Trev, do you think that Nebraska is headed in the right direction?

Trev, do you think that Nebraska is headed in the right direction? I really think we could use you back here leading our defense, what do you say, Coach Alberts? - Tom Cave, Omaha Neb.

It's fairly clear that I don't think I'll be coaching in Lincoln.

But I think this year will be interesting for Nebraska fans. You can't deny the steady progress Bill Callahan and his staff have made from no bowl game to the Alamo Bowl to the Cotton Bowl. You can certainly see the change in culture at the program where they're now recruiting a different type of kid and different types of athletes that they haven't had there in the past.

You can point out, if you're objective, that you'd like to see them win some games they're not necessarily supposed to win. Like the Cotton Bowl. They played so well. Not being able to win the Big 12 Championship tears up coach Callahan because they played so well.

Next year is so important because the schedule gets much more difficult. They lost the heart and soul of the offense. I think Nebraska fans will look back on Zac Taylor and realize how special he was because of his intelligence and toughness. And Callahan understands and appreciates what that kid stands for. He may not be able to throw the ball down the field, but I tell you, that kid got destroyed. Especially his first year. He got sacked, stood in there and never complained.

Now he's gone, Brandon Jackson is off to the NFL and Adam Carriker's gone. They also lose John Blake, the defensive line coach who was a good recruiter. Now Sam Keller comes in at QB from Arizona State and there's a transition there. Nebraska fans would like to see development in a Callahan quarterback recruit.

This is a convoluted way of saying they're headed in the right direction. Cornhuskers fans have expectations. There are an awful lot of positive things you can point out. Any glaring weakness they want fixed, I'm fairly certain those coaches are trying to get that done.

It's not unlike most places that have tradition and a history of success. It's like Alabama. That's why those kids go there. That's what separates 10 programs from everyone else in college football. There are 10 programs who demand championships and excellence in every way. That's what makes Nebraska, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame special, and if they ever lose that, then their program has really deteriorated.

Nebraska fans would like to see development in a Callahan quarterback recruit.

This is what stands out the most (to me anyway).

Zac Taylor- a JUCO qb, worked out well for us.

Harrison Beck- wash out.

josh freeman- benedict arnold

Patrick Witt- go get em buddy,

Zac Lee- injured Juco recruit, wont know how he pans out because he hasnt stepped onto the field yet.

Joe Ganz, Jordan Adams, Beau Davis- never see the field

as for all the other players, we havent really seen how a lot of the high school guys Callahan have developed because its too early to tell yet, and in all fairness, you shouldnt really judge if a player is a bust or a success if they havent used up all their eligibility. Players can go from six feet under on the depth chart to a starter in a year (Cory Ross is just one example) so who knows what is going to happen.

Nebraska fans would like to see development in a Callahan quarterback recruit.

This is what stands out the most (to me anyway).

Zac Taylor- a JUCO qb, worked out well for us.

Harrison Beck- wash out.

josh freeman- benedict arnold

Patrick Witt- go get em buddy,

Zac Lee- injured Juco recruit, wont know how he pans out because he hasnt stepped onto the field yet.

Joe Ganz, Jordan Adams, Beau Davis- never see the field

as for all the other players, we havent really seen how a lot of the high school guys Callahan have developed because its too early to tell yet, and in all fairness, you shouldnt really judge if a player is a bust or a success if they havent used up all their eligibility. Players can go from six feet under on the depth chart to a starter in a year (Cory Ross is just one example) so who knows what is going to happen.

yes, until cally takes a talented high school qb and makes something out of him, this part of our recrutiing will always be suspect......year 4 coming up and no results yet.....

While this is his fourth year here, the first year he got three two star guys in jordan adams, beau davis, and joey ganz. Im not saying that stars mean everything but you cant say he hasnt done a good job developing them, bc sometimes they just dont have enough talent. I personally think he has done a great job with Ganz. He did wonders with Taylor. He increased his knowledge of the game in huge amounts, and developed his mechanics. Beck just wasnt mature enough to take over a team especially an offense that requires what Callahans does. I think if he would have stuck with the team this year there is no doubt he would have been the starter from day one next year and even this spring. That is taking for granted that he calmed down a little bit and waited his turn, thats not callahans fault. He inherited a good quarterback in Keller and we will see next year how he does. As for Witt, and Lee I most definatley think that Callahan will turn one of them into a great quarterback. The least amount of time one of them will have to start is more than likely three years and they will end up breaking all of Taylors records.

yes, until cally takes a talented high school qb and makes something out of him, this part of our recrutiing will always be suspect......year 4 coming up and no results yet.....

You'd really count that first year of QB's? The class that was put together in less than a month?

You'd really count that first year of QB's? The class that was put together in less than a month?

in my initial post i didnt, but then i went back and threw them in.

ok, less look at this realistically, Josh Freeman played pretty well as a true freshman for K State, especially in their upset of Oklahoma..funny how Prince got the kid on the field midway through his freshman year and he showed some real results......there was no way Cally would have let Josh play ahead of Taylor and the kid figured it out...this is where i have a rub against callahan.....all this complicated/shifty wco bullsh#t that fools no one on defense, but restricts a young qb from "qualifying" to play his freshman year is hurting the recruitment of talented high school kids......this is so damn obvious it is painful.....there are tons of talented freshman qbs that played last year and many who go through their whole college career never playing in a wco system or at least not one that has all the razzle dazzle bullsh#t we see here...and it costs us the chance to land kids that have the ability to play early on in their careers.

ok, less look at this realistically, Josh Freeman played pretty well as a true freshman for K State, especially in their upset of Oklahoma..funny how Prince got the kid on the field midway through his freshman year and he showed some real results......there was no way Cally would have let Josh play ahead of Taylor and the kid figured it out...this is where i have a rub against callahan.....all this complicated/shifty wco bullsh#t that fools no one on defense, but restricts a young qb from "qualifying" to play his freshman year is hurting the recruitment of talented high school kids......this is so damn obvious it is painful.....there are tons of talented freshman qbs that played last year and many who go through their whole college career never playing in a wco system or at least not one that has all the razzle dazzle bullsh#t we see here...and it costs us the chance to land kids that have the ability to play early on in their careers.

What exactly was that score between K State and OU??!!! :dumdum Hmmm name me ONE school who went to a bowl game this past season, start a true Freshman over a Senior????

What exactly was that score between K State and OU??!!! :dumdum Hmmm name me ONE school who went to a bowl game this past season, start a true Freshman over a Senior????

sorry, guess it was Texas they beat......but the fact remains, Cally won't play a freshman at qb, when Prince, Carroll and others will.......especially at USC, their philosophy is to keep it simple and let the young kids with talent on the field........sh#t man, you don't think that doesn't help recruiting??

sorry, guess it was Texas they beat......but the fact remains, Cally won't play a freshman at qb, when Prince, Carroll and others will.......especially at USC, their philosophy is to keep it simple and let the young kids with talent on the field........sh#t man, you don't think that doesn't help recruiting??

You still didn't name ONE school that started a true Freshman over a Sr and actually had enough success to get to a bowl game!! So inturn your philosophy about BC starting a TRUE Frosh over a Sr is debunked! Hmmm what Freshman QB did Carroll exactly start at USC?