Trick Plays...

I was watching NFL Live on ESPN and they were talking about Trick Plays and how Sean Payton was the master of Trick Plays. I was wondering what the chances would be that the increased number of Trick Plays we have used under BC is because of his relationship with Sean Payton, as he was the featured coach at the coaching clinic this year.

I love the trick plays and hopefully BC picked some more up this offseason. I hope we can pull a couple more of the creative ones out like the Taylor walking away from the line and the direct snap to Green. Even the just plain HB passes have worked quite a bit the last couple of year.

Look at all the success we've had with trick plays, and the only failure I can really think of was the punt against Auburn.

Oklahoma 2005- HB Pass (Ross to Swift I believe)

USC 2006- Punting Pass (Titchner to Peterson)

K State 2006- Fake FG (Wesch to Teafatiller)

Texas 2006- HB Pass (Lucky to Swift)

Mizzou 2006- WR Reverse Pass (Purify to Nunn)

Colorado 2006- Fake Mistake (Green taking a direct snap)

Colorado 2006- Fake FG (Ganz to Turner)

I'm sure I missed some but those were all plays that helped us to win, get back in the game, or put us in posistion to win.

trick plays are entertaining and fan favorites, when they work.......but they are primarily used as momentum changers and somewhat out of desperation to get a team jump-started. while they are fun to watch, when they work, i am not a fan of them, as they are an admission of a stymied offense.

trick plays are entertaining and fan favorites, when they work.......but they are primarily used as momentum changers and somewhat out of desperation to get a team jump-started. while they are fun to watch, when they work, i am not a fan of them, as they are an admission of a stymied offense.

Yes and No. I wouldn't say our offense was stymied against CU when on the Turner TD catch, but then again I don't know why we did that. Probably because they knew Congdon would miss it anyway.

another reason for trick plays is it makes every team thereafter (whether they worked or not) have to take valuable practice time to cover some of them up. it's almost like a 4th dimension: offense, defense, special teams, trick plays. there was one team we played in college who did swinging gate PAT's and everyday our coaches would get so pissed that week cuz we had to basically learn a whole new scheme for just a couple of plays to defend.

i think callahan used so many trick plays against colorado because he knew we would beat them and wanted to make sure whoever we played in the B12 championship had to take A LOT of practice time to prepare...i like them and i think they're great.

well, in close contests or certain "ideal situations" is when you see most trick plays called, but again, most of the time they are undertaken to jump start a team.
With most coaches, I would agree. Callahan, however, seems to call them even when a momentum change isn't needed or a "jump start". I think he tends to look at trick plays as a means to exploit defensive tendencies. An example that most people no longer consider a "trick" play - but most certainly was considered such when it was initially used - is the reverse. You run it to counter a defense's tendency to over-pursue. It seems that Callahan uses his trick plays in a similar vein.

If reverses count, then there was also a reverse against Texas if I remember correctly.

Also, I really don't think we've lost our edge, because it seems to me as if most of these plays get thought up from week to week in practice, and if the other team has never seen the play before (especially in our case), there is no way they can defend it unless they get lucky. The perfect example of this was the Ganz lining up at kicker play, I mean how can a defensive coordinator hope to blindly prepare for such trickery?