Recruiting an how it translates to the field

None of us really know what the coaches do or can do. I think Norvell is an upgrade, because I think he will actually call the plays at UCLA.

Blake left to help an old friend. And a pay raise.

You hae to put yourself in their position. Very few young ambitious people stay in the same job for too long. Most who start want to run the whole show and will take possibly a position at a less known program, for the opportunity to show their stuff. Just like you would do in your job. You can not expect coaches to hang around for ever anymore. If they do I think they get stale, I think that is what Frank faced. People who did not want to recruit, but were secure. Less drive and dedication normally sets in. I think we have been through this situation just recently. I will take a young hard charge any day. Pelini, fit that mold. Even though I do not like the man, he motivated the kids to play above their abilities. Fresh meat is a good thing. And I think we are going to see changes every year, certainly if we start winning the big ones.

I believe SC has lost 4 or 5 coaches in the last two years.

But if you were to ask a SC fan how many coaches Nebraska had lost they would not have a clue.

I would like to verify 'skersfan's insight into the Trojan Family. I don't have a clue about NU coaches changes. See, 'skersfan' knows what he is talking about.

But if you were to ask a SC fan how many coaches Nebraska had lost they would not have a clue.

I would like to verify 'skersfan's insight into the Trojan Family. I don't have a clue about NU coaches changes. See, 'skersfan' knows what he is talking about.

What would you know Trojan.

Eh? I suspect, as a Trojan fan, he knows quite a bit about SC, including how many coaches have left the program over the last few years...

Eh? I suspect, as a Trojan fan, he knows quite a bit about SC, including how many coaches have left the program over the last few years...

I appologize TarheelTrojan I thought that was aimed at me. My bad.

I appologize TarheelTrojan I thought that was aimed at me. My bad.

No offense taken.

Living in SoCal I get a little information on SC. But I will tell you guys this. The average SC fan is not as dedicated nor as informed about their program as we are ours. Not even close. Of course their are diehard SC fans that rival our top fans no question, but over all we seem to be more into our team than the typical SC fan. And I may add their are a lot more noticable fans since the recent winning streak, bandwagon might be the word for a lot of them.

I like SC and always have, but I am buying UCLA season tickets with a bunch of guys from another board. We will go to games in our Nebraska Red, but cheer for UCLA, except for the SC game for me. I love college football period, just certain teams a little bit more than others.

well, so far i haven't seen any mercenaries here, only coaches who are trying to get better and maybe someday be a head coach too? is that a crime?

Funny, I just came across a similar thread on one of the Ohio State boards wondering why it seemed like all of the assistants are just hanging around for a cup of coffee before moving on. The consensus was just what you said; you can't begrudge an assistant moving on to a head coaching job. It is certainly better than no one being interested in hiring them.

Oh, and curiously this guy popped in the GIS:

William Myles, Jr., Associate Athletic Director, came to Ohio State from the University of Nebraska in 1977 as an assistant football coach to Woody Hayes. At Nebraska he coached both the offensive and defensive line, and linebackers. He also represented Nebraska in Ohio for recruiting football players.

Living in SoCal I get a little information on SC. But I will tell you guys this. The average SC fan is not as dedicated nor as informed about their program as we are ours. Not even close. Of course their are diehard SC fans that rival our top fans no question, but over all we seem to be more into our team than the typical SC fan. And I may add their are a lot more noticable fans since the recent winning streak, bandwagon might be the word for a lot of them.

I like SC and always have, but I am buying UCLA season tickets with a bunch of guys from another board. We will go to games in our Nebraska Red, but cheer for UCLA, except for the SC game for me. I love college football period, just certain teams a little bit more than others.

I am starting to sound like the amen corner for 'skersfan'. I agree with everything above. I would like to add that I think the average SC fan is also "shallow" about their team. Thats why I like this board, Husker fans are much better informed. I like that plan you have on attending FUCLA games dressed in Nebraska red!

Fight On! Go Big Red!

well, so far i haven't seen any mercenaries here, only coaches who are trying to get better and maybe someday be a head coach too? is that a crime?

Funny, I just came across a similar thread on one of the Ohio State boards wondering why it seemed like all of the assistants are just hanging around for a cup of coffee before moving on. The consensus was just what you said; you can't begrudge an assistant moving on to a head coaching job. It is certainly better than no one being interested in hiring them.

Oh, and curiously this guy popped in the GIS:

William Myles, Jr., Associate Athletic Director, came to Ohio State from the University of Nebraska in 1977 as an assistant football coach to Woody Hayes. At Nebraska he coached both the offensive and defensive line, and linebackers. He also represented Nebraska in Ohio for recruiting football players.

I'm not begrudging anyone for striving for thier dream job.....but for alot of coaches for alot of years at NU this was thier dream job and a few more guys like that would be beneficial, thats all I'm trying to say.

I disagree, I think youth in position coaches works better than the old guys. They can actually show how the technique is done. As long as we keep the coordinators we are fine. I know some want to lose one of those immediately though.

Today's athlete has little time of old time bonds and what you did 30 years ago. They want current information from someone that can show them the real ropes..

I think holding on to the old coaches really in the long run hurt Nebraska. Not saying they weren't good coaches, but had settled in their ways. Frank was one that did not feel recruiting was important, or as important as his boss did. Old coach, old ideas.

Just like business you have to be flexible, up with the trend. Sell what the customer wants. Having young coaches with fire and determination and the ability to show the method is good. Keeping pace.

I am 60 I hear it every single day guys. Youth in the market place is good.