Does only the fans want the old Husker tradtion?

Just thinking, is it the fans who want the old tradtion Husker football back. Power running game. Run 70 times pass 10. Right now I'm hearing no coach who wants to come here and run the option here. What recruits are saying "I want to go to Nebraska and change the west coast back to the running attack style." Is it only the fans? To go back to the option you need a AD, Coach, and players who want to change. Who is out there? Isn't Army or Navy the only teams running the option? Let's say everybody gets fired this year then what. Who will coach the option and what recruits come here? Everybody wants to fire everybody but does anybody really have a real coach and players to come here.

i don't remember anyone here wanting to go back to the option.

spread offense or other variations are effective now, ,most everything else is nothing but a variation of that or the wco. most good teams have balanced attacks, featuring a good qb who can stretch the field and an adequate running game to mix things up.

I'd say the fans miss the old days, but are by and large pleased with the WCO.

We've all seen the power of Bill Callahan's offense...no joke, this guy is a good one and he's brought in lots of good guys to run the program. We'll have our weaknesses of course, but I'm a believer in the WCO now, though I was firmly against it when it was brought in. Watching Taylor/Keller run the two minute drill is just a thing of beauty.

Actually, Keller more specifically. Taylor was more like a heart attack, may have been because it was the ATM game and we kept getting 4th downs and dropped passes ;)'

Anyway - no to the option. I like where we're at.

Just thinking, is it the fans who want the old tradtion Husker football back. Power running game. Run 70 times pass 10. Right now I'm hearing no coach who wants to come here and run the option here. What recruits are saying "I want to go to Nebraska and change the west coast back to the running attack style." Is it only the fans? To go back to the option you need a AD, Coach, and players who want to change. Who is out there? Isn't Army or Navy the only teams running the option? Let's say everybody gets fired this year then what. Who will coach the option and what recruits come here? Everybody wants to fire everybody but does anybody really have a real coach and players to come here.

What have you been reading? I know of no fans calling for a change back to the option. The main coach people want fired is Coz. Changing the offense back to the option really has nothing to do with Coz or the D. I believe Florida runs an option attack. Yeah, it's a spread option but an option none the less. There's lots of teams running a spread option now. Florida doesn't seem to be having any problems getting recruits running their spread option.

The old tradition fans want back is a dominating defense. We want the blackshirts back, and we want it to mean something. We want players with a burning desire to bust their ass on each and every play. These are the old traditions we the fans want back!

I agree that running an offense based entirely on the option would be very unsuccessful now days. However, I do believe that a run heavy offense with some option sprinkled in every now and then....complimented with a good play action pass game/drop back passing game, could be extremely successful. The option can work when it is done sparingly and the defense doesn't expect it.....a lot like the play action passing we ran in the 90's.

I agree that running an offense based entirely on the option would be very unsuccessful now days. However, I do believe that a run heavy offense with some option sprinkled in every now and then....complimented with a good play action pass game/drop back passing game, could be extremely successful. The option can work when it is done sparingly and the defense doesn't expect it.....a lot like the play action passing we ran in the 90's.

Isn't that basically just a balanced offense though?

The option attack is still alive and well these days, but now it's just called the spread offense. The name is different, but a lot of the principles are still the same. Because defenses are so fast these days you need to spread them out and force them to play sideline to sideline and up the middle with a run-pass option, but no matter what you need the right kind of QB to run it or it won't work. If Tommie Frazier was a QB in college today, he'd be running a spread offense, much like what Vince Young did & Pat White is doing.

What have you been reading? I know of no fans calling for a change back to the option. The main coach people want fired is Coz. Changing the offense back to the option really has nothing to do with Coz or the D. I believe Florida runs an option attack. Yeah, it's a spread option but an option none the less. There's lots of teams running a spread option now. Florida doesn't seem to be having any problems getting recruits running their spread option.

The old tradition fans want back is a dominating defense. We want the blackshirts back, and we want it to mean something. We want players with a burning desire to bust their ass on each and every play. These are the old traditions we the fans want back!

Totally agree. I dont know that people are calling for the option, they are calling for the defense to return to half of what it used to be. IMO we need a coach from within the family who understands what the blackshirt means. This is the first year where there are no guys left from the old regime. Now we are seeing a group of defensive players who never understood what the blackshirt stood for, and look at what we've got. They have disgraced it, i would equate it to burning the american flag (that may be a little over the top). The players expect the shirt, not respect the shirt. Wearing the blackshirt is NOT a right, its a f*ing privelage.

I don't want us to go back to the option ever. I think our offense is doing just fine the way it is and they are actually exciting to watch. I think alot of people want our defense to go back to the old way of thinking. That is "We are Nebraska and we will kill you!"...................just to add some attitude back to the defense. :dunno