Huskers Need a New Coach

But what is the identity of this year's Nebraska football team?

For NU Coach Bill Callahan, it's all about improvement. Taking one game at a time and looking at how every area of the team -- special teams, offense and defense -- is making plays, executing in practice and carrying over lessons learned from week to week.

"What I think is important right now is the rate of improvement relative to everyone else's," Callahan said. "If we can maintain that standard of improvement week in and week out, that's all I'm looking for."

......well let's see now......we have been improving our play for 4 years now? no sense in setting real goals like winning the north? although i am sure he has said that, wouldn't you like to hear about higher goals??

So, in terms of offense and defense, where does Nebraska stack up?

Suh defined the Blackshirts as a strong rushing defense. So far this season, the Huskers rank last in the Big 12 Conference in this area and eighth in passing defense.

Improvement is always a possibility, he said.

"I've always thought our strength was stopping the run," Suh said, "and I still think that's going to be one of our strengths."

Before Big 12 play started, when the defense was under enormous public pressure to improve, Suh said NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove would like to give up only 300 yards or less to opponents.

That's not happening right now, as the Blackshirts have allowed 2,043 yards -- that's 408 yards per game -- and 133 total points, good for last in the conference.

"I definitely think it's something that should be happening and obviously hasn't," Suh said of allowing only 300 yards. "But we've been holding teams enough to win."

......guess that is good enough? not an attitude you would expect from a Blackshirt linemen, pretty obvious Coz is OK with these numbers too, as long as the offense can bail them out every week?

This is a very good post. It is so upsetting to hear this banter from players and coaches. Amazing that you don't hear enthusiasm and confidence from us like you do other BIG 12 teams. Everyone complains Mizzou is 'talking' well at least I hear some confidence and not whining and accepting of mediocrity.

exactly and some of you guys can toast me on this, but i am just NOT hearing the correct verbage from the players or the coaches, no sign of confidence or aspiring to greater heights. at this point the BS legend is just about dead and so sadly many players/coaches before these guys worked so hard to preserve it too.

But what is the identity of this year's Nebraska football team?

For NU Coach Bill Callahan, it's all about improvement. Taking one game at a time and looking at how every area of the team -- special teams, offense and defense -- is making plays, executing in practice and carrying over lessons learned from week to week.

"What I think is important right now is the rate of improvement relative to everyone else's," Callahan said. "If we can maintain that standard of improvement week in and week out, that's all I'm looking for."

......well let's see now......we have been improving our play for 4 years now? no sense in setting real goals like winning the north? although i am sure he has said that, wouldn't you like to hear about higher goals??

So, in terms of offense and defense, where does Nebraska stack up?

Suh defined the Blackshirts as a strong rushing defense. So far this season, the Huskers rank last in the Big 12 Conference in this area and eighth in passing defense.

Improvement is always a possibility, he said.

"I've always thought our strength was stopping the run," Suh said, "and I still think that's going to be one of our strengths."

Before Big 12 play started, when the defense was under enormous public pressure to improve, Suh said NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove would like to give up only 300 yards or less to opponents.

That's not happening right now, as the Blackshirts have allowed 2,043 yards -- that's 408 yards per game -- and 133 total points, good for last in the conference.

"I definitely think it's something that should be happening and obviously hasn't," Suh said of allowing only 300 yards. "But we've been holding teams enough to win."

......guess that is good enough? not an attitude you would expect from a Blackshirt linemen, pretty obvious Coz is OK with these numbers too, as long as the offense can bail them out every week?

This is a very good post. It is so upsetting to hear this banter from players and coaches. Amazing that you don't hear enthusiasm and confidence from us like you do other BIG 12 teams. Everyone complains Mizzou is 'talking' well at least I hear some confidence and not whining and accepting of mediocrity.

exactly and some of you guys can toast me on this, but i am just NOT hearing the correct verbage from the players or the coaches, no sign of confidence or aspiring to greater heights. at this point the BS legend is just about dead and so sadly many players/coaches before these guys worked so hard to preserve it too.

I agree with you on this. I would much rather hear............."We may be winning some games, but we are having offenses have their way with us and that's not good enough for this defense. We need to stop these guys and make them pay for trying to make plays on us."

Callahan isn't getting the job done. Lets face it, look what he did in his biggest game so far against USC. We just got embarrassed AT HOME. If u want to know wut the rest of Callahan's career at Nebraska will be like, just watch a tape of that game. Nebraska has enough talent to win out the rest of the season, but lets face it our coaches suck.

