Callahan wants fans Revved up

Source

Callahan Wants Fans 'Revved' and 'Amped' for No. 1 USC

So it’s USC week. Bill Callahan and his staff are camped out in their offices in Lincoln, and Pete Carroll and his staff are hunkered down in LA. The lights are out, the film is on and the little red laser is pointing all over the place trying to detect one team’s advantage over the other team’s weakness.

Callahan and Carroll “may not sleep at all this week because they’ll be trying so hard to out-scheme each other,” Nebraska Athletic Director Steve Pederson laughingly told USC Athletic Director Mike Garrett Monday night on Pederson’s radio program.

Garrett, USC’s first-ever Heisman Trophy winner, said he’s seen Nebraska on TV forever, but never been to Lincoln. “We all finally get to go there and see for ourselves that sea of red,” Garrett said on Sports Nightly. “We’re excited about going back to where Johnny Rodgers played. There can’t be better football fans anywhere in the country.”

Aha, finally, we see a role Nebraska fans can play in this first No. 1 team to visit Memorial Stadium in 29 years. For those 81,000 Husker fans lucky enough to get a ticket into this nationally-televised showdown, there is something you can do – take the noise level to an unprecedented level.

“I know this. They (the Trojans) are going to come in, and they are going to try and audible and check. They do a lot of things at the line of scrimmage, so our fans, our fan base, our stadium . . . it has to be revved up ” Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan said Sunday on his weekly TV show.

“It’s got to be amped up like it never has before to really try and diffuse those checks at the line of scrimmage,” Callahan said. “So, the louder, the better. And hopefully, this will be the loudest stadium ever in the history of Nebraska.”

Tuesday, when someone asked how important crowd noise would be against USC, Callahan didn’t hesitate to seize another opportunity to drive home the same message at his weekly press conference.

“It’s a huge, huge, huge difference,” he said. “I hope our fans out there are listening because I don’t think I have to encourage them to be loud. These are the best fans in football in my eyes. I’m anticipating a loud venue on Saturday night.”

USC Coach Pete Carroll is anticipating the same thing. “I’m sure Nebraska will give us everything we can handle,” Carroll said Tuesday at his press conference. “They’re a fantastic crowd. They get all ramped up. It’s a great atmosphere. That’s what the home field is all about. The crowd is going to do everything it can to make it difficult for us. It’s tremendous opposition, I’m sure. As a team, we have to play over and above all those factors.”

Carroll and Callahan, two former NFL head coaches, love the college crowds and relish how much they can influence the outcome of a game.

For Nebraska football, there seems to be a statistic for just about everything except crowd noise. For that, your opinions are the only stats that count. So, here’s the question: From personal experience, what is the loudest game you can remember watching at Memorial Stadium?

What's the loudest game you can remember at Memorial Stadium? Here is just a sampling from Huskers.com staff.

1978 (17-14 win #4 Nebraska over #1 Oklahoma)

1986 (34-17 win #8 Nebraska over #11 Florida State)

1987 (17-7 loss #1 Nebraska to #2 Oklahoma)

1992 (52-7 win #8-t Nebraska over #8-t Colorado)

1994 (24-7 win #3 Nebraska over #2 Colorado)

2001 (27-10 win #5 Nebraska over #17 Notre Dame)

2001 (20-10 win #3 Nebraska over #2 Oklahoma)

2006 (22-20 loss #17 Nebraska to #5 Texas)

I hope that somehow the stadium can stay revved up even after USC scores. It seems that it all comes to a head too quickly sometimes at ol' Memorial.

I agree; I hope every fan attending the game realizes how important they are in the outcome of this game. Those attending the game have an obligation to make noise everytime USC is in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage; regardless of the score.

The difference between Memorial Stadium being a Lions den and a kittens den is the 60+ crowd. All the drunken college kids and middle aged guys will be loud, thats a given. We need to get the AARP card-bearers to stop with the polite applause and use their vocal chords. If your by one, (politely) ask them to stand up and cheer a bit. I dont expect them to lose their voice, but it'd be nice if they made an effort.

WEAR RED

BE LOUD

Tailgate starts on O Street at 5PM Friday!

I want to see 25,000+ fans at GameDay (9AM - 11AM in the stadium)! Going to be a beautiful day, so come join us at Gameday!

Then for the game - get to your seats early - let's be loud during the pregame warmups. Sometimes everyone trying to get to their seats 15 minutes before kickoff causes bottlenecks. Come early! We need everyone in place and screaming by the Tunnel Walk.

This is going to be EPIC!!! :bonez