? I'd rather have a team full of 3 star recruits who want to learn and want to play their best as opposed to a team with several 4 and 5 star recruits who never pan out because they don't live up to the hype or think they're owed something. Boise St is proof mediocre recruits who have a desire to win will outplay and outperform a team with what should be superior players.

Boise did not win that game without players or play makers......their conference saps their crediability

evidently you didn't watch many bowl games......there are a ton of teams out there that have way better skill position players than we have.....yes, we should be better, but we will not be good enough to compete

with USC and Texas and we may stumble on the road against others as well......on top of that some of our position coaches are questionable.....9-4 would be another good year, all things considered, but sometime along the way this team needs a break thru game or two

Actually, I did watch a lot of bowl games. Did you watch the Cotton Bowl? How about the Big Twelve Championship Game - did you watch that game? Or did you happen to catch the Texas - Nebraska game? We played well - at least up to the competition - in each of those games. Skill position players? Well, of course, some teams have better players at certain positions than the Huskers will in 2007. That is the nature of the game. That doesn't mean that we do not have the talent to compete (and win) against any top 10 team. But, I agree with you....it is going to be a difficult road for the Huskers to come away with 10 wins next year given our schedule. However, we will be better team next year. Don't[ be surprised if we are favored to win the Big Twelve next year by some reputable publications. And, I would bet that the Huskers are given a preseason rank somewhere in the range of 11-15.

If you ask me, Boise St proved you don't need highly ranked skilled players to beat a good team. It's the similar to the old adage: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can have all the skill players you want but if they won't live up to their expections and ability, what good does it do? I'd rather have a team full of 3 star recruits who want to learn and want to play their best as opposed to a team with several 4 and 5 star recruits who never pan out because they don't live up to the hype or think they're owed something. Boise St is proof mediocre recruits who have a desire to win will outplay and outperform a team with what should be superior players.

Boise did not win that game without players or play makers......their conference saps their crediability

You're right they didn't. But understand, Ian Johnson was a 2 star recruit who wasn't even their starter at the beginning of the season. Zabransky wasn't even ranked when he was recruited. But what both have/had is the desire to win and the desire to play. Lots of people like to believe a high recruiting ranking automatically turns into a winning season or National Championship Title. It doesn't. Ask Mack Brown how that works. Then ask Boise St if it's important to have a highly touted recruit on their team.

Conference weakness or not Boise St is #2 in the nation on Scoring Offense second to Hawaii. I don't care how "weak" a conference may seem, when you regularly hang 40 plus points on a team (including OU) you have to start wondering how good they may actually be. If NU were hanging that many points on our opponents in the Big 12, the argument could be made the Big 12 is weak especially when you consider how we fared in Bowl Games and its record against Top 10 teams.

In honesty I don't consider Oklahoma to be a top 10 program at this time. Their recruiting has fallen some, and I am not as sold on Stoops being the god send as have thought. When Blakes recruits left so did the ability to win NC.

Coach, I agree we are still way down on talent compared to SC and the rest of the top 10 programs in the country. 3 good classes with one totally lost does not get you to their level. But we are making inroads on the talent level.

As to coaching, BC may be the answer, he may not, but until that is proven one way or another I will support him completely.

I honestly feel this staff is doing a great job with what they have. I think the kids are performing above their true ability. I credit this with overall leadership of this staff. I think the kids truly love this staff and that makes things better no matter the talent problems. But I also think that some of this staff is learning the college game.

I have said many times it will take at least 5 years to see exactly what BC wants. I do not expect a win against SC next year, I would expect a win against Texas if it was at home.

I feared Wake Forest two years ago, their kicking game took them out of it in my mind. They have played everyone on their schedule tough for the last 5 years. We actually looked better against them than anyone else up till this year. I believe they lose a lot this year, but he will have them ready to play. It will not be a cake walk.

I have never beleived Nebraska was an automatic win, may have wanted it but understand that anyone can beat anybody on a given day. We are not going to return to mid 90's performance. I don't think anyone will ever match that string, all I want is to be in the top ten nearly every year and occasionally be in the hunt for the NC. I think that is the future of college football.

In honesty I don't consider Oklahoma to be a top 10 program at this time. Their recruiting has fallen some, and I am not as sold on Stoops being the god send as have thought. When Blakes recruits left so did the ability to win NC.

Coach, I agree we are still way down on talent compared to SC and the rest of the top 10 programs in the country. 3 good classes with one totally lost does not get you to their level. But we are making inroads on the talent level.

As to coaching, BC may be the answer, he may not, but until that is proven one way or another I will support him completely.

I honestly feel this staff is doing a great job with what they have. I think the kids are performing above their true ability. I credit this with overall leadership of this staff. I think the kids truly love this staff and that makes things better no matter the talent problems. But I also think that some of this staff is learning the college game.

I have said many times it will take at least 5 years to see exactly what BC wants. I do not expect a win against SC next year, I would expect a win against Texas if it was at home.

