Wow...just....wow...

I know this is basically a cross post...and for that I apologize. And HIO...if you lurk or post here under a different alias I apologize for cross posting this...BUT...

I think it's very interesting insight and I think it's something every Husker fan should read.

Mods, if you feel this is inappropriate then fell free (as if you need my permission) to scratch it...

Here you go...it's long...but worth the read...

Mod has removed link but since it isnt paid content, here it is folks......--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s hard to explain the feeling in my gut these last three or four weeks. I have been around Sports, coaches, and scouts all my life. I’ve watched with dread as the team that I hold above all other teams heads into stormy weather—each week, the gloom and impending doom seemingly growing in intensity. I’ve read all the articles and opinion. Some positive, some negative. Some that I possibly could agree, others not so much.

I’ve wanted to say something. But what? I could see the impending disaster as clearly as the most negative posters. However, I do not wish to add to their voice. I do not believe in a mob mentality, and right now those who would incite anger and impatience have found Husker fans to be ripe for the picking. But I cannot argue with those people because to be honest, I could see all this coming long ago. It’s bad, folks. It’s really bad.

It’s a funny thing though. All the positive posts and articles. All the negative posts and articles. I am left with just one amazing revelation.

I don’t agree with any of them.

Oh, there are many valid well thought out posts alright. But it’s strange to me how many people are missing the boat here.

It’s amazing. I read one fan actually say, “I’ve never seen a Husker team quit before.”

What?

What planet have you been living on? Let’s see. CU 2001. Almost the entire 2002 season. Mizzou, Texas, & K-State 2003. Almost the entire 2004 season including T-Tech. Kansas 2005. Kansas & Okie State 2006. The list is almost endless.

Oh, but that’s right. All the problems started the day Callahan arrived. Right!

So let me get this straight. I am to believe one of the following four:

1) Solich was a good coach who got screwed, Callahan is a bum.

2) Solich was a bum and Callahan is great.

3) They both are good coaches.

4) They both stink.

I am to pick one of those four (preferably #1 or #2), and defend it beyond reason.

Ridiculous. Absurd.

Some other ridiculous statements I’ve read, “I’ve never seen an offense so inconsistent,” “I’ve never seen so many false start penalties,” “I’ve never seen the team play with so little passion,” “I’ve never seen such tackling problems,” “Why can’t we cover people all of a sudden,” “I can’t remember having so much trouble getting to the QB. Our blitz packages stink,” and my all-time favorite “We have struggled on the road since Callahan arrived.”

Again, what planet have we been living on? Why do we suppose Callahan is here in the first place? Because things were just peachy in Huskerland?

These things have been going on since 2000. But that’s okay. All I have to do is attack or defend Callahan, Cosgrove, Pellini, or Solich, and somehow I’ve got the answers.

We should blitz more. We should stop blitzing so much. I actually read two separate pinned posts on another board that basically made these two opposite points less than eight hours apart. Each time, virtually the same people responded, “Great idea. I couldn’t agree more. Why can’t the coaches see that?”

Again, point the finger of blame. Obviously, it is the coaches. No it isn’t the coaches. Yes it is. No it isn’t.

I know everything that there is to know and I can state that great coaches always motivate players. Pay no attention to whatever evidence to the contrary might exist.

So, I guess I am to believe that #4 is correct. Neither Solich or Callahan can motivate so therefore they both stink.

I don’t believe that. I refuse to believe it.

So what’s left?

It’s the players. They are quitters. They aren’t very good. But, if so, why do we have the successes we do have. And so many have graduated and been replaced by other players who exhibit the same traits under 3 different coaching staffs—two of which are about as opposite in style and methodology as it gets. Doesn’t quite ring true to me.

On another board, a prominent poster made an interesting point that got me to thinking. It was right after the Ball State fiasco, he said that often times teams reflect the mood of their fans.

Everyone agreed that he was right. Of course, correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he just call out Husker fans? Darn sunshine pumper! Blaming the fans instead of the coaches. How dare he! But wait, his article was absolutely scathing in it’s criticism of the coaches.

His basic point was that the fans were shook up by USC and took Ball State lightly, so it’s likely that the team did too. Seems reasonable. I don’t know what to think about the Mizzou meltdown. Some of you fans really aren’t cutting it. Okay, that was a joke. Remember jokes and laughing and enjoying football? Remember?

