IRC chat

Could it be integrated into the board, or would members have to leave the site? If the answer is the former, then we would be up for it, if it was the latter I think we would prefer for members to stay on the board as much as possible. its the only way our advertisers will continue to pay our hosting bills. and w/out them, there is no board. know what im sayin?

Could it be integrated into the board, or would members have to leave the site? If the answer is the former, then we would be up for it, if it was the latter I think we would prefer for members to stay on the board as much as possible. its the only way our advertisers will continue to pay our hosting bills. and w/out them, there is no board. know what im sayin?

The beautiful thing about IRC is that there are limitless ways to connect to it. The most popular one amongst internet-savvy folk is mIRC (www.mirc.com), along with several "modded" versions of mIRC if you will. However, there are so many other options. You can integrate a java-based applet on this server that connects to it (for example, http://www.2ksportsfootball.com/chat/index.php ), there is also a firefox extension that connects to IRC servers, there are instant messaging programs that do the same, etc.

I am guessing the one you would want to go with would be the java applet, but even then, people who are familiar with IRC can still connect whatever way they would want to. PM me if you want details on different applets and installing them I'm quite seasoned in the entire department. Oh, and another thing, you could make a subforum for Board Feedback, or else make a chat forum altogether, and you could provide a link to the chat page (that is on this server, of course) in the forum description and in a sticky.

Hey what do you know, one of the forums I frequent has one built right in to the forum software. http://forums.ffshrine.org/vbjirc/vbjirc.php However, that is vBulletin so I have no idea if there is a similair mod for phpbb2.

OK I swear this is the last thing. I would be more than happy to request wikia to add an extension to Husker Wiki that puts a java applet onto a wiki page and I would connect it to the same room, sort of a sister-site bonding of the two! :)

ok...I'm not that computer savvy or anything but, in layman's terms what is an IRC chat channel?

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet chat or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group (many-to-many) communication in discussion forums called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication and data transfers via private message.

Basically, IRC servers are very advanced and diverse chat based servers, capable of much, much more than just being chatrooms. Channels are individual rooms, so to speak.

You really think adding a java applet is a good idea? In my experience java applets slow things wayyyy down. I'm sure it's not that hard to set up an IRC client independent of the board. It just seems like something that should be off-site.

Depending on your PC, the JRE (java runtime environment) can take a bit to load. But after that performance shouldn't be an issue.

You really think adding a java applet is a good idea? In my experience java applets slow things wayyyy down. I'm sure it's not that hard to set up an IRC client independent of the board. It just seems like something that should be off-site.

You need to read the entire thread...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...