Team Morale

When your frustrated because things are not going a planned, you can feel sad and depressed...

or you can take on the attitude of the old, slightly crazy newsman from the film "Network". He said -

FIRST YOU GOT TO GET MAD. YOU GOT TO GET MAD. YOU GOT TO GET OFF YOUR COACH, GO TO THE WINDOW AND YELL - "I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!"

I hope the "blackshirts" choose the 2nd option. After they get their EMOTION back, they obviously need to add smarts and skills. But never, never, never lose the EMOTION.

With all the criticism, booing, etc. flying around between fans and players I hope we're not getting into a situation where low morale will adversely affect the season. Does the Husker's program provide counseling for the players on how to deal with the press and fans? These kids need to understand that they are in the limelight and like it or not, right or wrong, fair or not they are going to get criticized and praised. Whether you think booing, name calling, venting frustration is ok or not it is going to happen. The kids need to realize this comes with the territory and know how to deal with it. If they're smart they wouldn't be checking out message boards. Keller has been a good example on how to handle the public; measured words, always positive, forward looking, never criticize others, etc. etc. He's smart and cool. Grixby has taken huge heat and I don't recall him airing out his frustration in public, but you know he's had to deal with it. I'm a little surprised at some of the comments coming out in print. It's counter-productive and potentially destructive to the morale of the team. It cannot do any good for players to get in pi$$ing matches with the fans. I hope it doesn't send them into a tailspin. Just my thoughts.

Booing doesn't solve anything but, it is a natural reaction when frustration sets in. IMHO I believe that the boo's are not directed at the players but, the coaches and AD!! We were fed a line of crap and kept getting the "give him time" song and dance. People can see what progress has been made and it's NOT heading in the right direction. Now, if some of the players feel that the boos are directed at them personally I would suggest that maybe they have a guilty conscience about their performance. Just my 2 cents.

To receive praise you've got to give the fans something to praise! Hopefully, our defensive team puts

their last two efforts behind them and come to play against the clonies. It seems like their is a lot of

"individual thinking" rather than thinking about a "team effort!" They need to pull together and play

as a unit.

I wonder about the morale of the Pinkshirts. Some of McKeon's comments were really shocking. He genuinely appears to be a beaten person. That really bothers me.

This is really a turning point in the program's history. It might be time to turn the reins over to the young kids, and make this their defense.

That may be hard for McKeon and Ruud and Green and Grixby to swallow, but it has to happen.

Do you suppose that calling the unit he plays for the "pinkshirts" and having all over the internet massive vitriol and venom against the defense and McKeon in particular has perhaps contributed to his defeated attitude (assuming he has such an attitude).

We fans have been the 12th man --- for the opposition. People like you have thrown a bunch of kids under the bus and publicly humiliated them on the internet.

The best fans in the world have shown themselves to be just as pathetic as the fans from anywhere else.

That the team is struggling is an issue. That the fans have become so ugly is a tragedy.

I couldn't agree more. The most alarming issue is the reaction of our "fan" base. A friend told me the other day this isn't the type of team he is used to. I responded to him by saying this wasn't the fans I been used to for the better part of 36 years. People... these kids deserve our support, need our support and should have it unconditionally. How many of you would want this same treatment at your job or even better for your kid in anything they do. Remember that this is "our" team and we as the greatest fans in the world should be there to CHEER them on!

Wear Red, Be loud and CHEER for these young men!

IMO, the team and the fans are getting just a little too touchy feely for my liking. If the teams feelings are this tender, then they need to quit playing football and try out for synchronized swimming. I know society has gotten soft, but good grief. I refuse to reward bad play with cheer just like I refuse to reward my 2 year old for bad behavior. This is sickening!

IMO, the team and the fans are getting just a little too touchy feely for my liking. If the teams feelings are this tender, then they need to quit playing football and try out for synchronized swimming. I know society has gotten soft, but good grief. I refuse to reward bad play with cheer just like I refuse to reward my 2 year old for bad behavior. This is sickening!

I couldn't agree more.

dudes, i just got it.

this year will seperate the men the boys. the Cornhuskers from the mere players. the bad D coordinators from the spirited blackshirts, etc...\\some players will deal with it and stop accepting lesser play and will rebuild the program. the others will be left on the bench.

i think fans showing some deserved frustration and an unacceptance of lack of toughness will motivate the ballers and the pretenders will fall off. (potentially: mckeon n dillard)

evolution. eat or be eaten. do it or sit. let's watch the Cream rise to the top.

If I was a player I would be feeding off of these comments!!!! I would be eager to prove everyone wrong!!!! Let's all just be loud this Saturday at the game and support this team guys and gals. :thumbs

We need a Mo Purify on defense.

Why....so he can give up on a play if it's not going to him? Or so he can get up and celebrate after making a tackle on a 7 yard run? Some of Mo's actions last week during Ball State have really rubbed me the wrong way, especially following his off-field issues.

If I was a player I would be feeding off of these comments!!!! I would be eager to prove everyone wrong!!!! Let's all just be loud this Saturday at the game and support this team guys and gals. :thumbs

We need a Mo Purify on defense.

Why....so he can give up on a play if it's not going to him? Or so he can get up and celebrate after making a tackle on a 7 yard run? Some of Mo's actions last week during Ball State have really rubbed me the wrong way, especially following his off-field issues.

Strictly from the point of view that, when asked about the criticism, his reply was "it motivates me to prove people wrong." I think that attitude needs to be displayed by the blackshirts.

And I agree about the showboating thing. After making a 15-20 yard pedestrian catch, he gets up and spins the ball on the turf. That is BS. We definitely don't need that. He should've gotten up after being tackled, went back to the huddle and did it again.