Losing Carriker and Moore, what can we expect?

Hey Everyone,

I just wrote an article in which I discussed the loss of Carriker and Moore and how that will impact our defense this year. I looked back at the 13 times since 2002 that a college team has lost their starting 2 defensive ends to the NFL Draft and I think I gained some good insight. I then tried to apply those insights to what I know and have heard about the Nebraska DE situation and the overall defensive situation for this year.

Here is the link to the blog: http://gobigredfootball.blogspot.com/

Also, towards the bottom of the blog you will see an article about Marlon Lucky and how he is primed for a breakout year. I analyzed his stats vs. those of his contemporary Rivals100 running backs from the 2005 recruiting class and found some interesting stuff.

Anyways, feel free to comment either here or on the blog about any of my writings.

Thanks,

txhuskers

"Having speedy players like Octavien (think a lesser version of the Demorrio Williams of 2003) rushing off of the corner will help to hide some of the loss of pressure that most expect based on the loss of our DE’s from last year."

How can you call Octavien a lesser version of Demorrio Williams when he hasn't even been in a game at DE? For all we know he could be better than Demorrio Williams.

"Having speedy players like Octavien (think a lesser version of the Demorrio Williams of 2003) rushing off of the corner will help to hide some of the loss of pressure that most expect based on the loss of our DE’s from last year."

How can you call Octavien a lesser version of Demorrio Williams when he hasn't even been in a game at DE? For all we know he could be better than Demorrio Williams.

We have also yet to see Octavien start back to back games either. He is an unknown quantity at this point. Could be awesome, could just be ok. I am glad that Brandenburgh is seasoned and there are others that are able to pick up the slack if he is injured again.

I call him a lesser version of Demorrio right now because he hasn't shown that he can be as good as Demorrio. Demorrio ended up being a 4th round draft pick and he ran a 4.5 in the combine and I haven't seen any predictions anywhere that have Octavien being a higher draft pick than 4th round. To predict Octavien to be a better edge rusher right now than Demorrio was would seem foolish, at least to me.