Certain coache's popularity

OK, I have a question for you all. I was reading a story on another website about how great a certain coach is and that he should be given raises, upgrades, etc...

My question is: If this certain coach was a great recruiter, seemed to be a pretty good coach, yet was VERY unpopular and disliked by the same kids he recruited once they got to campus, is that something as a Husker fan that you would like to know? Or would you just prefer the stance of "what I don't know doesn't hurt me."?

i think coaches aren't supposed to be your best friend, some are kown as 'players coach' and some are known as 'hard-asses'. my college coach was an absolute PRICK, we would get so mad at him all week during practice cuz he just broke us down in films and on the field. but come saturday, he rallied everyone and told us how much he loved us and we took all our hatred out on the othe team. we kicked a lot of butt. then, my senior year, he left and we got a new coach who was encouraging and generally a nice guy and we still won a lot of games, but we lost a little of our attitude.

i think there needs to be a good mix, just like a family. to answer the question though, as long as the kids responded to the coaching and felt like they were all in it together and bonded, then it's okay to have a jerk coach, as long as he loves and respects the kids. the rats will jump ship if they don't like it (beck)

today's college coach must wear a lot of different hats, but i really believe he needs to get close to his kids and make them family. he needs to build a bond no one on the outside can break.

I agree Hunter. I had many coaches throughout the years that just pissed me off!!!! However; I ended up having nothing but respect for them in the end.

EVERYONE hates their coaches at one time or another....especially during two-a-days and this part of the season. I mean, they are practicing all day, going to meetings all day....they have no lives right now.

I would completely understand them hating some of the coaches right now.

The bottom line is that it is these coaches responsibilities to do what is right for these kids. The only time I foresee a problem would be if a coach was treating a player in a fashion that made the player feel as if he were unable to live up to his potential BECAUSE of the coach.

If the coach has players best interests at heart, and the player still complains....he is just a pu&&y

This is what separates good coaches from great ones. A good coach can win alot of ball games. A great coach can win the same ball games while the players feel like they are more than a player to the coach. That relationship can be life changing, and it is something that is underated as a tool to get more production from your team.

OK, I have a question for you all. I was reading a story on another website about how great a certain coach is and that he should be given raises, upgrades, etc...

My question is: If this certain coach was a great recruiter, seemed to be a pretty good coach, yet was VERY unpopular and disliked by the same kids he recruited once they got to campus, is that something as a Husker fan that you would like to know? Or would you just prefer the stance of "what I don't know doesn't hurt me."?

Which "certain coach" are you referring to?

A coach has to have a good relationship with his players and I don't remember very many players saying that they hated Osborne, or that he broke them down during the week. I think he was a pretty decent coach.

EVERYONE hates their coaches at one time or another....especially during two-a-days and this part of the season. I mean, they are practicing all day, going to meetings all day....they have no lives right now.

I would completely understand them hating some of the coaches right now.

The bottom line is that it is these coaches responsibilities to do what is right for these kids. The only time I foresee a problem would be if a coach was treating a player in a fashion that made the player feel as if he were unable to live up to his potential BECAUSE of the coach.

If the coach has players best interests at heart, and the player still complains....he is just a pu&&y

if you love the game, you don't hate the coaches because of the schedule/prep time.......its the same everywhere you go (2 a days, etc.)

A coach has to have a good relationship with his players and I don't remember very many players saying that they hated Osborne, or that he broke them down during the week. I think he was a pretty decent coach.

I think I have to agree with OPB on this one. There are many different approaches to coaching and TO is proof you don't always have to been an absolute hard a$$. So....do we get to find out the answer to the million dollar question...."certain coach"?

I think I have to agree with OPB on this one. There are many different approaches to coaching and TO is proof you don't always have to been an absolute hard a$$. So....do we get to find out the answer to the million dollar question...."certain coach"?

IMO, i dont think that it is Callahan, or even an NU coach. From reading on the other boards there is trouble brewing in Faghattan with Prince. I will post an article in another thread to read, and reading between the lines it doesnt look good