what makes us the experts

formerfan8

We don't need to know HOW something is done to be able to recognize when something is done WELL.

I have no idea how to play the cello. But I can certainly pick out an ace cellist.

Could you? Would you even know where to start? Just curious because I know there's no way I could. I might be able to differentiate a scrub from someone who was decent but not decent versus ace.

I've actually taken a more active role in my football viewing this year. I, probably unlike most of you, never played football. I know the basics but have never had a knowledge of the in-depth strategies and what-not. This year I've started doing a bit more research to be able to spot defensive schemes and delve into theory/strategy but I am by no means an expert.

That being said, which I do agree with papersun87 to an extent, I can quite easily recognize when the defense is this bad.

Jeezy Pete's, they ask the man on the street what to do about Iraq, health care, and everything else. What's wrong with a bunch of fans pontificating on the state of Husker football? It's a bogus question to begin with cuz nobody has to be informed to offer an opinion on a message board. Take everything with a grain of salt. The internet is proof that there is no intelligent life on earth.

610 yards to Ball State.

Case closed.

I am not saying Cosgrove is the right fit or that he doesnt need to be moved on, just that Cally or others may know something we don't. When everyone wanted Bohl's head, he was 1 year off having a defense that was in the top 10 in most defensive categories. I agree Solich was bad, not b/c of his coaching but b/c he couldnt look you straight in the eye and recruit. Recruiting is key and we are doing that.

Ball St game was terrible, but you have to hit bottom to rise to the top. Maybe this was it.

The reason the D was a year away from being in the top 10 was because Bohl wasn't coaching it the next year. Coz's D does remind me a lot of Bohl's D. Everyone out there runs around like a chicken with their head cut off and has no idea where the ball is or where it's going. Once Pelini got a hold of Demario, he made him a completely different player. When Bohl had him, I thought he was one of the biggest busts to ever be called a Blackshirt.

Typically when dynasties are built, rock bottom is hit the first. We're hitting rock bottom in year 4. Even though we all hated the losing season in 04', I think it was almost expected. I don't think anyone, coaching staff included, saw the meltdown of the D coming this year. Last year, everyone was anticipating this year because Bowman and Octavian were coming back after being out for the year with injuries. We have them back, and we're worse. I don't think last year's front 4 got the kudos they deserved. The D this year was supposed to be better than last year. Anybody think it's better than last year's D?

no and once again, i said BEFORE the season started the front 4 were going to be a liability for us, but i had no idea it would be this bad. having said that and knowing the coaches could see it in fall practice (hope they aren't that blind) they should have been preparing some alternative schemes to compensate for the weak front 4 play, that they KNEW was going to be a problem.

maybe they have done all the tweaking they can do at this point, maybe there is little left to do, but let it "play out", but i think that isn't the case at all and the sad part of this whole thing is it looks to me like Coz is at a standstill and has resolved that it will be what it is, which isn't good.

cally is sticking up for him, as you would expect, but i think he knows he is on thin ice and absent a huge turnaround, he will be forced out at the end of the year. the wco's slow progress can be explained due to it's complexity and need for skill players at many positions, but the plain lack of fire and effort in the defense is just inexcusable. without any attitude, no matter how good or bad your players are, a defense will suffer.

having said that, there still may be some improvement, but honestly the kids look so far out of position to make plays i think Coz has got them "screwed up in the head" and they don't know where to fill gap responsibility or flow to the ball. when things are desperate and it is translated by the coach the kids can get confused, they LOOK confused, i am afraid Coz has lost his guys.

Simply put, Callahan is not a good fit for NU.

I believe Callahan is a good man, but not a good coach and not a good fit in Lincoln. Perhaps at another school he would have success, but so far it's not happening here.

I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be one, but in the 4th year of the Callahan years, shouldn't we see more than what we're seeing? It's going to be a struggle for us to win a very weak Big 12 North.

I believe Callahan is a good man, but not a good coach and not a good fit in Lincoln. Perhaps at another school he would have success, but so far it's not happening here.

