How To Fix it

Okay, I think this might be a necessary post. We hear a lot of panicing but not a lot of thinking. So for now I'll offer my idea as to what we should do to go into the future. Go ahead and feel free to trash it if you think it's ridiculous. That's okay. That's what this is for. Just put some ideas out there (that means you, too, Bugeater) and we'll try to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Step 1: Realize where we are

At this point I think everyone needs to see the true state of affairs. We are a sinking ship with no hope for the future. Our recruits, provided there are any left by the end of the season, are ultimately useless because of the coaching. All the talent in the world means nothing when there is no TEAM to put them in. Callahan has no wins of value, no motivational prowess, and his scheme is pathetic. The WCO has washed out. Let's face that, right here, right now. It just doesn't work. If we can't score a TD against the 95th ranked defense in the nation, then what do we expect against the likes of Oklahoma or LSU? Moreover we have seen no improvement in four years, the total demolition of our many proud traditions, and a usurping of our Nebraska way (which does exist and always has).

Bottom line: this is not the staff for us. Maybe they'd have more success in the pros, I don't know and nor do I really care. I want what is best for Nebraska, not Bill Callahan or his unbendable philosophy. I was an ardent Callahan supporter, but this is it for me. I can't support him because I have no reason to believe he can turn this around, not even with a good D coordinator. Our players are complacent, void of emotion, and quitters.

This is where we are.

Step 2: Options for the future

Now we need to open the discussion to legitimate replacements, pros and cons. Who would be right for the job? Who would understand our traditions and remember them from the first day he steps foot in his office? Personally I agree with Tony Soprano: "You STAY within the family." We are Nebraska; it's us against the world. We'll run the damn option no matter how old it is, no matter how 'dead' it is, and watch what happens against those highbrow Os like the 95 Florida team.

My personal preference is a return to a power running game, phased in with an emphasis on passing until we can recruit the right guys. Blain Gabbert could maybe be an option QB, I don't really know. He's big and fast from what I hear, and he can throw. He might be the answer, he might not. I would rather lose running the option than lose running the WCO. At least then we'd LOOK like a Nebraska team.

Step 3: Action

All this talk means nothing unless we are willing to do the hardest thing imaginable. I'm talking about not going to games or paying for merchandise. Pederson and Callahan have recently been given extensions, and that was a big, big mistake. But money is louder than these setbacks. I know it seems like you're turning on the Huskers, but you're not. You're simply doing what has to be done in order to see the program salvaged from the wreckage. Vote with your feet, show that you do not support players who quit, or coaches who are incompetent.

Hit the advertisers. Call them if you want to. Once the money starts to dry up, Pederson will be hurled out faster than Rush Limbaugh at an ACLU ralley. The greatest message is silence. It's either that or booing the team from the minute they step on the field until the minute they step off. Boo the coaches, especially, and Pederson. I don't know what else will get the message across. But I do know that sitting complacently will do absolutely nothing. These things will not work themselves out. Pederson has got to go, today if possible. Money is all that will make that happen.

---

Those are my ideas, feel free to rip them apart or add your own.

X

I couldn't agree more...

The national championship teams were all about two basic things...

Running the ball down their throats until the opposing D-line was crying for it's mother, and Defense. I'm going to catch a lot of hell, but the old adage, Defense wins championships still holds true.

We're pretty deep at running back. We could platoon the running backs keeping them relatively fresh, and just hope the O-line can keep up. We've been recruiting pass blockers, and that could be an issue, but we'd just have to ride it out.

I agree that all of our traditions and all of this glamour before the game has made this team into a phony! It's not the kids faults it's the coaches and Pedey's fault. We need to change some things and I mean fast. I'm open to anything at this point because anything is better than what we have right now.

Hitting the advertisers is a great idea, perhaps a boycott of them will help shake things up. I have only been to a couple games the last couple years so I'm not sure who currently advertises in the stadium. I know Val's used to but I think Runza replaced them. Perhaps those of you who have been there lately can list some of them for us.

As far as replacement coaches, unless the person who bungled the last coaching search is removed I don't see how we can expect anyone better. Most of the "family" is getting up there in years, Gill would probably be the best candidate in that respect. I'm not against going outside the family as long as it's someone who will embrace the program instead of having a "one game, one season" attitude. Bob Stoops wasn't part of the OU family, he in fact is a Hayden Fry disciple, but he succesfully revived the OU tradition.

Hitting the advertisers is a great idea, perhaps a boycott of them will help shake things up. I have only been to a couple games the last couple years so I'm not sure who currently advertises in the stadium. I know Val's used to but I think Runza replaced them. Perhaps those of you who have been there lately can list some of them for us.

As far as replacement coaches, unless the person who bungled the last coaching search is removed I don't see how we can expect anyone better. Most of the "family" is getting up there in years, Gill would probably be the best candidate in that respect. I'm not against going outside the family as long as it's someone who will embrace the program instead of having a "one game, one season" attitude. Bob Stoops wasn't part of the OU family, he in fact is a Hayden Fry disciple, but he succesfully revived the OU tradition.

Unfortunately Vals and Runza are not stadium-only establishments. The more I think about this the clearer it becomes. The only boycott of value will be when people stop buying Nebraska merchandise, stop purchasing PPV telecasts, and, most importantly, stop going to the games. The sellout streak is our only weapon. Personally I'd be willing to have the stadium half full for the rest of the season if it means we can get an option coach like Gill primed and ready for next year. I think we might have to start calling some radio shows and putting this idea out there, or e-mailing them. Most of the sponsors are far to big to be hurt by a small boycott––it probably wouldn't even be noticed, actually. No, it's the seats or bust.

X

Ugh. Putting the option back in will set us back more than we are right now. A WCO, pro-style, whatever kind of offense can be successful here. We need motivated players and coaches, period.

Any plan at this point will set us back. There's too much invested in these coaches to have it any other way. But our old style of football didn't require a line of 5* schluff-offs to work properly, either.

X

I couldn't agree more...

We've been recruiting pass blockers, and that could be an issue, but we'd just have to ride it out.

We have???

GBR!!!

I said we've been recruiting them, I didn't say they showed up... The fact that they couldn't block a bunch of middle schoolers, is besides the point....

The spread offense would work well here IMO. The WCO is way to complicated and the option is way out of date. The spread is the way to go IMO.

From what I understand the option was out of date in the 1950s. As a philosophy I don't understand why it wouldn't work. It's basically an indefensible play. It might not work every time, but if you've got strength and speed at the QB, RB, and FB positions, what's to stop you?

The spread offense would work well here IMO. The WCO is way to complicated and the option is way out of date. The spread is the way to go IMO.

its not like we couldnt trim it down......I like the balance that we get........but we need to have someone that works on the basics with our team, and then has us practice them FULL SPEED!!! 1's vs 1's. we are a weak weak team right now.