Cosgrove tinkering with Nebraska defense

Cosgrove noted that the Huskers used the three-man front in last year's win over Missouri.

Didn't we only have one sack in that game? That is not enough pressure IMO.

Its tough to sack Daniels as he is very illusive. The idea was to use Major Culbert to keep Daniels from making big plays with his feet, no need to go after him, just contain him, and it worked.

Cosgrove is a poor to fair D Coordinator (look at his ten-year record as UW - ouch). I am not confident his tinkering will amount to anything. Concerns about the D-line (inexperienced), the linebackers (slow) and the DB's (small corners, average safety's) lead me to think this Nebraska season will hinge on the Defense's ability to get it done - or not. If the offense performs and the defense struggles, I think Callahan will have to make a move at DC.

why does Bern-wah sound so much like Bern-ard

But does Cosgrove have access to better players here at Nebraska?

If he does, his record does not show it. Cos' Total Defense rankings 2000-03 at Wisc and 2004-06 at NU.

2000 - 7th in Big ten and 79th nationally.

2001 - 7th in Big ten and 58th nationally.

2002 - 7th in Big ten and 63rd nationally.

2003 - 6th in Big ten and 43rd nationally.

2004 - 8th in Big twelve and 56th nationally.

2005 - 4th in Big twelve and 26th nationally.

2006 - 8th in Big twelve and 56th nationally.

I'm not going to bash Coz. It's a new year, new start. Like most coaches, he is sampling around to get an edge. That's a good thing fellas.

The big plays will happen. Hopefully we will cut down on them, and especially improve on killing drives before they turn into those "big plays". Countdown to kickoff!!!!

But does Cosgrove have access to better players here at Nebraska?

If he does, his record does not show it. Cos' Total Defense rankings 2000-03 at Wisc and 2004-06 at NU.

2000 - 7th in Big ten and 79th nationally.

2001 - 7th in Big ten and 58th nationally.

2002 - 7th in Big ten and 63rd nationally.

2003 - 6th in Big ten and 43rd nationally.

2004 - 8th in Big twelve and 56th nationally.

2005 - 4th in Big twelve and 26th nationally.

2006 - 8th in Big twelve and 56th nationally.

What are the rankings based on, total points, or total yards? Points allowed is the stat that matters. Last year the Huskers were 29th in pts allowed. I'm not disputing that Cosgrove had a few down years in Wisconsin, but he had 2 years where his D was the best in the nation. Doing that once can be considered a fluke, twice, not so much.

Some numbers from NCAA.org for Coz's last 4 seasons with Wisc.

2000- 8-4, #34PPG with 20.4. #79YPG with 391.75

2001- 5-7, #81PPG with 28.8. #58YPG with 370.92

2002- 7-6, #38PPG with 23. #63YPG with 372.93

2003- 7-6, #50PPG with 23.5. #43YPG with 355.

Speaks of average everywhere, not just the defense. We wont know for sure if this is the best he can do or not til we get some of the younger players up and running. Everyone thought McBride was worthless and the heel til the mid 90s also. Wait and see for now.

Cosgrove is a poor to fair D Coordinator (look at his ten-year record as UW - ouch). I am not confident his tinkering will amount to anything. Concerns about the D-line (inexperienced), the linebackers (slow) and the DB's (small corners, average safety's) lead me to think this Nebraska season will hinge on the Defense's ability to get it done - or not. If the offense performs and the defense struggles, I think Callahan will have to make a move at DC.

agreed, good analogy of where Coz stands this year.

Hey guys, I think I told you all about this earlier this year. Turner will be one of the main guys that Corsgrove will be tinkering with. He is one of the most athletic and versatile players on the team. This year teams will be focusing on him because he is the key DE. I could explain more but let's just say it will be a smart move on what he is trying to do.

Hey guys, I think I told you all about this earlier this year. Turner will be one of the main guys that Corsgrove will be tinkering with. He is one of the most athletic and versatile players on the team. This year teams will be focusing on him because he is the key DE. I could explain more but let's just say it will be a smart move on what he is trying to do.

really??

really??

That's Right Buddy!

I agree. There are going to be a lot of guys that are moved around this year and it sounds like there is going to be a lot more versatility and the D is going to give many different looks. Some people think Cosgrove sucks, well, they are entitled to their opinion. I think this season, the defense is going to surprise people(in a good way). If he bombs the d this year, then he might end up on thin ice. Callahan has a lot of trust and respect for Cosgrove.