Replacements Thread

I don't want Callahan fired at this point. Nor do I think about his replacment on a regular basis, but I do think if we had to go after another coach it would be Chris Peterson of Boise State. Got to love a young fiesty coach like him...the bowl game vs OU last year says it all.

I agree. I'll accept my position as sunshine pumper. I think I'm one of maybe 5 people on here that still don't want Cally fired. It's not his fault that our defense sucks. Yes, he screwed up in hiring Coz, but he can make up for it the next time around and hire someone worth a damn.

T.O. as interm A.D. Joe Glenn from Wyoming as head coach. He won two national championships at UNC in Greeley and his Wyoming team is doing very well with lots less talent than we have. He has beaten Virginia this year as well as TCU last night. He has only one stipulation in his contract and that is if Husker nation needs him. WE NEED HIM. He is a very good coach.

How old is this Joe Glenn??? I think either T.O. should be our A.D. or Barry Alvarez. Someone to help bring the tradition back to Nebraska because Callahan and company have destroyed it with their NFL business like attitudes. I want a head coach that will get into the game and scream at some people and show some damn fire.

BRI, when did you ever see TO get excited on the sidelines. I dont know what he was like in the locker room but on the sidelines he always kept control of his emotions and had the same expression.

I didn't like it. I know he got things done on the field and that's fine, but we obviously need someone nowadays to get into these 5 star recruits grill and get them excited. That's the thing..............these premadonna 5 star recruits and 4 star recruits think they are gods gift to everyone. They don't play with heart like a walk on that is willing to sacrifice his body for the good of the cause would. Something needs to be done to get these kids fired up.

Ok, let's delve into fantasy and think of some replacements for BC. You can nominate anyone, but I'm looking for young, energetic coaches who have never been head coaches before. I want new blood; someone with enthusiasm and swagger and a real desire to achieve.

Here's an idea that is crazy enough that it might work: Major Applewhite. Young, smart, great recruiter, and definitely an up-and-coming coach. We could give him an incentive-laden contract with a nominal base to make it affordable since BC's buyout will hurt.

Ok, let's delve into fantasy and think of some replacements for BC. You can nominate anyone, but I'm looking for young, energetic coaches who have never been head coaches before. I want new blood; someone with enthusiasm and swagger and a real desire to achieve.

Here are a couple of choices:

Will Muschamp - Def. Coordinator, Auburn.

Steve Sarkisian - Off. Coordinator, USC.

Brent Venables - Def. Coordinator, OU.

I really could care less that they have no HC experience.

Muschamp is a great choice i believe. We need a defensive minded energetic coach.

Here's an idea that is crazy enough that it might work: Major Applewhite. Young, smart, great recruiter, and definitely an up-and-coming coach. We could give him an incentive-laden contract with a nominal base to make it affordable since BC's buyout will hurt.

good idea but i think its too early to give him a shot at head coach. In a few years I would agree with you.

Hmmm, maybe because it pays $1.75 million dollars a year? When all is said and done most these guys only care about one thing, lining their pockets. Money is great motivator and NU is as good of a place as any to get rich.

For better or for worse, $1.75M is no longer an impressive salary for an upper tier program, and probably not enough to woo an established coach away from a comfortable situation. I don't think that $1.75M is enough to keep you in the top 25 for salaries, but I could be wrong. If it does now, it probably won't after the next round of new contracts and raises early next year.

Brian Kelly at Cincy, anyone?

Welcome....I haven't been pumping his name for 3 weeks or anything.....when you were bashing my ideas and opinions about our MEDIOCRE team

And Major Applewhite is a very good choice when he is ready to be a head coach. Right now I think he is too young for this big of a program. He either needs a stop at a smaller program or about 3 more years as an assistant.

And Major Applewhite is a very good choice when he is ready to be a head coach. Right now I think he is too young for this big of a program. He either needs a stop at a smaller program or about 3 more years as an assistant.

Realistically we may be looking at that kind of time frame anyway.

There will likely be several high profile head coaching jobs available at the end of this season. We will be competing against schools that can pay more and be considered more desirable destinations. I hate saying that, but it's true. The top candidates are going to go to those jobs. We'd have to go farther down the coaching ladder and find a relatively unheralded guy, and I don't trust Pederson's decision making ability for an unproven commodity. Sure, he might get lucky, but more than likely, we would be no better off than we are now.