Super Bowl Commercial

Fox Sports

DETROIT (AP) - A Super Bowl ad showing a quality-obsessed General Motors Corp. robot jumping off a bridge in a dream sequence after screwing up on the job is drawing criticism from a suicide prevention group.

But the world's largest automaker is defending the ad and says it has no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on GM's Web site after making its broadcast debut during Sunday's big game.

The ad, called "Robot," opens with the machine in question dropping a screw while working on a GM assembly line. It's kicked out of the plant and finds work waving a "Condos for Sale" sign and holding up a speaker at a fast-food joint, all the while appearing saddened by watching shiny, new GM vehicles drive by.

As the Eric Carmen song "All By Myself" plays in the background, the despondent robot leaps off a bridge into the water below, only to wake up inside the darkened factory — waking up from its dream.

The New York-based American Foundation for Suicide Prevention says it started getting complaints the day after the ad aired and as of Thursday had fielded more than 250 e-mails or calls. It wants GM to pull the ad from its Web site, try to get it off video-sharing Web sites such as YouTube and apologize.

"It was inappropriate to use depression and suicide as a way to sell cars," said Robert Gebbia, the foundation's executive director.

The ad is the latest from the Super Bowl to come under fire. Earlier this week, a commercial for Snickers candy bars was benched after complaints that it was homophobic. And aspiring rapper Kevin Federline apologized after a restaurant trade group said it was insulted by an ad that starred him as a fast-food worker.

GM says the robot ad was designed to show the company's obsession with quality, highlighting its enhanced powertrain warranty of five years or 100,000 miles on all new light-duty vehicles starting with 2007 models.

Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of sales, service and marketing, said the automaker had no plans to stop airing the ad. It had a relatively small number of runs scheduled after the Super Bowl, and those will continue, he said.

The ad was screened by focus groups for insensitivity, and all found it amusing and effective in conveying the message about GM's quality, LaNeve said.

"It's a dream sequence. It's not a person, and it's a robot that is a fantasy. I mean, that robot doesn't move around. C'mon," LaNeve said.

In a statement, GM said, "Advertising during the Super Bowl brings instant critiques, both positive and negative," GM said in a statement."

The ad has only aired once, but the online buzz has continued. The company didn't have details on how many times the ad had been watched on its Web site, but on YouTube alone it has drawn more than 350,000 views.

But Lisamarie Miller, 39, of Palatine, Ill., said she'll never buy a GM vehicle after seeing the ad online. The member of a the Chicago-area chapter of AFSP found out about it from the foundation — and has been sharing her disgust online as well as with friends, family and co-workers.

"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 21-year-old brother battled depression before killing himself in 1993. "GM is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."

Alright, are we as a society getting a little out of hand. Anything you do anymore is going to Offend some type of Group. Maybe it is time to n#t up and get over it.

Wow, I can't believe that people are making such a big deal about this. The commercial did its job by getting the peoples attention. If we get so bent out of shape the only commercials that we will see is going to be something like "hey come buy this" though that will probally piss off poor people that can't afford it.

Update Guess Who Caved In

Fox Sports

General Motors to edit robot ad

DETROIT (AP) - General Motors Corp. said Friday it has agreed to edit a Super Bowl commercial that drew criticism from a suicide prevention group for showing a quality-obsessed robot jumping off a bridge in a dream sequence after messing up on the job.

The world's largest automaker previously said it had no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on the company's Web site. The ad made its broadcast debut during Sunday's NFL championship telecast.

But GM spokesman John M. McDonald said the company agreed to change the ad after discussing concerns about it with the New York-based American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

The ad is expected to air again after the changes are made, but a date hasn't been set, McDonald said. He declined to describe what would be changed.

Robert Gebbia, the foundation's executive director, said any reference to suicide was expected to be removed. He said the agreement came after the foundation spoke with GM executives Friday morning about its concerns.

"GM is being very responsive," Gebbia said.

The ad, called "Robot," opens with the machine in question dropping a screw while working on a GM assembly line. The robot is kicked out of the plant and finds work waving a "Condos for Sale" sign and holding up a speaker at a fast-food joint, while appearing saddened by watching shiny, new GM vehicles drive by.

As the Eric Carmen song "All By Myself" plays in the background, the despondent robot leaps off a bridge into the water below, only to wake up inside the darkened factory - waking up from its dream.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention said it started getting complaints the day after the ad aired.

GM says the robot ad was designed to show the company's obsession with quality, highlighting its enhanced powertrain warranty of five years or 100,000 miles on all new light-duty vehicles starting with 2007 models. Part of the ad was filmed at GM's Lansing Grand River assembly plant, which builds Cadillacs.

I guess that is another reason i am not a CEO of a major business. That is a weak responce and Now I will not buy a car that was made by a company that would cave in so easily. They pissed me off, I want to sue for mental anguish and any other B.S. reason we can come up with.

COME ON FELLAS lets make it a class action and we can have a party when they settle.