Article about Joe Dailey on SI.com

Joe Dailey running Coach Solich's offense well and Joe Dailey running Coach Solich's offense well in comparison to Jamal Lord are two completely different things.

Tom

I often forget about Jamal Lord, and when I remember him, I just smile

Man that seems like so long ago!!! :lol:

I still remember the Southern Miss thing too. I was in a bar with 40 other Husker fans, and it was dead silence. Everybody just looked at each other in complete shock, like "what the hell was that?" before we all erupted and started yelling profanities. I wish him well, but I still can't get over that boneheaded play.

"The thing I love about the receiver position -- there's absolutely no thinking behind it," he says. "I'll leave practice after playing wide receiver and not be tired. When I played QB, I'd be mentally exhausted."

The true heart of a champion...

Tom

That, coupled with that last play against Southern Miss pretty much seals it. What is he going to do when/if he is a coach? Show that play and say "don't do this" over and over again. Dailey took a lot of crap for 04, but a lot of it deservedly so. Whether you are an option qb or a passing qb, running out of bounds instead of making an attempt for the end zone or throwing the ball backwards over your shoulder are pretty much inexcusable mistakes. I think we are lucky that Callahan didn't have a mental breakdown after that season.

I love the part in that article where he says the offense NC is running this year is kind of a mix of Gruden and Norv Turner. So couldn't you say that the offense they run is a lot like Callahans? Just wondering.

I want to know what Sanders saw in 03 that made him think Dailey was going to be special. Was it the scab duty against Utah St or the scoreless 2nd half against ISU? He wouldn't have ended up being any better then Lord was. Also didn't Cotton want to pass the ball more but couldn't because of the QB's NU had?(or the fact that Solich was still calling plays dedhoarse<_< )

I am reminded how urban legends start.

OK, it was stupid for Dailey to run out of bounds against Southern Miss, but "instead of diving in the end zone" is just plain stupid.

Joe ran out at the 6. If he has the ability to dive 6 yards into and end zone at a 90-degree angle, why not just make him a half-back and run wide every single play?

Someone has been on his Play Station or X-Box too much.

But Joe SHOULD have thrown the ball into the end zone: give us a chance for a miracle catch or a DI.

I am reminding how urban legends start.

OK, it was stupid for Dailey to run out of bounds against Southern Miss, but "instead of diving in the end zone" is just plain stupid.

Joe ran out at the 6. If he has the ability to dive 6 yards into and end zone at a 90-degree angle, why not just make him a half-back and run wide every single play?

But Joe SHOULD have thrown the ball into the end zone: give us a chance for a miracle catch or a DI.

Wasn't he only a yard or two from the first down? I don't remember it being 4th and goal, just 4th and short.

And for the poster who mentioned the bar....you should have been in the stadium. That was one of the quietest times ive ever heard.

I think the first down marker was at about the one or so. But still, try to run through them, lateral it, DO SOMETHING!!! There was 0:00 and he ran out of bounds.

....Says every Fat, out of shape, non-athletic, never put a jock on in their life, no balls to strap it up, armchair QB in the great 'Husker Nation'. You're probably one of those guys that yells at their kids for not being able to catch a ball on the run as you throw it from your yard chair, even though you are throwing it from your lawn chair with your husker jersey on as you drink a Busch Light. Yeah.....go ahead an run your a$$ out there against a couple of 230lb LB's and a 280lb DE and see how 'let's just wing it' you feel. Shut up.

There's a reason most of us aren't Husker football players. And you know, it's what every Husker QB in recent history prior to that would have done. You think Lord, Crouch, Frost, or Frazier would have just walked out of bounds?

I have respect for Joe Dailey, but that was poor decision-making on his part. You don't give up and expect your fans to sing your praises...

I think the first down marker was at about the one or so. But still, try to run through them, lateral it, DO SOMETHING!!! There was 0:00 and he ran out of bounds.

....Says every Fat, out of shape, non-athletic, never put a jock on in their life, no balls to strap it up, armchair QB in the great 'Husker Nation'. You're probably one of those guys that yells at their kids for not being able to catch a ball on the run as you throw it from your yard chair, even though you are throwing it from your lawn chair with your husker jersey on as you drink a Busch Light. Yeah.....go ahead an run your a$$ out there against a couple of 230lb LB's and a 280lb DE and see how 'let's just wing it' you feel. Shut up.

OK, we have a high school football player on our hands here.

I am sure you are proud as all get out about your 5.3 40-yard dash time, and every year you get better and better as you look back at your glory years.

Gee, superstar, do you REALLY think it's OK for the starting quarterback for the Nebraska Cornhuskers - a legendary football program that has staggering success and HUNDREDS of exceptional athletes who would give their eye-teeth for the opportunity Joe Dailey had - to lack composure so much that he runs out of bounds with time expired instead of throwing the ball into the end zone?

