Lucky, Glenn reunited

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2007 - 10:26:14 pm CDT

LINK

Junior running backs Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn finally reunited on the practice field Wednesday.

“Looked good. Looked good,” was about the most Husker running backs coach Randy Jordan would say about Lucky’s return.

Lucky had missed three straight practices after missing most of last week with a mild concussion.

It was Glenn’s second straight practice after missing more than a week’s worth of action because of a hamstring injury.

Jordan did address the fullback position, where Thomas Lawson, Justin Makovicka, Matt Senske and Andy Sand are still battling for the No. 1 spot. The Huskers are looking to replace the graduated Dane Todd.

"Dane was a good player for us, but those young guys have waited their turn," Jordan said. "They’re coming along real good. It all starts up front, and I tell the guys every day, ‘You get a crease, you got to exploit it.’”

Just because a new guy is coming in at fullback, Jordan said don’t expect the Huskers to use the 2-back set any less.

“We just want to get our 4-and-a-half to five yards a pop,” he said. “If we go 1-back, we do it. If we go 2-back, we do it. It doesn’t matter to me, just as long as every time we touch it we’re trying to get our four-and-a-half yards a carry.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Keller?

The Huskers will name team captains soon, likely early next week.

Will senior quarterback Sam Keller be among them?

Keller doesn’t believe so.

“If I’m picked to be a captain by my own teammates … I just can’t see that happening,” said Keller, who Monday was named the starting quarterback.

Keller, of course, has been in the program only a year. This will be his only season of competition with NU.

“I’d be honored, and I’d be the best in the world for them, but at the same time, it’s tough to imagine yourself being elected captain when you haven’t actually gone to battle with them.

“If I did, boy, what an honor that would be.”

Keller was previously a captain at Arizona State.

By the numbers

4: Reporters confronted — and temporarily denied post-practice access — by a member of the Nebraska State Patrol on Monday. Turns out Gov. Dave Heineman was in the house.

Scouting report: Nevada

Nevada senior outside linebacker Ezra Butler, the Western Athletic Conference’s preseason defensive player of the year, is being withheld from contact during the Wolfpack’s practices because of a separated shoulder.

Last season, Butler led Nevada with 71 tackles, including a WAC-best 17.5 behind the line of scrimmage. He is is one of 43 players on the initial watch list for the 2007 Lombardi Award.

Wolfpack defensive coordinator Ken Wilson told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he expects Butler, who’s started 25 straight games, will be ready for the Sept. 1 season opener at Nebraska.

— Compiled by Brian Rosenthal, Brian Christopherson and Curt McKeever