WR Wes Kemp

Player: Wes Kemp

Hometown: St. Louis, MO

Position: WR

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 222

40 time: 4.68 (Legit time for once :clap )

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: A Step Ahead: Jim Stefani's Underclassmen Football Recruiting Blog

Kemp is the top receiver in Missouri and among the better receivers in the nation. He has been an impressive performer for a solid DeSmet program since his freshman season…………As a junior he was a First Team Class 6A All-State selection and St. Louis Post-Dispatch Third Team All-Metro honoree after catching 39 passes for 769 yards and 7 TDs………As a sophomore he was a Second Team All-Metro St. Louis selection and Second Team Class 6A All-State aftr leading his team to the 6A state title by hauling in a team-leading 46 balls for 1,062 yards (23.09 avg.) and 7 TDs…………A long-strider with good height who can really go up (34-inch vertical at a combine) and catch the ball. Has the size and strength (18 bench reps as a soph) to overpower overmatched DBs. Not as effective in gaining yardage after the catch. Lacks jets (4.70 soph combine forty, but was injured) and great quickness (4.62 shuttle) but should make a very fine possession receiver in college……… As of mid-January he had offers from such programs as Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi and Michigan State.

Odds of Becoming a Cornhusker: 10% I'm sure Kevin Cosgrove will be recruiting this kid.

• 3 weeks later...

Kemp is the top receiver in Missouri and among the better receivers in the nation. He has been an impressive performer for a solid DeSmet program since his freshman season…………As a junior he was a First Team Class 6A All-State selection and St. Louis Post-Dispatch Third Team All-Metro honoree after catching 39 passes for 769 yards and 7 TDs………As a sophomore he was a Second Team All-Metro St. Louis selection and Second Team Class 6A All-State aftr leading his team to the 6A state title by hauling in a team-leading 46 balls for 1,062 yards (23.09 avg.) and 7 TDs…………A long-strider with good height who can really go up (34-inch vertical at a combine) and catch the ball. Has the size and strength (18 bench reps as a soph) to overpower overmatched DBs. Not as effective in gaining yardage after the catch. Lacks jets (4.70 soph combine forty, but was injured) and great quickness (4.62 shuttle) but should make a very fine possession receiver in college……… As of mid-January he had offers from such programs as Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi and Michigan State.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=633181

Wes Kemp, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound wide receiver from DeSmet Jesuit High School in St. Louis (Mo.), finished his junior season with 42 catches for 780 yards and eight touchdowns. He benches 335 pounds, squats 425 and has a 37-inch vertical jump.

"I think I'm good at physically dominating the cornerbacks because of my size and speed," Kemp said. "I just burn guys because they don't think I'm that fast (4.55 forty). Also, I'm good at blocking the corners for the running back. As long as we score I'm happy.

"I don't see a lot of man-technique in high school and that's what I'm working on a lot in the off-season," he said. "I'm working on my man-on-man coverage so that I'm prepared for the next level."

Kemp has eight scholarship offers but says that Wisconsin and Illinois are his top two. The Badgers and Illini have a slight lead over Missouri, Ole Miss, Kansas State, Iowa and Nebraska. All of his favorites have offered, as well as Kansas and Minnesota.

Growing up, Kemp said he always followed Michigan and Missouri and the Tigers were the first school to offer him last May. The Wolverines, because his brother liked them, and the Tigers because they are close to his house (only one hour and forty-five minutes away). "I love their spread offense," he said "They run like four or five wide all day. It's probably the most receiver-friendly offense in the country.

"It's nice that they are close, but that's not a big factor," Kemp said. "My parents said they just want me to be happy and fit in, so distance won't matter too much."

Kemp plans to attend the Missouri spring game on April 21. He's already been to junior days at Wisconsin and Iowa.

"Wisconsin has really good coaches," Kemp said. "I feel like I connected well with them. They also have state-of-the-art facilities and they finished last year at number seven and are still getting better. They are beginning to throw the ball a lot more and it's just a nice overall college town.

"Iowa is cool too," he said. "I really like coach Kirk Ferentz. He's nice and laid-back. He's just a gentleman. The junior day there was fun because we got to go to their basketball game too."

Kemp is unsure about going to summer camps, but he definitely plans to take a few unofficial visits this spring. He says he'll try to go to Illinois and Nebraska for sure. "Illinois struggled last season, but they have good coaches and it's a place where I feel I could play early and do well.