No wonder people have revisionist memories. This has been going on a long time. I don’t know about anyone else, but watching Husker football has been brutal the last 6 or 7 years.

I know other fans feel the same. Some may lie to themselves and others just may not be that observant over the long haul. But we’ve known something has been wrong for a long time. Don’t lie. We’ve known. I’ll go pull LJS articles from way back when to prove my point. We’d give anything to turn it around. Anything.

If the fans are a reflection of the team (or vice-a-versa), is there nothing we can learn?

How do you think the team feels? Not just this year’s team. But every team for the past 6 or 7 years. Don’t you think that they can feel that something is wrong.

How do you think Solich felt that 7-7 season? Remember that far back? He thought he had a good team coming out of Fall Camp. Sound familiar? He thought all the pieces were in place. He had never known a season with more than a couple of losses in his entire life. We would replace our Heisman QB. We’d move on down the highway. We were ready to put CU and Miami losses behind us. We started out okay. But something was wrong. We could feel it even with the wins. Our defense stunk. Our offense would look good for awhile, and then go entire halves without sniffing a first down. Third downs, ugh! I remember telling an OU friend that if we do not beat A&M later in the year, we might not make a Bowl game. We only had a couple of losses at that time. Sound familiar? He laughed at me of course. The same guy just laughed at me when I told him at half-time of the USC game that we might not win another game after Iowa State this year.

It’s eerie how similar it is.

But, of course, both Callahan and Solich stink, right?

So what’s wrong with the Huskers you ask.

The answer really hit home during the USC game last year. I missed the first half. I got home right about the time Lucky fumbled in the third Q. USC scored and I was stunned by what I saw. I mentioned it in a write-up after the game and not one single person commented on it. It still sticks in my mind as one of the most meaningful observations I have ever had about a team.

I kept yelling at the screen, “GET YOUR HEAD UP!”

Husker players kept shuffling on and off the field—shoulders sagging, heads down.

GET YOUR HEAD UP! GET YOUR $#%& HEAD UP!

Surprise, surprise. We didn’t win. Whoda thunk that body language could tell you anything about a team?

We want it so bad. We want it so bad. The players want it. We want it.

We will not accept mediocrity. Not with Solich. Not with Callahan. Not with Callahan’s replacement. Not with his replacement’s replacement. No matter how many coaches we have to go through, we will not accept mediocrity.

We’ll burn the University to the ground first. We’ll eat our own young. But we will not accept mediocrity!

Oklahoma refused to accept mediocrity. They kept desperately tearing and tearing at their program. They refused to change. They refused to update their methodology. One quick fix solution after another. Gibbs stinks. Schnellenberger stinks. Blake stinks. Until there was nothing left.

Then they rebuilt from scratch.

(continued)

First thing I noticed out of the gate this year. Our team is so tight, you couldn’t wedge a thermometer up their butt. They chant “National Championship” out of the huddle.

Restore the order. Quick. This is an ordeal. Don’t enjoy the ride. Just get back to the glory days. NOW! Pronto baby. We must see improvement at all times. Anything less, and we’ll burn you at the stake. We should have a better record every single year till the end of time. We can’t lose to Mizzou—no matter how good they might be. Can’t lose to Kansas. If we don’t beat Wake Forest by at least 17 touchdowns, it’s no good, throw it back. We have to beat a USC or an OU and even if we do, then that probably means they weren’t that good to begin with.

I hate players who quit. I really do. Back in the Solich days, I didn’t understand. I probably owe Solich a major apology for some of the F-bombs I hurled his way.

I’m a passionate fan. And like so many passionate people, my emotions get the best of me. They can be even destructive if I’m not careful.

Then I go to the internet. Holy cow! Some of you people need some therapy. I mean, really, get some help.

The players have been trying. They’ve been trying all along. So have the coaches. Some damn good coaches.

Have you ever been so tight you could hardly focus? Ever been overwhelmed by a situation that you thought you could handle but you just couldn’t settle down? How do you suppose you appeared to others as failure became increasingly obvious? Did they question your heart? Did they lecture you about being a quitter?

If I were fighting Godzilla with a squirt gun, would someone criticize me because I didn’t fire off a few more rounds of water before my demise?

When you’re tight, you get tired easily. You get discouraged easily. Your reactions are slow. You take a fastball down the middle and then swing at a pitch in the dirt. You get disoriented. You go to clobber someone, and they duck out of the way. Nothing seems right. Nothing works.

