Replacements Thread

I don't think we'll be getting a new HC next season or the season after. Too much money involved to oust Callahan and then bring in a new coach. That being said, Callahan can cover his ass pretty good by getting rid of his DC along with a couple of other assistant coaches. So I think all this talk about what new head coach we're going to get is way to pre-mature at this point and simply a matter of wishful thinking.

They now have "Every man, woman and child " rolling in the aisles from disgust.

So start picking your NEW head coach.

I prefer to stay away from religious nut jobs like Turner Gill .

How about that BOISE STATE coach?

Who would you like?

PS. And lets get rid of that lame radio announcer.

Where every 3 yard play seems to go for a TOUCHDOWN..TOUCHDOWN!

He makes me sick!

Why would the Boise State coach leave a program that is a clear top 20 program with a winning percentage of 88% that is in one of the most beautiful places in the USA --- and go to NU? It would be a major step down in program for him (not in program history by any means, for NU is king there --- but in current status of program Boise State is well ahead of NU --- they are on TV now more than is NU and when they are on BSU is the reason for the telecast --- now, when NU is on the focal point is typically the other team). Yes, NU has better facilities and a bigger stadium, more fans (at the moment) and can pay him better --- but why leave a golden place like BSU for the pressure pot that is NU?

I know that Hawkins left for CU for the money --- and I suppose Peterson (the BSU coach) could follow the money as well. My point here is that the NU coaching position is not an attractive one save for the money --- the pressure, the expectations and the fact that the program is in a shambles make the job less than inviting. This is especially true if our AD remains.

I would imagine that NU, especially if our AD stays, will be able to attract only coaches from the old DII ranks or from a small program --- that is, an up and coming coach. I would not expect that NU could command a coach with name recognition. That is not to say that they could not land an excellent coach --- they can. It is just that no proven names would likely make a move to NU at this point. If our AD is gone and a reputable AD comes in, that could change things quite a bit. Of course, enough money can always compensate for things, and that would be the wild card.

Who would you like?

He makes me sick!

Everyone needst to get over it. They will not be replacing the HC. With Callahan signing is extension, the university can't afford to release him. Callahan would have to quit. People need to stop calling for Callahan to go, it's not going to happen any time soon. Did the Offense work Saturday night? No, it didn't work worth a damn but lets fix what hasn't worked all season, the defense. With a great defense, you don't have to worry about scoring as many points. The offense had a bad night, the defense has had a BAD season. Let's focus on the "D" and hopefully a new DC. I agree...COSGROVE MUST GO!

Who would you like?

He makes me sick!

Everyone needst to get over it. They will not be replacing the HC. With Callahan signing is extension, the university can't afford to release him. Callahan would have to quit. People need to stop calling for Callahan to go, it's not going to happen any time soon. Did the Offense work Saturday night? No, it didn't work worth a damn but lets fix what hasn't worked all season, the defense. Will a great defense, you don't have to worry about scoring as many points. The offense had a bad night, the defense has had a BAD season. Let's focus on the "D" and hopefully a new DC. I agree...COSGROVE MUST GO!

:yeah

GBR!!!

This is a little off topic, but after the drumming we took I notice there are fewer and fewer apologists posting anymore. What happened to all the Big Red Koolaid? I never in my wildest dreams thought Mizzou's #95 defense could hold our offense to 6 measely points.

Hey, I currently go to the University of Cincinnati but would like to see the Huskers win more. Steal Brian Kelly away from UC!

:yeah

The ONLY NFL guys I'd want are Monte Kiffen, Bobby Petrino or Jason Garrett. - I'd take Lane Kiffen too but he's the only one on that list that is set in a HC job.

Muschamp is my favorite college choice.

Followed by Jim Grobe and Greg Schiano.

Heck lets try a two-fer and get Barry and Bielema from Wiscy. lol

I think Petrino would be great. Maybe he's the next Spurrier and will choose NEB as his college comeback bid :w00t

How about Joe Glen? Look what he is doing with Wyoming, and what he did at Montana and N Colorado. Not to mention that would get us some Nebraska blood back into the program.

