Back to the Drawing Board

Washusker

The run simply wasn't working for the most part. We ended up having to lean on Keller since our running game got shut down, and he wasn't ready for that, hence the inconsistency.

I think the play calling was fine, with a few notable exceptions. Sure I'd like to see us stick to the run more, but damn, we have 27 yards rushing in the first half...and not for lack of trying. It was pass or nothing.

It was ugly, but at least we won. Last year...we lose that game. Tons of room for improvement, though.

Good point...last year yes we lose this game and also we probably would give up a couple hundred more passing yards against them.

The run simply wasn't working for the most part. We ended up having to lean on Keller since our running game got shut down, and he wasn't ready for that, hence the inconsistency.

I think the play calling was fine, with a few notable exceptions. Sure I'd like to see us stick to the run more, but damn, we have 27 yards rushing in the first half...and not for lack of trying. It was pass or nothing.

It was ugly, but at least we won. Last year...we lose that game. Tons of room for improvement, though.

I agree...there are always exceptions to play calling.....we we put up well over 300 yards on the road.

and I still can't stand Green.

Well look at the bright side then, he was injured and had to leave the game so at least that little perk had to cheer you up bit even if winning the game didn't. Maybe if you are lucky the injury will prove more serious than originally thought and you won't have the burden of watching him play for several more games, maybe the rest of the season.

My take so far....

QB: I know I'm going off 2 games here, so its probably a little too early to be judging Keller, but right now I miss Zac Taylor. Keller threw down the field way too much, and almost never hit his reciever. I don't think he hit a reciever in stride all day. Short efficient passes will do the trick, and Taylor was money at this. Keller missed the short passes too.

RB: Lucky is terrible. Bench him. :sarcasm

WR/TE: First off, I'd like to see the TE's get a little more involved in the passing game. Goes back to short efficient stuff, no need to go down the field as much as we do. Overall i think our WR's are pretty good, its just that they haven't all shown up for the same game yet. If all our WR's show up for USC, i think we'll do great. Purify disapeared in the 2nd half too, i think?

O-Line: Again, we're fine. Just had a rough game, nothing to worry about for the future.

LB: See O-Line reasoning

Secondary: I'd like to say the same thing again, but until I see them actually prove to me that they can go an entire game without getting burnt or making mental errors i cannot say they just had a bad game. But i do think we will see better from them this year.

Overall: I think this will probably our worst game of this year. We truly did play extremely lackluster almost all game. Even our scoring drives seemed to just fall into our laps, nothing really impressed me. So im glad this game is out of the way.

g'day

My complaints with BC today are:

1. Too one-dimensional. He has a habit of abandoning the run (or pass) if it isn't working.

2. His play call on the 3rd-and-2, and his decision to go for it on the 4th-and-2. Really baffled by those decisions/calls.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't .......if he kept going back to the run and it kept getting stuffed we'd all be complaining about that. Too one-dimensional, weren't we that last week?

3rd and two and 4th and two he ran the ball..like you wanted. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

:yeah

if BC calls a play action pass and it gets intercepted, or is incomplete the Haters are screaming WTF was he thinking.

if he punts and gets it blocked same thing

field goal and misses same thing

win or lose some will never be happy with BC

Championship teams have to be lucky from time to time and NU was lucky today.

there were alot of over thrown balls, dropped passes, turnovers, missed tackles and blown defensive assignments out there today. but hell that is BC and KC's fault isnt it, but NU won inspite of them

Has it occurred to anyone (and this could just be me thinking this, tell me if you agree) that maybe Bill Callahan and Kevin Cosgrove were still playing their cards pretty close to the chest today so as not give any potential surprises up to USC? While Wake Forest is a quality opponent (no one is disputing that), Nebraska beat them today, as well they should have. We are clearly a better team than them. Did BC and KC perhaps recognize that maybe they didn't have to bring all their cannons out to win this game, and that was why we saw the 4-3 formation every down and the same runs-up-the-middle and ten-yard passing routes?

EDIT: And obviously, we have some issues to work though execution-wise. Don't blame these on the coaches.

When you are in a dog fight on the road you are not holding anything close to the vest. BD is not a good in game coach. I believe he needs to pass off the play calling duties. And going for it on 4th and 2 running the same play that hasn't worked much all day IS a bad call. You couldn't punt and there was no way the punt was getting blocked on a quick kick trying to pin them back....seriously?

The secondary played terrible on deep pass plays. Thankfully they dropeed a TD and threw a pick in the end zone. A win is a win but we looked very mediocre against a team that ran FOR 2 YARDS last week and we couldn't tackle. Not very encouraging for the rest of the season. Seems like another 8-9 win season if we keep this up.

My complaints with BC today are:

1. Too one-dimensional. He has a habit of abandoning the run (or pass) if it isn't working.

2. His play call on the 3rd-and-2, and his decision to go for it on the 4th-and-2. Really baffled by those decisions/calls.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't .......if he kept going back to the run and it kept getting stuffed we'd all be complaining about that. Too one-dimensional, weren't we that last week?

3rd and two and 4th and two he ran the ball..like you wanted. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

:yeah

if BC calls a play action pass and it gets intercepted, or is incomplete the Haters are screaming WTF was he thinking.

if he punts and gets it blocked same thing

field goal and misses same thing

win or lose some will never be happy with BC

Championship teams have to be lucky from time to time and NU was lucky today.

there were alot of over thrown balls, dropped passes, turnovers, missed tackles and blown defensive assignments out there today. but hell that is BC and KC's fault isnt it, but NU won inspite of them

lets not forget how we got to their 35 basically on the ground(there was one pass) there is no reason to think that we couldnt get 2 yards.

The 4th and 2 play was not executed by the offensive line....Byford got his a$$ blown back and hit Lucky. If he would have not been on roller skates, Lucky probably makes that play.

I agree that Keller needs to check down. I can remember one play he had a TE wide open (no one within 10 yards) and he went deep. Overthrowing Swift and then missing Purify streaking down the field really hurt.

I do think that BC was holding some things back for the the USC game.

Also, I think it is very funny that some people bash BC for his play calling. No matter what he does, some of the fans will never be happy.

It was a bad play call even if the pope called it. Ask anyone outside of the state and you will hear the same thing. Want to know why it was a bad call, because it didn't work at all. The defense knew it was coming. Just like if it worked then it was a good call. That's how it works. The only exception is if someone dropped or fumbled the ball. If you call a play, and the defense predicts it's coming AND it didn't work the play before then it's a bad call. I don't care who called it. BC was not my point at all.