Local Bloviation

Interesting thoughts on NU.

For comparison, what were their thoughts on ISU?

Actually they were quite realisitic about the seasons of both the Hawks and the Clones. They realize that this is going to be a major transition year at ISU, what with a new coach, a new offensive philosophy, and a lack of talent especially on but not limited to the offensive line. They're predicting maybe 3-4 wins for this program. I think Nebraska is going to put a hurt on them when they come into Lincoln. Suh is going to tear through that O-line like it's toilet paper. And Octavian will be right behind him.

But what this individual was spouting had more to do with ISU finally becoming a dominant force in the north. He sees Chinzik (sp?) as the next step for the program into Big XII Championship territory. He has confidance in this because the only real rival is Nebraska and Mizzery, and in the case of Nebraska well...I already posted his thoughts on that. He and his co-host see Callahan being booted within the next few years, and Nebraska simply fades into the woodwork like a thousand other college programs that have done the same.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Here in my home state there's a weekly show that runs during football season which I like to watch for it's length and general good, solid coverage (with brief commercial breaks) of college football. It's called Cy-Hawk Talk: State of the Nations. This week the guys, who are both talented casters, in my opinion, are breaking down what they think the future of the Hawks and Cyclones.

But somewhere in the midst of the Cyclone preview, the commentator had some pretty negative things to say about Nebraska, Bill Callahan, and the future of our team. His points were:

1) Nebraska is just another team because we no longer run the option. We now have to recruit the same players as the rest of the nation because our system is virtually the same. When Touchdown Tommy came out of college, he had very limited options where he could play and play early. Nebraska among those was the only real choice.

2) Nebraska has not and can not win big games. Eg. Oklahoma, Auburn, Texas, USC, etc.

3) Bill Callahan might win a Big XII championship or two, but Nebraska will never––never––be a yearly 9/10/11 win team, consistently playing for BCS and championship games like we were.

4) For all Callahan's recruiting prowess, four years in we're still recruiting JUCOs by the bushel. Not a good sign.

I have my own thoughts about about his idears about our team, but I'll open the floor to you fine people. Whaddya think? (Although for a hint, Blaine Gabbert comes to mind for a variety of reasons; what he represents in our recruiting as well as what he will soon do for us.)

1) True. We are just another team especially now that we're trying to run the same offense as many other schools. The recruiting of the best talent at certain positions became a lot tougher. However, it seems that we have been able to do that. Like what someone else said though, the defense really hasn't changed. We were out there trying to recruit the same talent on defense 10 years ago that we are today. Frazier was highly sought after by Notre Dame. He didn't have a lot of options, but he did have a couple from some highly touted programs. We have several OL that were drafted long before we ever went to the WCO. Really, the most difficult positions now to recruit to that we didn't have to with the option is the WR position. We just needed blockers there.

2) Nebraska has not won the big game. It's very naive to say we'll never win a big game because lets face it, the suns even shines on a dogs ass every once in a while. KSU beat friggin Texas last year. NU will win a big game as many other schools have won a big game. I have no idea when that will be, but eventually we will win a big game.

3) Weren't we 9-5 last year? If we continue to play this many games per year, I'd say there's a good chance we consistently win 9 games a year.

4) Yeah, we recruit a lot of JUCO players. However, this isn't the thing that concerns me the most. The thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that we're into year 4 of the BC era and have yet to see other than a few plays against KSU a BC recruited QB. This is what I find most troublesome.

Those damned JUCO's. Why do we even recruit players like Purify anyways?

Like I said before.........Mike f'ing Rozier!

For every Mike Rozier there are many Brian Knuckles,' Kenny Wilson's, and Justin Tomerline's. It is all a crapshoot.

Same can be said about HS players. Harrison Beck, Santino Panico, Danny Muy, Curt Dukes, David Horne, Thunder Collins, Robert Rands, Jeff Souder, etc. It is ALL a crapshoot. Some pan out, some don't.

Those damned JUCO's. Why do we even recruit players like Purify anyways?

Like I said before.........Mike f'ing Rozier!

For every Mike Rozier there are many Brian Knuckles,' Kenny Wilson's, and Justin Tomerline's. It is all a crapshoot.

