Corey McKeon

np_husker

I guess if I chime in with my opinion I won't be the only one, huh? ha

I'm not attacking Corey when I say he's the least talented MLB we've had here in about 12 years. This is my opinion but it was formed by listening to someone that watched practice every day for several years and also from a couple of former All-Americans I got to speak with last Saturday. Hearing former players and people inside the program break down their honest assessment of a player is both highly encouraging and incredibly disheartening at the same time. Hearing about the physical talents of guys like Dillard, Octavien and Thenarse are nice, but hearing how players like Ruud and McKeon cannot be taught the fire to want to destroy blockers to get to the ball carrier sucks.

The fact that Zack Bowman is the only player NOT wearing his blackshirt is also telling. The rest of the guys need to follow the lead of their captain and prepare hard and try to EARN that jersey.

At least our offense is playing well. That Keller kid isn't too bad!

Here's more info about McKeon's news conference (journalstar.com). I am hugely disgusted in McKeon...

Corey McKeon speaks

Husker linebacker Corey McKeon, after a couple weeks of silence, spoke to the media at Tuesday's press conference.

McKeon said something interesting with about every answer he gave. Here's some of it:

"I talked to Coach Coz at 12:30 last night," McKeon said. "To know that my reps are getting hurt, because we got to get other guys in, kind of hurts. But you can't deny Phillip Dillard. He's a great player. You got to get him some reps. He's the future of this organization, he's going to be a stud coming back."

McKeon talked about how the fun has been taken out of football so far this year.

"It's important for this state to win, but when you get to a point when you're 3-1, you lose, your one loss -- granted, we played like garbage -- was to the No. 1 team in the country?" he said. "Then to come back the next week and pull out a win at the last second, but it's still a win, and you're being scrutinized for being 3-1? People aren't looking at it like it's just fun college football. They're looking at it like, 'They're not getting the job done and we need to find people who are.' That's business, man. That's NFL... This is college football. This isn't supposed to be a giant organization that if things aren't going you take someone out and find someone new right away. This is team. This is school spirit."

McKeon said he's tired of everyone acting like this year is going down the toilet when the team's 3-1.

"Everyone is looking at the stats and not at the team. It kind of bothers me. We're 3-1 and people are looking it like we haven't won. They're looking at us like Notre Dame, like we're 0 and 4 and just having a rebuilding year. That's not the case."

He said he wishes people would take a closer look at how hard this team is working.

"I know that this defense is coming together... We came into Ball State. We were beat up from USC. You guys, you don't see it. You don't see Tierre Green, struggling to put his pads on to go practice. YOu don't see, like his teammates, helping him pulls his jersey, his Blackshirt on, so he could put his pads on. You don't see that. And he goes out and works his butt off as hard as he can so he could prepare for Ball State... That's the stuff people don't see. People only see the game. I really, really feel sorry for people, because I wish they could see what people are going through."

McKeon said he totally supports defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove.

"Coach Coz, he put a huge smile on your face. You think you're going to go in there and get (chewed out), because you gave up 500-something yards. Defense made a lot of mistakes. People are moving the ball. It's not the normal Blackshirts. We're getting booed by our own fans. And he comes in there and goes, 'We're going to have some fun this week. We're going to work hard. We're going to have some fun in practice'. And it lifted my spirits. It lifted this weight off my shoulders, because it's exactly what I was thinking: We're not having fun, especially when you're getting your ass kicked, you're not having fun on the field."

On the topic of all the heat Cosgrove is taking, McKeon said: "If we're not doing the right thing, it makes it very difficult on the coaches. That's why it really bothers me when people point the finger at Coach Coz. All this garbage on Facebook, and on the Internet, and all the blogs, it's garbage. There's no one else I'd rather have leading the defense, hands down. I couldn't play for anyone else, to be honest with you. The way he coaches, we're going to get back on track. I'm not worried. Not worried."

Later, Husker coach Bill Callahan said of Cosgrove: "He's got my full support."

replies to this post are on fire! i hope he reads them all and gets the message. absolutely embarassing comments.

if he played for charlie weiss he would be running laps right now.

laps to the vending machine to get weiss a twinkie :lol:

Corey isnt making excuses!!! He just said that he isnt playing good at all. He named the players that are stepping up and playing good and he is not one of them. He knows that Dillard is ready to replace him.