If so, then you are just ANOTHER moron.

What difference does it make if some one can throw a football to determine whether or not he has proper expectations of a Nebraska QB?

What difference does it make if the poster can take on a 280 lb DE? or a 230 lb LB?

None at all.

It's not reasonable to qualify an observer of football by asking them if they can play for the Huskers.

As one of the millions of Husker fans who could not start at QB for the Huskers, let me just say that Joe Dailey, for whatever else his graces might be, sucked at QB for Nebraska.

By the way, your post does not read well. It reads as if written by someone who didn't score above 1400 on his SATs, or above 30 on his ACT.

You probably don't know Hamlet from Macbeth, and likely never solved a Rubic's cube. You probably lift weights and stay in shape running, yet can't get past mid-game on level 5 of a computerized chess game without getting checkmated by a dated piece of software.

Sure you can post to a BBS, but you couldn't code a php script if your life depended on it.

Your kids probably play little league ball, but don't know the Calculus or thermodynamics, and you can't teach them about either one.

I'd like to see you debate a 1550 SAT scorer, or a Wonderlic 46 that's hounding your every word.

Damn you, HBG -- you reminded me about my Rubik's cube. I've had that POS for 2 months and still haven't gotten close to solving that thing.

But, I shall not comment on Dailey. How he reacted to earning his job for the '05 season, which led to his demotion to 4th string QB, really sealed up and took away what little respect I had left for Joe.

I don't even need to mention the USM play. That still pi**es me off 'till this day thinking about him running out of bounds.

OK, we have a high school football player on our hands here.

Nope, I never played HS football.

I am sure you are proud as all get out about your 5.3 40-yard dash time, and every year you get better and better as you look back at your glory years.

Actually I ran about a 4.7 or 4.8. Nothing that is very impressive. And I guess the fact that I didn't play football means I don't have any moments to turn into war stories.

Gee, superstar, do you REALLY think it's OK for the starting quarterback for the Nebraska Cornhuskers - a legendary football program that has staggering success and HUNDREDS of exceptional athletes who would give their eye-teeth for the opportunity Joe Dailey had - to lack composure so much that he runs out of bounds with time expired instead of throwing the ball into the end zone?

And if the ball would have been picked off or thrown into the 3rd row you'd be raking him over the coals for that instead of going out of bounds.

If so, then you are just ANOTHER moron.

Thanks. I'll join you on the bench.

By the way, your post does not read well. It reads as if written by someone who didn't score above 1400 on his SATs, or above 30 on his ACT.

Sorry. I wasn't going for a Pulitzer. I'll try harder next time. I never had to take an SAT. And you're right, I only scored a 30, not above.

You probably don't know Hamlet from Macbeth

You're right.

and likely never solved a Rubic's cube.

I did back in Junior High, but haven't touched one in probably 15 years or so. We actually raced solving the Rubik's 'Links' puzzles to pass the lunch hour.

You probably lift weights and stay in shape running

Lift weights? Nope. I play basketball, golf, run a little and summer softball starts. But no weights.

yet can't get past mid-game on level 5 of a computerized chess game without getting checkmated by a dated piece of software.

I've never played computerized chess before. Never had the desire...probably never will.

Sure you can post to a BBS, but you couldn't code a php script if your life depended on it.

You're right. I'm sorry, can I get a raise of hands of the millions of people that can? Oh and while we're at it, I can't perform a double bypass, analyze explain DNA variances in identical twins, or cure cancer.

Your kids probably play little league ball, but don't know the Calculus or thermodynamics, and you can't teach them about either one.

Only one and he is my step-son. He'll start T-ball for the first time this summer...thanks for asking. As for Calculus (which I took in High School and Calculus 2 in college) or thermodynamics, no he doesn't have a clue and probably won't for some time. He is excited for Kindegarten, is that a required course at 5? But he can write his name, tie his shoes and wipe his own butt. We probably won't throw him on the short bus yet. I'll give you an update in 13 years or so.

I'd like to see you debate a 1550 SAT scorer, or a Wonderlic 46 that's hounding your every word.

Hound away. Sniff around all you want. I'll be sure to leave a little $hit here and there to stick your nose into.

I am reminded how urban legends start.

The first down marker was at the 2 and Dailey went out at the 3. Get your facts straight before attempting to spout off. He wasn't pushed out at the 3. He ran out rather than attempt to get the first down OR MAKE IT TO THE ENDZONE. Maybe his confidence in his passing ability waned due to passes to Nunn and Herian being broken up in the endzone on the previous plays. Maybe he forgot it was 4th down and was trying to save that last 37 seconds. Bonehead move either way.