Let the NU bashing begin

Comments from the story on ESPN.com

Might as well pat him on the back. DUI and assault, that would mess up a lot of peoples lives, but not when you are a professional football player for the Univ. of Nebraska, you get to do what you want.

Nebraska proves once again they are the Oakland Raiders of college football (among other schools). They sellout for the championship a la Lawrence Phillips.

The Husker hate stems from the facts this is a 2nd incident and Purify is only being suspended for one game Vs lowly Nevada. I could see a one game suspension if this had been one incident and not involving multiple charges. But, you have two incidents with multiple charges to which he pleads no contest and Purify is back on the the team with a one game suspension. I'm sorry , But that sounds like Nebraska more concerned with winning then sending the proper message about criminal behavior.

Hmm . . .pretty sure if it was somebody lower on the depth chart, he would not be on the team. And to prosport00, these are not kids, they are adults. And a kid getting into trouble is being past curfew. Don't let your loyalty trivialize a serious offense.

Same old Nebraska, let me guess Lawrence Phillips will be the new Running Backs coach.

ALTHOUGH this comes from a user (a Buff fan, nonetheless) on IGN

I'm impressed at how he handled it, and this is coming from a Colorado fan.

and from an Ohio State fan

Wow, at least he's a man about it...

I was just waiting for the suspension to make it nationally and for people to start bashing callahan. I think that a kid in trouble needs something to keep them busy and out of further trouble. The kid isn't allowed to go into a bar, or anywhere else that primarily serves alcohol... for a college kid thats pretty tough. that is the social scene. i'm sure he's being run into the ground... Callahan is a disciplinarian...and he'll do it under the radar of the media.

Might as well pat him on the back. DUI and assault, that would mess up a lot of peoples lives, but not when you are a professional football player for the Univ. of Nebraska, you get to do what you want.

Nebraska proves once again they are the Oakland Raiders of college football (among other schools). They sellout for the championship a la Lawrence Phillips.

The Husker hate stems from the facts this is a 2nd incident and Purify is only being suspended for one game Vs lowly Nevada. I could see a one game suspension if this had been one incident and not involving multiple charges. But, you have two incidents with multiple charges to which he pleads no contest and Purify is back on the the team with a one game suspension. I'm sorry , But that sounds like Nebraska more concerned with winning then sending the proper message about criminal behavior.

Hmm . . .pretty sure if it was somebody lower on the depth chart, he would not be on the team. And to prosport00, these are not kids, they are adults. And a kid getting into trouble is being past curfew. Don't let your loyalty trivialize a serious offense.

Same old Nebraska, let me guess Lawrence Phillips will be the new Running Backs coach.

I guarentee you these are people who just don't want to see Nebraska do good. They are ANTI-Cornhusker!

I have to be honest. I think it's a little shady what NU did by only suspending him for 1 game. I think he deserves at least 4. But I don't think he should be kicked off the team like some people. KU went through the same thing with John Randle back in 2004. He got a domestic violence charge against him and numerous other violations. Mangino did everything in his power to try and get Randle back on the right track. But nothing worked. He was suspended for 4 games after his second violation, then he was dismissed after getting into a fight at a Lawrence night club and urinating in public. That was his 3rd violation and action had to be taken.

I know the situation is a little different with Purify, but he does deserve to sit at least 4, if not 6 games for the two MAJOR mistakes he made. I know he is sorry, but so was Randle. If anything happens again, he should be gone.

As Husker fans though, ya'll should be doing the dance of joy. The outcome is great news for the team....but no necessarily the School.

I think BC did what he thought was right for the kid. I have no problems with others making the comments they are. I know most here would be doing the same if it happened some place else. We were all over Stoops last year about this time. We were certain there were a bunch more to go. It is the job of the fan, no big deal.

The key is, will it help MO over come his problem, or will it make it worse. I think BC is a pretty good judge of character, so I endorse his move. Hopefully MO will take advantage of the opportunity he has been given. BC is taking a lot on his back to do what he has done. Hopefully for BC it is the right decession.

I just think it's laughable that they say we needed Lawrence Phillips to beat Florida. It's not like he scored the winning touchdown, we beat them 62-24.

PRetty sure that Ahman Green could of handled the load and then some. I think our other receivers could of stepped up and handled the load without Purify. I think having Mo in the offense will open up other receivers. They should all be happy. I would not be a bit surprised if Nunn or Swift has a better season in stats than Mo, just b/c of the fact that other teams will pay more attention to Mo.

this kind of thing happens at EVERY program. you can bank on it.

Very true. Callahan could have kicked him off of the team and there still would be people out there not satisfied. Some programs buy their player's parents a huge house and that seems to be ok. Whether we're on top or the bottom, the media still seems to be anti-husker.

look, this is cally's first "experiment" in real discipline (forget Incognito, that one didn't count) with a player he feels has enough character to get it back together. i can almost promise you this, if Mo "pisses backwards" on cally and his gift to let him back on the field, you likely will see a much stronger response from him (cally) the next time one of his kids gets in to trouble.

if cally had already established a history of coddling trouble makers, i could understand a big negative response, but one situation does not make for a trend. let's see how this plays out.

It's Nebraska, thats why you're hearing this. When KSU's Clayton ran over a parking attendant on campus last year, he was suspended for one half of a game. That was for trying to run someone over (in broad daylight) in his car.

No one knows what happened other than Mo, his family, and BC. NO ONE ELSE KNOWS SQUAT. Talk all oyu want about what you read or heard, fact is we dont know.

look, this is cally's first "experiment" in real discipline (forget Incognito, that one didn't count) with a player he feels has enough character to get it back together. i can almost promise you this, if Mo "pisses backwards" on cally and his gift to let him back on the field, you likely will see a much stronger response from him (cally) the next time one of his kids gets in to trouble.

What about Mulkey?

What about Mulkey?

yes, i did forget about him, seemed to be a lot lower profile? seemed different somehow?