Marlon Lucky

He has yet to live up to the 5* hype and that is why recruiting can be so over-rated. You can't measure a guy's heart or mental toughness. From what I have heard about Marlon he is not that tough mentally.

He has yet to produce like his classmates J Stewart and McFadden, and was generally not reguarded as one of the top 25 backs in the country going into this year.

Well if I could tell if a player was hype or the real deal I wouldn't be a firefighter.

Just more crap for the boys on 1620 to stir while they are waiting for the season to start.

:yeah I think he is the real deal, if you go back and look at some highlights you will see that he had some damn good runs, a lot of catches out of the back field and all that kind of good stuff. Besides, it's his junior season, I think a lot of people were thinking that he was going to come in right away and have 200 yard games. This year is his year, he'll have the majority of the carries and more opprotunities to make big plays.

I dont think Lucky has lived up to the hype, the hype he didnt create. He wasnt one of these guys who were running thier mouthes about how f'ing great they are, he just played well in high school, took a D1 sholarship, and has done his best. No he isnt in the same league as McFadden, few are, but that doesnt mean he's a bust! Brandon Jackson was in his fourth year of playing before he became a good RB, Marlon has only played two. As a true soph. he averaged 5.2 yards a carry, and 12 yards a reception, thats pretty good in my book. No he didnt dominate as a frosh or even as a sophomore, but he has played well and it sounds like he has finally gotten his head in the right place, hes a 20 year old kid playing a game that old fat people like to sit around and critique. He has made steady improvements the last two years and hasnt given me a reason to think he wont do the same this year.

Marlon has had some good runs at Nebraska. Actually on another thread they pretty much showed he had surpassed all running backs in the country, and the only one with better stats was Ahman Green. I will try to find that and post it, if someone will tell me how.

That being said. Marlon was a very big fish and a very small pond. If you look at his high school footage you will see he is nearly the largest player on the field. I have never had a lot of faith in him, but after reading the above mentioned article he does seem to be better than I thought.

I have always questioned his heart, determination and desire to be the best. But kids mature at different ages, this maybe his year. I am certainly hoping so, not only for Nebraska, but for himself. He needs to shed the shell and be the man he can be in every aspect.

live up to the hype? No.

played well as a youngster? Yes.

he came here instead of USC cuz he wanted to be a part of the rebuilding process. he wanted to contribute to a proud tradition and stake his claim away from home and on his own. like skersfan said, some kds mature at different times. it sounds like (according to him) he kind of started 'getting it' this summer.

i truly believe there are very few players who can REALLY contibute as a freshman unless their team is the shiznit. like adrian peterson and reggie bush and ahman green, these guys played on teams that only made THEM better not the other way around. Lucky came to a situation where the team wasn't great and he, by himself, wasn't going to make it better. yet, he was thrust into a playing position on an offense he didn't understand, with skills not yet developed, and in a completely different world from highschool in north hollywood.

he showed some flashes of athleticism and made some decent plays, but probably could have redshirted and really been ready for a breakout season this year, his third. it kind of sucks these kids almost demand playing time to consider a school and try to rush to greatness. instead of soaking up the college atmosphere and becoming a better player over time they all want to be Bo Jackson. not everyone is going pro; Lucky may get his chance yet. but could you imagine if he could have just chilled, gotten bigger and stronger and learned the offense, all while not having to live up to the hype as a true freshman on an avergae team? He might be getting twice the hype and exposure and actually be ready for the NFL after this year or next.

just my thoughts on freshman playing too early. i know some guys are ready and we all want instant gratification, but then reality sets in and guys don't play as well or as long as they should. :boxosoap

***SNIP***

He has yet to produce like his classmates J Stewart and McFadden, and was generally not reguarded as one of the top 25 backs in the country going into this year.

While McFadden is a legit star, I don't think a comparison of production is valid. McFadden is playing in a one-dimensional offense, and consequently had significantly more chances to accumulate yardage. Assuming Arkansas (finally) develops a balanced offense (the need for which was borne out by their last three games where the opponents stacked the box and shut down both the team and McFadden), his production will drop. That, and the fact that Arkansas is replacing at least three offensive linemen...