Nebraska vs. USC "Reserves"

kgraham7

All i have heard this week was that we were only able to score late in the game against the USC reserves. I just watched the game and on our last touchdown drive, USC still had their starting secondary in the game. Either the media wants everyone to think we suck or they didn't watch the end of the game. This doesn't help our defense out, but i think it shows how our passing game has progressed. Any thoughts?

All i have heard this week was that we were only able to score late in the game against the USC reserves. I just watched the game and on our last touchdown drive, USC still had their starting secondary in the game. Either the media wants everyone to think we suck or they didn't watch the end of the game. This doesn't help our defense out, but i think it shows how our passing game has progressed. Any thoughts?

Do you really want to know the effort level of a player that's up by 39 points over that which is only up by a score? There is a difference mind you. And even if you tell me that in watching that game, you saw that every starter in beginning were the same at the end for USC, I would tell you are mistaken.

That team started coasting and because Pete Carroll has class he did not let it get anymore out of hand than it did.

Do you really want to know the effort level of a player that's up by 39 points over that which is only up by a score? There is a difference mind you. And even if you tell me that in watching that game, you saw that every starter in beginning were the same at the end for USC, I would tell you are mistaken.

That team started coasting and because Pete Carroll has class he did not let it get anymore out of hand than it did.

please.... he went for it on 4th and 4 with his starters still in the game. he let up some, but he hardly coasted

please.... he went for it on 4th and 4 with his starters still in the game. he let up some, but he hardly coasted

Would you have rathered him really open up and continue the onslaught of what he could have or just the 4th and 4?

Would you have rathered him really open up and continue the onslaught of what he could have or just the 4th and 4?

did I not clearly state that he did let up some.... here I'll bold it in the quote for you. you said he coasted... and thats not correct

I'm not saying that they couldn't have scored more, but I haven't heard one good thing about Sam Keller's 389 Yards, because "most of it was against the USC reserves". I'm just saying that calling some of USC DB's reserves, one of them being an all-american in Taylor Mays, is just trying to downplay Nebraska's offensive production. I understand that they were probably not playing as hard as they could have, but they definitely WANTED to blow us out. That was obvious when we scored to make it 42-17 and Carroll started having Booty throw the ball downfield to get another quick score. Plus, if they were blowing us out, why did the starters stay in the game until mid-4th quarter. Thats just asking for ANOTHER injury.

We had them figured out! We wore them down and could punch holes through their defense just like effing Rocky. Yeah. That's what really happened. Right.

I think PC let Booty do a quick score just to say, "See? Way to grind one out at the end of the game. This is how little we'd actually have to try to put 60 or 70 up on you." I don't think they would have had a problem putting 11+ more points up (to break the 60 mark) if PC had really wanted to. You could tell how little they were concerned if you were near the USC bench. From where I was (18th row, 50 yard line :) ) I could easily see players laughing and joking as NU strained to put up enough points to NOT have the score more than doubled on them.

They threw the ball because they needed the practice.

They did not need run practice.

If they had ran the ball it was a certain touchdown. Holes that looked like the West bound 70 near the Colorado border at 2am. Semis could have went through those holes.

We learned one thing from this game. We are not there yet, be it coaching or talent or a combination of both. But we have marching orders of what is needed to overcome our shortfalls. Will we accomplish those is the question?

Keller is good, but does not have the talent around him that he had as ASU it appears to me.

Speed, not evident at Nebraska.

Perhaps i should start over......before, everyone thought we were a good team, worthy of a 14 ranking. After a loss, to the #1 team, everyone is ready to bail. Now we're gonna be lucky to win the big 12 north. I don't think this game is the end of the world. Yeah we got our asses kicked by their running game.......against the best offensive line and running backs we'll see all year. They only other running back we'll see that was as good as theirs is probably Jamaal Charles. I think our team will be just fine, especially offensively. I'm a die-hard fan who was their until the final whistle of the USC game, so i wouldn't expect the fair-weather or bandwagon fans to understand how i feel. (that is not in reference to the people responding to this thread) GO SKERS!

Perhaps i should start over......before, everyone thought we were a good team, worthy of a 14 ranking. After a loss, to the #1 team, everyone is ready to bail. Now we're gonna be lucky to win the big 12 north. I don't think this game is the end of the world. Yeah we got our asses kicked by their running game.......against the best offensive line and running backs we'll see all year. They only other running back we'll see that was as good as theirs is probably Jamaal Charles. I think our team will be just fine, especially offensively. I'm a die-hard fan who was their until the final whistle of the USC game, so i wouldn't expect the fair-weather or bandwagon fans to understand how i feel. (that is not in reference to the people responding to this thread) GO SKERS!

You know, every year of my 42 since I could play, watch, and coach football, Nebraska has been my one entertainment. I will not lie, the year they finally won number three, I shed tears because my family (personal) of diehard Huskers had waited so long to see it and it finally had come again. I started out with high hopes every year that Osborne took his teams to the field, always believing they had a shot, without question. Well that feeling I used to get, and even with lowly Solich and his game calling ability, I still managed to believe sincerely. But with this coach and how he has implemented this offense and the shabby defense, the enthusiam that just goes away and then makes the next week a guessing game, we are in trouble. Maybe not to the extent of losing seasons, but mediocre at best is what is in store for us until this man is gone.

I no longer have that feeling about the Huskers that with a new year comes the hope and expectations of success because under Callahan, that is but a pipe dream, get used to it. It's like the Red Sox, right now they are just finding ways to screw it up and it isn't the players fault.

Being a national contender is a "pipe dream"? That's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard. Last year we were out-manned in 4 games (USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn). I feel as if USC could have been closer with a different game plan, we should have beat texas, statistically we beat oklahoma and auburn. We have the weapons. I think our defensive game plan always seems to be off, but offensively, i feel like we are ready to compete. Even against USC this year, we were able to move the ball with the passing game. I feel like our offensive line could use some "muscle". We keep getting top recruits, but callahan keeps playing the players who have been here for 3 years. Big-time teams often use their freshmen just to see what they can do, but we rarely use ours in extended minutes. Also, i feel like calling us "mediocre" is an overstatement. Out of the 119 teams, we're in the top 20! Thats hardly mediocre. As far as ranked teams, maybe we are, but I laugh when i hear about teams having their "first 4-0 start in 20 years", or their "first bowl appearance in 10 years". These events are commonplace in Nebraska, save for a few of the last 40 seasons. I think we're still among the top 20 teams, but maybe we aren't ready for another national title, but thats okay. Only one team is able to win a national championship and i don't think its the end of the world that we're not that team. Fans in the 1990's were spoiled! Thanks for the debate! I just wish everyone would keep the faith and continue to support the team!!

Bail? Where are we going to go? Or do you mean like in a sinking boat? Trying to remove water more quickly than it comes in?

Seriously, I don't think that saying that I don't think we deserve that ranking does *anything* to the team. If we lose to ball state, I'll still be a fan, I'll just be an angry, critical fan.