kicking game question

who is going to be our kicker this year? is there a race (competition for the job)? will he be better than congdon? (wasn't congdon a freshman all-american?) where is he from? i remember reports during spring, but haven't heard much since. i think this is a terribly overlooked weakness of ours.

and i basically have the same questions about our punter. any info would help so i can be filled in.

wait, one more...who is our special teams coach?

Adi Kunalic will most likely be our kicker this year. If you look in the recruiting section under 2007 signees you can read all about him. He sounds like he is going to be a stud considering he kicks 50+ yard field goals in high school, but that's not college so we'll see. Congdon was supposed to be stud, but instead turned out to not have a leg over 40 yards............(i.e. Cotton Bowl!!! :madash )

Dan Titchener will probably continue to be our punter he's going to be a junior I believe. Had some good punts last year. Special teams are going to be huge for us this year!

Bill Busch is our special teams coach you can read about him here...........Special Teams Coach

Titchener may hold that spot, but Michael Such will give him a run for his money. Alex Henery is the hold-over favorite, and him and Kunalic will battle for kicking duties in fall practice.

Such had some GREAT punts in the Spring game and I think will most certainly challenge Titchener for that spot. I could see split time between Kunalic and Henery with Henery doing the shorter, more accurate required attempts, and Kunalic being the distance guy (esp for kickoffs). I think eventually Kunalic will take over full time as the kicker but he needs some college experience first.

Any way you look at it competition is always good for the team. It enhances part of our team that needs ALOT of help.

Jake Wesch might get thrown in there also but I doubt he will do any place-kicking since he couldn't beat out congdon last year but he might do kick-offs again even though he couldn't even get it to the 10 every time

Actually Wesch consistently kicked them in and out of the endzone. It was Congdon who couldn't kick them to the 10. Don't forget the kickoffs have been moved back 5 yards to the 30.

Titchener may hold that spot, but Michael Such will give him a run for his money. Alex Henery is the hold-over favorite, and him and Kunalic will battle for kicking duties in fall practice.

Such had some GREAT punts in the Spring game and I think will most certainly challenge Titchener for that spot. I could see split time between Kunalic and Henery with Henery doing the shorter, more accurate required attempts, and Kunalic being the distance guy (esp for kickoffs). I think eventually Kunalic will take over full time as the kicker but he needs some college experience first.

Any way you look at it competition is always good for the team. It enhances part of our team that needs ALOT of help.

Such was usually put in positions where he was required to boom it, which he did well. But I was impressed with Titchners accuracy! The highlights I have seen on Kunalic were awesome (50+ yds), He has an incredible long game but I agree with you that it may take some time for him to take over all duties, but it will happen.

Congdon was supposed to be stud, but instead turned out to not have a leg over 40 yards............(i.e. Cotton Bowl!!!

Kansas State? :hmmph

That was a heck of a clutch kick that probably saved the 2005 season from going down the tubes. The kid was pretty much money from inside 40, but he had his difficulties. I hope that whoever replaces him will be able to do as well as he did from those distances and add a little bit more by giving NU an option to kick from 45-50 instead of definitely having to go for a 4th down conversion.

How many 40+ yard field goals was he given a chance on? I know I saw him make 2 in his career, and I can only recall ever watching him kick 4 or 5 (but that is just off memory), anyone care to give me stats?

Our coaching staff didn't give him as much of a chance as they should have, imo. but i don't know the whole story, which is why it's just my opinion