chamrocck

Player: Keenan Davis

Hometown: Cedar Rapids, IA

Position: WR

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 188 lbs.

40 time: 4.52

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Big Red Report: :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: May be the top prospect in 2009 from IA; On the 2009 Rivals 100 To Watch List.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 30% Likely to be a border war between us and Iowa.

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Iowa's to lose, but still keeping his options open:

Tough Mentality

By Allen Wallace

National Recruiting Editor

Posted May 21, 2008

Keenan Davis says that Iowa is recruiting him the hardest. "I get a lot of mail from all the coaches and I like them all," Davis said. "I really have a great relationship with (offensive line) coach Reese Morgan and (wide receiver) coach Erik Campbell. They told me I'd be their X receiver and the main guy they'd throw to. They even said they see me returning punts or kick-offs. I'd be like..."

Keenan Davis, the 6-foot-3, 195-pound four-star wide receiver from George Washington High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, finished his junior season with 1,160 yards receiving on 81 catches for 13 touchdowns. He also had two punts returned for scores and one rushing touchdown. Washington High had an 8-3 record, reaching the state 4A quarterfinals.

"I run good routes and I can go up and get the ball," Davis said. "I'm a competitor and I can't take losing. I just really always want to win. My mentality is that either I'll get the ball, or nobody gets the ball."

Davis says he can bench 210-pounds, squat 500 and has a 36-inch vertical jump. "Ever since I was a freshman our team would wake up at 6:30 am and go lifting and running as a team. It's just our routine."

Davis says there are a few things he'd also like to improve on outside of his regular routine. "I want to get better at getting off the ball from jams," he said. "I also want to work on coming back to the ball on catches and get better position on it."

Davis, ranked as the No. 13 wide receiver in the country by Scout.com, has 10 scholarship offers and now favors Iowa solidly over Illinois, Oklahoma, Colorado and Kansas. All of his favorites have offered as well as Arizona State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Cincinnati and Minnesota.

The Hawkeyes were the first school to offer Davis in September. "I'm like 25 minutes away from Iowa and I've gone to a lot of there games and been to the campus a lot," he said. "It's really been the main team I've followed. I love it there. The atmosphere is great and the Iowa fans go crazy. It's a lot of fun to be around all those people. They recruit my school really well and I know a lot of the guys on the team already."

He says that Iowa is also recruiting him the hardest. "I get a lot of mail from all the coaches and I like them all," Davis said. "I really have a great relationship with (offensive line) coach Reese Morgan and (wide receiver) coach Erik Campbell. They told me I'd be their X receiver and the main guy they'd throw to. They even said they see me returning punts or kick-offs. I'd be like 'the' guy."

The Hawkeyes have a lot going for them and even Davis' parents favor Iowa. "They really want to be able to see me play," he said. "It's their main thing, but they told me that it's going to be my decision. I'd like to be somewhat close, but sometimes it's good to get away. If I find the perfect place for me then distance won't matter."

Iowa is the only school that Davis has actually visited, but that should change this summer. Another school that he plans to check out is Illinois

"I've talked with coach Ron Zook and the wide receiver coach and they told me that they are really looking for a big-time wide receiver," he said. "They said they need a guy that will step up and make some big catches and think I could be the guy for them. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play next season. They had a great year and hopefully they can keep it going."

Another school that Davis hopes is able to keep up their momentum is Kansas. "I think they'll do well next year," he said. "I didn't really pay much attention to them year until the end of the season. I'll definitely be watching them from the beginning of the season this year."

Davis says he'd also like to visit Colorado because he's heard such great things about Boulder. "A guy from our high school (senior fullback for the Buffs Maurice Cantrell) went there and I always checked on them to see how he was doing," he said. "I'm just curious about them. I know they are rebuilding and getting better every year.

"I also like Oklahoma, especially how they are always a good team," he said. "My coaches think that I'd fit in with their style pretty well. They've been sending me some handwritten letters and I'm looking forward to developing a relationship with their coaches. I haven't really talked with them yet, but I'm definitely interested."

Despite the Hawkeyes seemingly big advantage, Davis says he's not close to making a decision. "I'm trying to wait it out," he said. "I want to take my time and hope to make a decision during the season.

"I want a school with a good social life on the campus and I want to like living there," Davis said. "I really want to fit into the offense too and go where they actually throw the ball. I think my visits will really help me get a better feel for what I want and what I don't want."

Davis reports a 2.5 core GPA and is taking the ACT in June.

Can probably put our chances down to about 5%. Apparently he wasn't watching our offense last year. It will be a neat trick for Iowa to throw all 10 of its complete passes per game to him. When you are 11th in the Big 10 in offense, I guess most of the offensive positions will be wide open.

• 1 month later...