I agree we should go about firing Callahan in a smart way. Unfortunately, we've already given him a 5-year contract extension. First off, we need to fire Coz as soon as the football season is over. Coz has done an absolutely poor job of motivating our D & absolutely needs to be fired. We need to find a better head coach who would be interested in coaching at Nebraska. We let Callahan stay for 3-5 more years, then fire his a$$, hire a better coach, & put an end to the WCO.

:restore

So you were so sure Nebraska would beat ISU by more than 21 points Saturday you bet $11 and lost. So now you are PO'd that you can't meet your trailer home rental due Monday?

If you are going to call for a coaching change...offer who you believe would be a realistic replacement!

I think the answer is a genetic mutation of TO and Bill Walsh

So your saying....Scot Frost? :rollin

Dennis Francione will be available soon. :sarcasm

Mediocrity and being the second worst BCS conference doesn't sound like it's very good to me. Because everyone is beatable doesn't make a conference tougher, just the opposite.

QFT. Evidence? Big 11.

Simply put, if you took the best team of '99-'02 they would have some tougher middle of the conference games but their would be ZERO competition at the top. They would still beat the 'average' teams and they would have little problems with the top 3 teams.

If we had teams losing 0-1 games per year playing tougher top notch competition, then they wouldn't lose to mediocre competition.

The conference is tougher only for the average teams. USC and LSU would have an easier time being undefeated in this conference today than they would in '99-'00. That is why I call it an easier conference. Before we had 1-2 teams as NC contenders, now we are lucky to get 1 a year.

I don't agree. See the 2000 season.

Every big 12 top echelon school lost in their bowl game. And were embarassed while doing it.

We have not been a strong conference for some time now. But overall it is getting stronger.

Colorado kicked the crap out of us and some how by hook or crook we end up in the NC game. We got killeed, Colorado got trashed by Oregon who should have played for the NC. Oklahoma the previous number 2 got pummeled too if I remember correctly. Don't have time to do the research, getting ready to head to Missouri.

As the lower levels get tougher and the out of conference teams get tougher it is harder to maintain undefeated seasons. Every game is a battle it seems. You can ask Penn State, Alabama, Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida. Things are changing in college football.

We all better get used to it.

S...T....F...U.

Mind your own biz. We are having a friendly debate, in which it is subjective and neither person is wrong we are just expressing our viewpoint.

You are honestly one of the few members on this board I look forward to meeting someday if I ever find my way to crapville or where ever you live.

You say the conference was tougher. What makes that so.

The teams are more even accross the board. There are no gimmies any more. Every team we face this year will be better than they were when Solich was winning with TO's recruits.

And I am comparing Solich's teams, his recruits against BC's recruits. Next year will be the first year that BC has his own all on the field. Could be better could be worse, but we won't know the real answer until then.

We were headed down fast before, we may still be headed that way, but things have changed and at least there is a chance of it going the other way. I don't think it would have ever changed with Frank. And I am a fan of Coach Solich and always have been. But he was out of his area of expertise. Had other problems off the field and dared the AD to fire him basically. Past history. He is not coming back and I am glad about that.

I still think the jury is out on BC. I still trust he is doing the right things. He has at least the 6 years Coach Solich had in my mind. Coz is a different story. But I will not call for his firing. That is up to the head coach. If he feels he is doing and adequate job it is his neck on the line.

Get off the guy's nuts.

The teams are more even because the conference is weaker. We have a lot more average teams than we did in 03. In 03 at season's end, the Big 12 had 2 teams ranked in the top 10. This year, we have one. In 03, the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 15. This year, we have 1!.

Iowa State is rated at a whopping 110th in the country this year. In 03', the doormat Baylor didn't even finish ranked this poorly.

I've done this in the past, and quite frankly I'm not ambitious enough to post them all again but Frank had 40% fewer players that were TO recruits drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft than BC did with FS recruits. This tells me that FS was doing a better job recruiting than TO was when he knew his career was winding down.

Whenever we lose a game people go for the coach look at the isu game, three turnovers in the first half. That is not callahan's fault its the players too. I do have to admit that i wonder what the hell he is thinking when he calls some of his plays though. I hope he doesnt do anything stupid against mizzou on sat. But like ive said before once a husker fan always a husker fan