He just talked about the things that everyone is bitching about and agrees that it needs to be fixed now!!!

Those blow out wins we once expected seem to be gone. The small schools coming in and playing us tough is a surprise and I think it is a sign of things to come from time to time now. I, like the rest of Husker Nation was not happy watching the way we defended against Ball State, USC, or even Wake. But when the game was over I sure had a nice smile and a sense of relief that we got another win. Wasn't pretty but it didn't wreck my weekend. I hope they play a better game next week and the coming weeks as well. I have read a lot of post on this board that say "we don't care if we win by 1pt as long as we win". Well guess what it may be just like that the rest of the year. As far as exciting I got my 30 bucks worth. A Husker fan when I grew up their didn't boo their team, different time different fans now. Of course the ones that boo and the ones that cheer want the same thing. A team that wins or in a loss one that gave their all. It's hard for me to believe that these kids are not giving all they have. It may not be good enough but I have to believe that they are trying their best. I hope things do get better but I will still take the 1pt wins if we get them.

GBR!!! :bonez

Those blow out wins we once expected seem to be gone. The small schools coming in and playing us tough is a surprise and I think it is a sign of things to come from time to time now. I, like the rest of Husker Nation was not happy watching the way we defended against Ball State, USC, or even Wake. But when the game was over I sure had a nice smile and a sense of relief that we got another win. Wasn't pretty but it didn't wreck my weekend. I hope they play a better game next week and the coming weeks as well. I have read a lot of post on this board that say "we don't care if we win by 1pt as long as we win". Well guess what it may be just like that the rest of the year. As far as exciting I got my 30 bucks worth. A Husker fan when I grew up their didn't boo their team, different time different fans now. Of course the ones that boo and the ones that cheer want the same thing. A team that wins or in a loss one that gave their all. It's hard for me to believe that these kids are not giving all they have. It may not be good enough but I have to believe that they are trying their best. I hope things do get better but I will still take the 1pt wins if we get them.

GBR!!! :bonez

Good post.

Now it just sounds like he is feeling sorry for himself. Sorry Corey, do you want me to be all rah rah, go get em tiger, ah shucks. Sounds like that is what Coz does. I think we all saw how that played out over at ISU with McCarney, maybe you should go play for USF then.

Now for my pep talk: News flash Corey, GIVING UP 618 YDS A GAME ISNT FUN AND SHOULDNT BE FUN!!! Get pissed, grow some heart and if you can't grow any heart, go out there this weekend and rip someone elses OUT. Go get em tiger!!!

He wouldn't see that field as USF they have a nasty D over there.

The press conference doesn't matter. His play on the field does and that has been getting increasingly worse this season. We've seen him play better in years past and he is no where near that level. There is a better player behind him in Dillard so it's time to bench McKeon and let him hone his class clown act on the sidelines.

On a sidenote it's interesting that Husker37 brought up the 83 team because I was thinking this team is similar except the offense is not on that level and as bad as that defense was this team has started out much worse. If I remember correctly the 84 Husker defense led the nation so maybe this team has the core group to turn things around, hopefully sooner than later.

The press conference doesn't matter. His play on the field does and that has been getting increasingly worse this season. We've seen him play better in years past and he is no where near that level. There is a better player behind him in Dillard so it's time to bench McKeon and let him hone his class clown act on the sidelines.

On a sidenote it's interesting that Husker37 brought up the 83 team because I was thinking this team is similar except the offense is not on that level and as bad as that defense was this team has started out much worse. If I remember correctly the 84 Husker defense led the nation so maybe this team has the core group to turn things around, hopefully sooner than later.

Yeah..I also had an old HS teamate on that team (also a 3yr starter at Defensive End).

As a So. almost kept me from starting my Sr. season (lucky for me our coach wanted him at RB).

Last I heard he was the team's Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Well, I just watched the entire press conference... I don't think any of the quotes in the first post were out of context.

He was trying to act accountable, but he spent at least 20 minutes making excuses. These guys have no excuses. If being on the Nebraska f'ing Cornhusker football team isn't reason enough to get "energized" and "have fun", then somebody else DESERVES to step in and give it a shot.