"Nebraska also has a great new offense and they are throwing the ball a lot more than they used to," Kemp said. "Zac Taylor was a great quarterback and they always seem to get good players. They are always a top 25 team and I'd love to help resurrect them back to their old glory days."

Kemp says that he plans to make an early commitment. "I want to commit in early-to-mid June," he said. "I've already looked at a lot of schools and feel good about the offers I have. I feel comfortable with these schools and should be able to narrow down. I just want to lead my team to a state championship this year and don't want any distractions."

As far the criteria Kemp is using to help him make his choice, he says it's simple, "I'm looking to play early and a lot. That's the main thing for me."

He reports a 3.1 core GPA and a 19 ACT.

• 1 month later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=646754

Wes Kemp, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound wide receiver from DeSmet Jesuit High School in St. Louis (Mo.), now has a total of 10 scholarship offers with his latest coming from Indiana and Michigan State.

Along with the Hoosiers and Spartans, he also has offers from Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ole Miss and Nebraska. Although he remains "very open", he says his top three are Wisconsin, Nebraska and Illinois. Those three have a solid lead over Missouri, Mississippi, Kansas State and Michigan State.

"I also like Michigan a lot too, but they haven't offered," Kemp said. "They'd probably be in my top five if they offered. I love the whole school and that they are a powerhouse every year. They love to pass the ball and always produce great wide receivers. They were at my school not too long ago and I think they will offer me."

Kemp, a Scout.com four-star recruit who is also ranked as the Midlands No. 12 overall prospect, doesn't plan on attending any camps this summer, but he will be taking unofficial visits. "I'll visit Mississippi, Nebraska and Missouri for sure," Kemp said. "I'll have my for-sure top five set this summer and those are the ones that I will visit officially in the fall. I really want to go where I can compete and possibly play early. I'll probably commit after the season ends, in early December."

He says that Illinois is recruiting him the hardest. "I get a lot of text messages from them," he said. "They also send me the most mail. They keep in contact with me about my summer plans and definitely want me to visit them officially."

One of the schools that Kemp is planning on visiting this summer is Nebraska. "They have like four of the top 100 offensive lineman recruits already committed and that's great news for the quarterback," Kemp said. "They also have a top quarterback and throw the ball a lot. They always bring in top players, plus their facilities are second to none. They are a perennial powerhouse and I get along well with coach (recruiting coordinator) Kevin Cosgrove. Coach Cos is really fired-up and an electric guy. I really want to get to know the rest of the coaches too."

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=646754

Wes Kemp, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound wide receiver from DeSmet Jesuit High School in St. Louis (Mo.), now has a total of 10 scholarship offers with his latest coming from Indiana and Michigan State.

Along with the Hoosiers and Spartans, he also has offers from Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ole Miss and Nebraska. Although he remains "very open", he says his top three are Wisconsin, Nebraska and Illinois. Those three have a solid lead over Missouri, Mississippi, Kansas State and Michigan State.

"I also like Michigan a lot too, but they haven't offered," Kemp said. "They'd probably be in my top five if they offered. I love the whole school and that they are a powerhouse every year. They love to pass the ball and always produce great wide receivers. They were at my school not too long ago and I think they will offer me."

Kemp, a Scout.com four-star recruit who is also ranked as the Midlands No. 12 overall prospect, doesn't plan on attending any camps this summer, but he will be taking unofficial visits. "I'll visit Mississippi, Nebraska and Missouri for sure," Kemp said. "I'll have my for-sure top five set this summer and those are the ones that I will visit officially in the fall. I really want to go where I can compete and possibly play early. I'll probably commit after the season ends, in early December."

He says that Illinois is recruiting him the hardest. "I get a lot of text messages from them," he said. "They also send me the most mail. They keep in contact with me about my summer plans and definitely want me to visit them officially."

One of the schools that Kemp is planning on visiting this summer is Nebraska. "They have like four of the top 100 offensive lineman recruits already committed and that's great news for the quarterback," Kemp said. "They also have a top quarterback and throw the ball a lot. They always bring in top players, plus their facilities are second to none. They are a perennial powerhouse and I get along well with coach (recruiting coordinator) Kevin Cosgrove. Coach Cos is really fired-up and an electric guy. I really want to get to know the rest of the coaches too."

if he visits we got him