Why Lucky is our best back

The thing that I thought was Lucky's biggest problem is that he seemed to have difficulties reading blocks and finding holes. We have been so blessed with the power backs that can just make holes that when we get one that has issues being that type of runner people tend to panic. I for one believe, and hope, that this will be a breakout year for Lucky. I think we are finally going to see what he can do this year and I for one am EXCITED!!!!!!!

:bonez

Thats just retarded. Glenn was talked about during spring and through out the year for running with his pads down...You must not pay enough attention. The only reason people "get at his feet"...is they only go for his feet...no one wants to go up on Glenn. And I really hate that you say he has zero pass catching ability...HOW MANY PASSES HAVE BEEN THROWN to him? Get a clue...he is either a decoy or runs up the middle.

If people are going to down him for not catching the ball...throw him one and let him miss it first. Also...not being able to "make people miss"...how difficult is it when 9 people on the field watch u come in the game and load the box...AND STILL has higher YPC.

:yeah

I'm gonna have to agree with this one too. Glenn hasn't had the opportunity to catch the ball. He has rarely been the feature back for a game except IA St. I think he ripped off about 150 yds. And don't tell me lucky can run through tackles. Sure Lucky has made some spectacular runs, and he has the ability to take it to the house everytime w/ his speed, but he also gets stuffed for 0 or negative yds quite a bit too.

Not to mention facts, since they seem to be irrelevant here, but Glenn actually got stuffed behind the line more than Lucky did.... gasp! You dont think if Glenn could catch or pass protect, he would have been in there more in passing situations? His skill set led us to being predictable when he was in there. If a guy is only good for running the power O, you are either gonna run that play or fake that play. And just for fun, here are their stats...

Lucky, Marlon 14-6 141 762 34 728 5.2 6 51 52.0

Glenn, Cody 9-0 71 375 5 370 5.2 8 36 41.1

Notice that the ypc, which Still referred too, were actually a dead heat, not to mention that Glenn racked up nearly half his yards against an overpowered, two win Iowa State team. Now for the receiving stats.

Lucky, Marlon 14-6 32 383 12.0 0 42 27.4

Glenn, Cody 00000000000000000000000000

Sorry, couldnt make it look pretty cuz Glenn didnt catch a ball the whole year. Let us also remember that Lucky got a hell of alot of his carries against USC and Auburn, the two best defenses we played last year, which would obviously affect his ypc. Put Glenn in there in short yardage situations and when Lucky is tired, but thats about it.

Not to mention facts, since they seem to be irrelevant here, but Glenn actually got stuffed behind the line more than Lucky did.... gasp! You dont think if Glenn could catch or pass protect, he would have been in there more in passing situations? His skill set led us to being predictable when he was in there. If a guy is only good for running the power O, you are either gonna run that play or fake that play. And just for fun, here are their stats...

Lucky, Marlon 14-6 141 762 34 728 5.2 6 51 52.0

Glenn, Cody 9-0 71 375 5 370 5.2 8 36 41.1

Notice that the ypc, which Still referred too, were actually a dead heat, not to mention that Glenn racked up nearly half his yards against an overpowered, two win Iowa State team. Now for the receiving stats.

Lucky, Marlon 14-6 32 383 12.0 0 42 27.4

Glenn, Cody 00000000000000000000000000

Sorry, couldnt make it look pretty cuz Glenn didnt catch a ball the whole year. Let us also remember that Lucky got a hell of alot of his carries against USC and Auburn, the two best defenses we played last year, which would obviously affect his ypc. Put Glenn in there in short yardage situations and when Lucky is tired, but thats about it.

I find it quite amusing that you mention that Lucky and Glenns ypc are a dead heat, yet you state that Glenn was put in in short yardage situations. Last I checked, it was hard to gain five yards when you get the ball at the 1 yd line and score. Or they give you the ball on 3rd and 2 w/ 8 defenders in the box. Yet he still maintains an equal ypc.

You state that "lucky got a helll of alot of his carries against USC and Auburn, the two best defenses we played last year" Lets see how he did.

AU 25 for 88 3.5 ypc. Not a bad game his ypc are a little low, but I'll agree it was a tough D. I give you that. USC 10-27 that is a hell of a lot of carries. Not exactly a productive game.

Of course Glenn Never received the ball in those games.

Let's take a look at Luckys good games. He played well against the always tenacious Louisiana Tech D 13-79. Went crazy against Nicholls State a D1 uh i mean D1-AA team 18-103. And had his best game against the Trojans of Troy, not the powerhouse everyone thinks of at USC, 10 - 156 quite a good game.

I hate to point out the FACTS with statistics because you think they are irrevalent, but Lucky's best games were against gravy trains too. And don't tell me about Lucky's pass protection, that is a joke.

I played with Glenn so I'd know. He may not have the best hands out of the back field but he does catch a majority of the passes thrown to him, so get some balls and try if Callahan. Give it to him on a little out route, you think any cornerback in the country wants to tackle the beast head up out there? NOPE, sure dont! I like all the guys stating the statistics and proving some of these Lucky worshipers wrong. but my favorite was Glenns one game as the feature back, which he had about 150 yards and PLAYER OF THE GAME!!! Also another great fact was the yards per carry when he was in on short yardage every time. You bring the power back in, the D loads up the box. You have 5 wr's and one RB, the Defense is spread out....if anything Lucky should have more yards per carry easily, but thats not the case. Just something to think about. Its a nice one two punch, but I think the two punch needs to get it a little more often than he did this past year.

I played with Glenn so I'd know. He may not have the best hands out of the back field but he does catch a majority of the passes thrown to him, so get some balls and try if Callahan. Give it to him on a little out route, you think any cornerback in the country wants to tackle the beast head up out there? NOPE, sure dont! I like all the guys stating the statistics and proving some of these Lucky worshipers wrong. but my favorite was Glenns one game as the feature back, which he had about 150 yards and PLAYER OF THE GAME!!! Also another great fact was the yards per carry when he was in on short yardage every time. You bring the power back in, the D loads up the box. You have 5 wr's and one RB, the Defense is spread out....if anything Lucky should have more yards per carry easily, but thats not the case. Just something to think about. Its a nice one two punch, but I think the two punch needs to get it a little more often than he did this past year.

I like your points except you can only have 4 wr and 1 rb or 5 wr and and empty set. I'm not bashing Lucky, but he hasn't lived up to his hype yet. I think both of them in there would make a great 1-2 combination, but we haven't seen it yet. BJax was by far the best back last year. He gained almost 1000 yards while not being the feature back for the first 4 or 5 games. He shows great signs of burst and speed at times, but the game is not played in the open field. You have to get through the trenches before you get to make 1 on 1 moves.

Not to be negative but this video kind of made me think worse of Lucky... He had some good runs but most the tackles he broke were not form tackles at all and the tackler didnt wrap up. It looked like he would give little effort when he was touched by the first guy. With Glenn dropping weight I really think he will be very hard to compete with. Im thinking next year they will split the carries 50/50 with Wilson or a freshman in there a little to.

But what do I know... The coaches are obviously playing Lucky more because he has something the other backs dont.

the promises have been made for the most part. like it or not, it is his call, that is for sure

Why do people assume that Callahan had to promise Lucky that he would be the man to get him to come here? Wouldn't you think that all the backs were "promised" that? I get tired of the "he was promised teh spot" talk. It sounds like the kids in school that said the only reason they weren't playing is because of their last name. It was weak then and is weak now. Maybe just maybe the coaches see more in Lucky then they do the other two. Just a thought.