I feared Wake Forest two years ago, their kicking game took them out of it in my mind. They have played everyone on their schedule tough for the last 5 years. We actually looked better against them than anyone else up till this year. I believe they lose a lot this year, but he will have them ready to play. It will not be a cake walk.

I have never beleived Nebraska was an automatic win, may have wanted it but understand that anyone can beat anybody on a given day. We are not going to return to mid 90's performance. I don't think anyone will ever match that string, all I want is to be in the top ten nearly every year and occasionally be in the hunt for the NC. I think that is the future of college football.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbs

Enough of the Bosie state for president.

They beat Oklahoma, not SC, not Ohio State, not Florida, not LSU or a host of other teams more talented.

Oklahoma got mauled by Texas early in the year. Oregon beat them. (with the hlep of Officials)

A lot more motivation for Boise than Oklahoma in this game.

Go back for the last 8 years and tell me how many teams that were not ranked in the top 5 of recruiting won the NC. ZERO!!!!

Look at those ranked in the top 10 in recruiting and see where they finished up ranked by year.

All will be there.

This all changed in 97, recruiting ranking has proven over and over again. You can doubt it all you want, but the cream rises to the top.

We are not close to the talent level of a top ten program. I doubt we are ever going to be. So you need a staff the players trust and can motivate them to over achieve (Boise State). Hopefully BC is the that person. To early to know one way or another. But if the players feel he is the man to do it, who am I to say he isn't.

In my opinion 07 is a watershed year for this program and this staff. While the schedule is "hard" one thing is for certain, NU is playing to the right opponents. 2 BCS teams for non-conference and Texas in Austin is a great argument point in a sport where your potential losses have to look "good".

I feel that anything more than 2 losses is a failure. This team has a lot of talent and supposedly will have that magical QB that this offense needs. Even with the weaknesses in the secondary, everyone gets a year older and hopefully, some younger talent can supplant the weaker starters. Enough is enough, I have heard that they were close for too long now. Next year is year 4, and there needs to be big step taken.

As for Callahan, yes I am critical of him. Should he be fired right now? No, I didn;t even think that in my post Cotton Bowl anger. But, he needs some common sense pumped into him. Everyone hear can applaud gutsy plays, but, NU and NU fans deserve to have a team that can line up and beat a team without gadget plays. They deserve a team to finish off an opponent and not fumble a victory away in thier own stadium. And they deserve a team that, supposedly on the rampage back to dominance and "restoring the order" doesn't go....

-heartbreak loss to UT at home

-head up the ass loss to Ok. state

-sloppy win at home against MU

-lucky as hell win against TAMU

-sloppy win against deploable CU

-mistake riddled loss to OU

-Bowl loss

Thats just my opinion. I feel its time to expect a lot from this staff and not listen to their rhetoric, instead, get the results they once promised.

In other words...sh#t or get off the pot guys

The defense showed a lot of improvement at the end. Also, no one mention that the defense truly made adjustments in the fourth quarter. We shut down Auburn completely in the first half. Auburn made adjustments in the third quarter and started moving the ball on us; however, in the fourth quarter, we shut them down again. Why? Because Cozgrove actually did make adjustments. Do you disagree?

Yes, there were a couple calls on offense I wonder about. But don't you think perhaps the reason why it didn't appear to fans' eyes that there were no adjustments on offense was because of a big weakness in our receivers. They couldn't get open. They couldn't get off the line. And Taylor doesn't have a strong enough arm to fire the ball in tight man-to-man coverage. Auburn's DBs were physically better. Could most of the problems been perhaps because Auburn's defense was more talented than our offense?

And even with that questionable trick play in punt formation, if it wasn't for that big interception return by Auburn, we still probably would have won this game, and hardly anyone would be complaining about the coaches.

You're right they didn't. But understand, Ian Johnson was a 2 star recruit who wasn't even their starter at the beginning of the season. Zabransky wasn't even ranked when he was recruited. But what both have/had is the desire to win and the desire to play. Lots of people like to believe a high recruiting ranking automatically turns into a winning season or National Championship Title. It doesn't. Ask Mack Brown how that works.

boy, i agree with that! Ol' Mack had some real good classes before he broke through and honestly Vince Young was the one guy that took them over the hump....his qb play was the difference when he was there

2007 could be a breakthrough year. Let's face it - if we get 11 wins and beat a USC or Texas and win a bowl game, we will officially be "back". The opportunity is there for the taking. I'm excited to see what Keller can do and if he is the fiery leader that this team needs.

We should be able to beat Nevada and Wake to start the year. BOTH are good teams, but personally I think Wake is a bit flukish. They had a magical year, but I don't think they were BCS-caliber. The USC game is winnable, no question. We need to control the line of scrimmage and get a couple of big plays. If we can do that, we'll be in great shape.

The Big 12 schedule will be difficult, but we should have as much talent as anyone outside of Texas.

What is scary is that another five-loss season is as possible as a 12-1 season. Let's hope the kids work their asses off over the summer and that we stay healthy.

I agree - 2007 is a watershed year!