Joe Ganz Speaks Briefly

From the Lincoln Journal Star:

Joe Ganz fielded questions Tuesday, a day after Sam Keller was given the nod over him for the starting quarterback spot.

Here are a couple of his quotes:

"For the first hour (after the news), it was really tough because I had put so much into it these last three years... But I have to be there for my teammates. I can't let myself be down. If Sam gets hurt it (can't) screw up the whole season. I can't allow that. I have too much respect for my coaches and teammates to do that."

"We can't have any drop off at the backup. That's my role right now and I'll accept it and I'll work as hard as I can to be prepared and not let there be any drop off at all."

Ganz handled it with great class, and bordered on emotional as he talked about calling his parents to tell them the news. A story with more reaction is soon coming

No kidding about the class. Very heartening for a young man to be put in this situation and not let it ruin him. I hope I'm not out of line saying this, but it sort of reminds me of another incredible young man who played backup to a superstar and was called upon to step up in a time of desperate need.

Don't let it beat you, Joey. You're still a Husker and I think I speak for everyone here when I say Husker Nation is very proud of you.

He should still get plenty of game action this year. It may be clean up duty but he is still going to give it his all.

Yeah...when we are up by 4 td's on USC he can come in and tack on 2 more scoring drives in the 4th qtr!!! :power:power:power:power:power

hahaha, exactly what I was going to say! How good would it feel to say we put in our second string against them!

:bonez

I can't imagine how hard it was for him to call his parents up and say he still hasn't gotten the chance to be the starter. It's probably akin to calling your parents up and saying "I didn't make the team."

He'll get his chance. I wouldn't doubt we put him in the first game against Nevada during 4th quarter.

Don't let it beat you, Joey. You're still a Husker and I think I speak for everyone here when I say Husker Nation is very proud of you.

Nevertheless, he is a Nebraska Cornhusker, which is a tremendous accomplishment that he will forever be able to brag about. Very, very great of him to realize this and not be greedy like most of the team probably is :)

His parents should be proud of the way he is handling this. Great character is hard to find in young people these days so it's really refreshing when it jumps in your face like this. I'm a Joey Ganz fan!