Same can be said about HS players. Harrison Beck, Santino Panico, Danny Muy, Curt Dukes, David Horne, Thunder Collins, Robert Rands, Jeff Souder, etc. It is ALL a crapshoot. Some pan out, some don't.

Exactly!

I've seen Cy-Hawk talk when I've gone to visit my in-laws in Denison, IA. They pretty much seem to believe that the sun rises and sets in Iowa. They're good to listen to if you're a Cyclone or Hawkeye fan, but they act like the team across the Missouri river isn't up to their league. I can't believe that they would say that Nebraska is just like any other team since we no longer run the option. Nebraska is reloading on players each year, and the west coast offense will keep getting better. I'd like to see the CyHawk show if Nebraska piles up points against the Cyclones this year.

I've seen Cy-Hawk talk when I've gone to visit my in-laws in Denison, IA. They pretty much seem to believe that the sun rises and sets in Iowa. They're good to listen to if you're a Cyclone or Hawkeye fan, but they act like the team across the Missouri river isn't up to their league. I can't believe that they would say that Nebraska is just like any other team since we no longer run the option. Nebraska is reloading on players each year, and the west coast offense will keep getting better. I'd like to see the CyHawk show if Nebraska piles up points against the Cyclones this year.

***SNIP***

I can't believe that they would say that Nebraska is just like any other team since we no longer run the option.

***SNIP***

That baffles me. The clear implication is that all teams that don't run the option are "just another team". That means that those who trot out that argument are actually also insulting their own team. I wonder if they realize that they are committing a self-nuke.

***SNIP***

I can't believe that they would say that Nebraska is just like any other team since we no longer run the option.

***SNIP***

That baffles me. The clear implication is that all teams that don't run the option are "just another team". That means that those who trot out that argument are actually also insulting their own team. I wonder if they realize that they are committing a self-nuke.

That's an excellent point. I'm thinking the same thing. Every team in the country competes from and for the same pool, so how does Nebraska suddenly joining this game with a big-time recruiting talent like Callahan put us at a loss? His pro experience and coaching staff have hauled in some fine specimines this year so far, and we're still looking at nabbing a few good picks. I don't see how, without some major wins, ISU is going to develop into the team this guy wants them to be. I think Chinzik is going to take the program up a notch (though it remains to be seen, clearly), but to compete with Callahan on a recruiting level, with the powerhouse that Nebraska is, with the facilities we've got, with the fanbase we have, with the technology we've implemented, and with the players we've got coming in this year and following, good freakin' luck.

As I said, I think his blathering is mostly a delusional wishful thinking. Fun topic, though, lol.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

That's an excellent point. I'm thinking the same thing. Every team in the country competes from and for the same pool, so how does Nebraska suddenly joining this game with a big-time recruiting talent like Callahan put us at a loss? His pro experience and coaching staff have hauled in some fine specimines this year so far, and we're still looking at nabbing a few good picks. I don't see how, without some major wins, ISU is going to develop into the team this guy wants them to be. I think Chinzik is going to take the program up a notch (though it remains to be seen, clearly), but to compete with Callahan on a recruiting level, with the powerhouse that Nebraska is, with the facilities we've got, with the fanbase we have, with the technology we've implemented, and with the players we've got coming in this year and following, good freakin' luck.

As I said, I think his blathering is mostly a delusional wishful thinking. Fun topic, though, lol.

I think the point that's being sidestepped by the "Just another team" remark, was that in being one of the few teams successfully running the option made us stick out (to the delight of us non-conformists everywhere).

Now, we're just another college team with a pro-style offense. (to the delight of conformists somewhere).

I used to associate the Wishbone Offense with Communism, but I see the day when I might accidentally pull for the only team still running it ten years from now just because it's different from anybody else. (Even though I'll still get nightmares of "Sooner Magic".

The competitive option-offense lived and died with Osborne. There is no team that will use it exclusively and win championships. At least old-time Nebraska fans can relish with that.

Time to move on. We are a Corn Coast spread offense with lots of shifting, lots of receivers, and this year we're gonna kick ass and take names. Any questions?