You know the last time we hired a coach from Wyoming it turned out pretty good. Cough...Devany...Cough

Petrino would be as good of a coach as we could possibly get. He is having trouble in the NFL right now, and some say he is losing his team.......I say we sneak in and snatch him up.

NO WAY rich rodriguez leaves WVU for Nebraska, so quit bringing that up. He turned down the Alabama job to stay there....he is not coming here.

Schiano is not coming here either. He has all of NYC to pull talent from, and turned down Miami last offseason.

NO BIG NAME GUY is going to leave their school and come to Nebraska. Right now we are a bottom of the BIG12 north team.....we probably couldn't even convince Mangino to come to Nebraska. although he would be a great hire for us. He has taken KU from the freakin dumps to #20 and rising.

I think that the best idea is to hire a young coordinator from one of the major programs, and hope to get lucky. There is certainly no person out there that we will hire and everyone will feel good about. No one with that quality of a reputation would put his reputation on the line here.

It has to be some young guy who is eager to prove everyone wrong........

I hate to say it but we need a "Ron Prince" kind of guy.

Just for s***s and giggles ...

But my first choice would be Mike Singletary. If you watched that guy during Senior Bowl week, you know how that guy coaches. Heck, just watching him get after it in drills, doing them full speed to show the players, then how he pumps them up would make me want to suit up for him.

But realistically, our problem isn't the HC, as much as it is our DC. And I will be the first to throw out a name(s) for that position -- Mike Pettine and Dat Nguyen.

Pettine is a young fiery coach from the Ravens. You may remember him from a TV show on ESPN called 'The Season' that documented him and his father coaching HS football in Pennsylvania. Mike has since went on to coach at various positions for the Baltimore Ravens, and is currently their OLB coach. If you remember him from this show, you remember that he was a take no BS kinda coach. But at the same time, he got his players ready and motivated.

Dat Nguyen would be a reach, but I love that guy. Probably one of the most cerebral players in recent memory. He wasn't the biggest, strongest or even fastest, he just studied film and understood the game better than anyone. I can remember so many times him yelling out plays before the snap, because he studied film that much. He played the game with so much passion it was unbelievable, and he does have Big 12 ties. He is currently a quality control and assistant LB's coach for the Cowboys.

Mike Singletary will not come to NU. He'll be the head coach at Baylor next season. If it's not Baylor, then he won't come to the college ranks. He's already been interviewed and will have a job in the NFL set up if the Baylor opening doesn't come through. I heard from an insider this weekend though that Morriss' contract will be bought out and that the talks between BU and Singletary have taken place. He stated that it was a "done deal".

Available - Jimmy Johnson. Yeah you all hate him but he is a proven winner and always had a nasty defense at the U.

Never happen but would be good. Beamer from Virginia Tech. He always has good teams with solid defense and great special teams.

Jimmy Johnson? No thank you. Every college team he coached at was put on probation shortly after he left (Okie State & Miami). As much as I dislike what's going on, I don't think it's worth it bringing in someone that will get us on the NCAA probation list.

Beamer is not going to leave Virginia Tech.

Turner Gill would not be a good hire.

Major Applewhite? I like it. I don't agree he needs more time. He is a gamer, and I think he could be good. Could you imagine if we got someone like Applewhite as coach and he talked Frost into coming back and coaching alongside? Maybe they could get Tommie to be QB coach? I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh group of young inexperienced blood come in here. If we finish like some of you have predicted 2nd to last in the North, how much worse could we get? We need some young fresh blood in here that will have their enthusiasm rub off on this team.

Who would you like?

He makes me sick!

Hey, first post here. I had to respond to you calling Turner Gill a " religious nut job" . Do you realize that during our glory days our team was run by a group of men who were strong out spoken Christians? I have talked with many former players that say the greatest part of playing for NU was the Christian influence of the team. Turner Gill would be the perfect coach for Nebraska.

Who would you like?

He makes me sick!

yeah we all know how that turned out last time :rollin:rollin:rollin:clap:clap