I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be one, but in the 4th year of the Callahan years, shouldn't we see more than what we're seeing? It's going to be a struggle for us to win a very weak Big 12 North.

maybe this years team just is not as good as you all (fans) thought. I also was wondering what has happened to recruiting? You guys were getting pretty good players during your NC days, but now, it just looks like you are not getting the atheletes you used to. What has happened? Oklahoma seems to still get the great players. The only reason i chose Oklahoma is because it was NU and them back in the day fighting it out for NCs. why are they still getting the players and it seems NU is not? And what has happened to the walk-on program?

maybe this years team just is not as good as you all (fans) thought. I also was wondering what has happened to recruiting? You guys were getting pretty good players during your NC days, but now, it just looks like you are not getting the atheletes you used to. What has happened? Oklahoma seems to still get the great players. The only reason i chose Oklahoma is because it was NU and them back in the day fighting it out for NCs. why are they still getting the players and it seems NU is not? And what has happened to the walk-on program?

Yes, and Yes and Yes.

Please don't say as good as "you all" thought. There are many people who new BC wouldn't turn it around this year and predicted 9 wins including the bowl game (or less). BC is the wrong fit for the Big 12. He belongs in the Pac-10 or Mountain West.

Stoops & Co. can easily go to Texas to recruit and offer schollies. OU has been doing it forever. The recruit wont get too home sick. Just drive across the Red River. And basically, the top athletes in Texas get to pick: UT or OU? The majority of the next tier chooses the other Texas schools. Then after that a few will go outside.

Stoops & Co. can easily go to Texas to recruit and offer schollies. OU has been doing it forever. The recruit wont get too home sick. Just drive across the Red River. And basically, the top athletes in Texas get to pick: UT or OU? The majority of the next tier chooses the other Texas schools. Then after that a few will go outside.

True but NU has always recruited well in Cali and AZ. Also, we should be getting more JC guys for defense when you know your entire line was leaving and the new guys suck.

Nebraska still has to hit Texas hard for recruiting because of the sheer number of players available. More than 50 percent of high school football players in the ENTIRE COUNTRY are in Texas.

Why is it that everyone on this board is an expert? If you are all such great coaches, get a job or submit your resume to Cally. Everyone trashes the coaches, yet i doubt if any of us could do better. Everyone hated Solich and Bohl, yet they and their staffs have put together pretty good programs where they are now. Were they stupid but became educated? No, it just wasnt their time. I agree that some schools are not a good fit for certain people, but all current Big Red Fans have to realize that the NCAA wanted parody and they have it. Okla was great, sucked and now good again, same for USC, and Penn St. Notre Dame was consistantly good, now terrible. Do you really think Weis got stupid overnight? The best thing for Nebraska football is for the fans to support the teams win or lose. No kid will come here to be booed by the fans. Nebraska fans owe the coaches and players an apology.

Did you hear the interview with solich on 1480 last friday? He completely changed his philosophy according to him. So, maybe they didn't get all edumacated, but they sure learned a lesson by getting canned.

And if you're so good at judging people's strengths and weaknesses, why don't you get a job as a human resources director? (See how dumb that argument is?)

"Wasn't their time"... what kind of magical talk is that? Jupiter was in the house of Mars having a cocktail with Venus, while Neptune had water; he was the DD. I'm going to start using that excuse whenever I screw things up from now on. Did you notices how much better the program started doing once Solich fired Bohl and changed his coaching staff up?

I don't have anything against solich-- I wish he had gotten another year, but to use some incisive analysis to conclude that it "wasn't his time" is silly and useless.

Brook Berringer and Scott Frost were booed. The last time I checked, the roster is still full. The only apology there needs to be is Pud apologizing to Husker Nation. The Skers need to man up and find out what they're made of because the crap that was displayed Saturday is not going to cut it.

You can go ahead and compare NU to OU, Miami, Alabama, etc. all you want. However, NU has never been placed on probation. IMO, it's not even an apples to apples comparison.

This D isn't a scab thrown together D. We're in year 4 of this administration, and our D is bar none the worst it's been since these coaches have been here. We were supposed to have a better D than last year, but so far we're much worse. We are now in the time when we need a severe gut check. We cannot continue to play as we have over the last 3 weeks, or we're going to crumble throughout the season. This D is regressing. This trend has got to stop. Coz, Octavian, etc. need to stop worrying about fans booing and figure out how they're going to fix this huge problem. If the problem isn't fixed and fixed immediately, it will eventually trickle down to the rest of the team. Steve Spurrier realized that trying to win shootouts eventually leads to the beatdown they sustained against NU in 05'. So, he hired Bob Stoops to come in and fix his D. NU needs to have a strong D in order to ever have much success.

Yeah, Frost should have been booed after getting shut out 0-19.