Paul Waiting for Chance to Shine

husker rob

NU's Paul waiting for chance to shine

BY NICK RUBEK

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

Nebraska receiver Niles Paul has seen limited playing time this season. "I want to show (the coaches) that I can play, kind of gain some respect," Paul said. "If that's on special teams, I guess that's where I start."Phillip Bates was the quarterback prospect who went to Iowa State.

Through three games of their freshman seasons, the former Omaha North teammates have the same number of catches: one.

And the bigger catch of the two belongs to Bates, who hauled in a clutch grab to set up the game-winning field goal for the Cyclones against Iowa on Saturday.

Paul, who talked extensively before getting to Lincoln about producing as a freshman, was a bit frustrated after a second straight week of inactivity.

"It's tough, because I know I can go out there and make big plays," Paul said. "I've talked to Coach (Bill) Callahan, and he just reminds me to be patient. There's a lot of trust in these seniors that I'm behind. But yeah, it's hard."

Freshman running back Quentin Castille, another touted recruit, is biding his time as well.

Listed No. 2 at running back on the depth chart for the season opener, Castille found the end zone twice in the blowout win over Nevada. The 6-1, 240-pound Castille took a back seat in last week's loss to USC, although he did deliver a huge blow on kickoff coverage that forced one Trojan out of the game.

His limited role isn't due to lack of performance, coaches say.

"He had limited time in the USC game because of the nature of the game," offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. "We're still going to keep feeding him and keep pushing him. He's going to play a lot of football. He has done nothing at all (wrong), so don't read that into it."

Receivers coach Randy Jordan had much the same to say about Paul, whom Jordan said has "a bright future."

"Niles is getting there," Jordan said. "We're hoping that this week we can get him in a little bit more. My plan is to get him more reps as the situation dictates. He's going to be fine."

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Paul arrived in Lincoln as a Parade All-American regarded as a threat both down the field and in traffic.

But after a single catch against Nevada in the season opener, Paul's contributions have been limited to special teams.

"I want to show (the coaches) that I can play, kind of gain some respect," Paul said. "If that's on special teams, I guess that's where I start."

Paul was encouraged by Callahan's statements Tuesday that positions "across the board" would be re-evaluated throughout the week of practice.

"It's something I want to hear before every game," Paul said of the open competition.

Although Paul said there was a "little regret" to not redshirting, he said he does enjoy helping out where he can.

"I would rather be out there with a tiny role," he said, "than not contributing at all."

:thumbs:thumbs

NU's Paul waiting for chance to shine

BY NICK RUBEK

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

Nebraska receiver Niles Paul has seen limited playing time this season. "I want to show (the coaches) that I can play, kind of gain some respect," Paul said. "If that's on special teams, I guess that's where I start."Phillip Bates was the quarterback prospect who went to Iowa State.

Through three games of their freshman seasons, the former Omaha North teammates have the same number of catches: one.

And the bigger catch of the two belongs to Bates, who hauled in a clutch grab to set up the game-winning field goal for the Cyclones against Iowa on Saturday.

Paul, who talked extensively before getting to Lincoln about producing as a freshman, was a bit frustrated after a second straight week of inactivity.

"It's tough, because I know I can go out there and make big plays," Paul said. "I've talked to Coach (Bill) Callahan, and he just reminds me to be patient. There's a lot of trust in these seniors that I'm behind. But yeah, it's hard."

Freshman running back Quentin Castille, another touted recruit, is biding his time as well.

Listed No. 2 at running back on the depth chart for the season opener, Castille found the end zone twice in the blowout win over Nevada. The 6-1, 240-pound Castille took a back seat in last week's loss to USC, although he did deliver a huge blow on kickoff coverage that forced one Trojan out of the game.

His limited role isn't due to lack of performance, coaches say.

"He had limited time in the USC game because of the nature of the game," offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. "We're still going to keep feeding him and keep pushing him. He's going to play a lot of football. He has done nothing at all (wrong), so don't read that into it."

Receivers coach Randy Jordan had much the same to say about Paul, whom Jordan said has "a bright future."

"Niles is getting there," Jordan said. "We're hoping that this week we can get him in a little bit more. My plan is to get him more reps as the situation dictates. He's going to be fine."

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Paul arrived in Lincoln as a Parade All-American regarded as a threat both down the field and in traffic.

But after a single catch against Nevada in the season opener, Paul's contributions have been limited to special teams.

"I want to show (the coaches) that I can play, kind of gain some respect," Paul said. "If that's on special teams, I guess that's where I start."

Paul was encouraged by Callahan's statements Tuesday that positions "across the board" would be re-evaluated throughout the week of practice.

"It's something I want to hear before every game," Paul said of the open competition.

Although Paul said there was a "little regret" to not redshirting, he said he does enjoy helping out where he can.

"I would rather be out there with a tiny role," he said, "than not contributing at all."

GREAT TOPIC!!!!!!!!! :thumbs

If they are going to use his redshirt year play playing special teams then they might as well find time for him. Even if he doesn't understand the playbook he understand at least 10 passing plays. So they can get him on the field. He should have never been on special teams if the plan wasn't to get more playing time. We don't have anyone else to play special teams??? I hope they don't waste this year of eligibility. Same goes for Castille, because he will be a soph when we still have Glenn and Lucky. That means we will only have 2 years of Castille getting a bulk of carries. BC and staff owe it to these kids who gave up a year of eligibility to help the team to make sure it was worth the sacrifice.

The Huskers could use a game breaker or threat, to turn a 5 yarder into a long score. Dont know if Niles can do that but I'd like to see him get the opportunity that is going to Hardy.

Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Florida, Ohio State, etc, all seem to have "that guy" year after year. Gotta be somebody on our depth chart that can be that guy. Or so you would think. Not a whole lot of YAC from our current group. Shake and bake, make a move, then fly down field.

As much as I support Callahan, one thing that drives me nuts is his stubborness to dummy down the playbook a bit to get the best athletes on the field! I am getting sick and tired of watching a bunch of white guys running routes and having no chance of breaking big plays because we don't have our best athletes on the field! I'm not asking Cally to limit the playbook, but just to have a few set packages where we run out some athletes and tell Keller that if the D gives us this look we run simple play A and if they give us a different look we run simple play B!!! Paul, Holt, Purify and the other athletes need to be on the field at once...imagine how many holes we would actually open up for Hollywood (Lucky) if we spread the field with a bunch of athletes and ran out of those formations instead of trying to overpower lines like USC with 3 or 4 guys who are going to the league compared to 2, maybe 3, OL for us who will be going to the league!