These guys have been fighting a losing battle. When we fall behind, our offense knows we’re beat so they just panic and try to score 3 TDs on every play. Can’t do it. So failure is inevitable.

Yes, the coaches make mistakes. But again, fighting a losing battle. You blitz, you get burned. You don’t blitz, you get burned. You yell at the players, they go into a shell. You don’t yell at them, they go into a shell.

Our teams are characterized by one basic flaw. No matter what, you can always count on someone shooting themselves in the foot. Especially at crunch time. False starts. Fumbling at the worst times. Missing tackles on third down. Jumping off sides. Dropping passes.

When you fix one thing, another thing pops up. Remember early 2004? Our D was playing pretty well, but Dailey was handing out footballs to opponents left and right. Then Dailey has a great game against Baylor and what happens? All of a sudden our defense falls apart. Out of the blue and to a bad offense. What’s up with that? Callahan simplifies the offense, and we’re bland and predictable. He opens the playbook and the foot shooting begins again.

Solich must have pulled his hair out trying to figure it out. “What do I have to do?” he must have thought to himself. He fired his coaches. We went 10-3. Not bad, almost mediocre. But progress. Yet, couldn’t help but be concerned by that 28 point meltdown late to Mizzou. The K-State meltdown and the Texas fiasco also. The problems were still there. We could feel it. Somehow, Solich, Pellini, and company milked that team through it. Perhaps one of the great unappreciated coaching jobs of all time.

But then the axe fell. We will not accept mediocrity.

5-6 followed. Actually, our poor players went six weeks without knowing what was going on. Not good for the psyche to be sure. Get us back to prominence or else we’ll burn you at the stake. 5-6. Boooo.

Then 7-4. We were 4-0 and coming back on T-Tech when we suffered one of our worst injuries—Stew Bradley went down. The bottom fell out of our team. Sure we were 4-0 but boy did we look weak in doing so. Kind of like 2002 & 2003. Then the losses came and then the loss to Kansas. Man, that team was tight. Wound tighter than any drum. 5-4 and looking terrible. Surely Solich would be avenged and Callahan would be fired. Surely, we wouldn’t win again and could start over. Then Callahan did the smartest thing he ever did as a HC, he gave his team some time off and told them to relax. They struggled against K-State but held together. Then, they played some of the best football in years in thumping CU and beating Michigan.

But the doubts persisted. CU was on the downslide. Michigan really wasn’t that good. We got lucky. We need to see improvement.

Gosh, we’re happy to be 7-4? Since when?

We will not accept mediocrity.

Again we told our team, maybe good, maybe not so good, but either way, still not good enough. You really probably stink. Or maybe you are great and obviously on your way to a National Championship. So get to stepping.

Pay no attention to our lack of DBs. Fear not that after this year we will not have any DL coming back. Fear not that we will lose all our LBs and CBs the next year.

Last year the team was so close. Close to being very good. Close to being kind of bad. Shocking almost lost to Kansas. We escaped. Booo.

Tighten up boys. The stakes are going up.

The loss to Okie State. Callahan should be fired. We beat Mizzou. Give that man a raise. Surely a National Championship is just on the horizon.

Tighten up boys. The stakes are going up. With each failure, with each success, the stakes are rising. The whole state rides your back. My manhood is at stake here. My ability to brag to some guys I barely know is at stake.

This year, we had one chant. Time to play with the big boys, or else. The naysayers sort of conned everyone to believe that anything short of that, and it’s time to start over again. Time to point fingers. Surprise, surprise, the team seemed disinterested in their first two games. Why should they be? Can’t win a NC against Nevada. Can’t win it against Wake Forest. Just survive and bring on USC.

Oops. Almost lost to Wake Forest. Are they that good or are we that bad? Let’s stop and think about it. Hey, what’s that freight train coming right at us? Oh yeah, we almost forgot, that’s USC. I guess we should have been thinking about Wake BEFORE the game, not after. We get embarrassed.

No NC for us. What’s the point now? We failed to do the only thing that us fans would accept as success—beat USC.

While we’re licking our wounds, Ball Friggin State almost (and should have) beats us.

This team lacks focus. Even a decent finish won’t accomplish what they set out to do. It’s not about X’s and O’s, blitzing, motivating, etc. Nebraska teams don’t play this way. So what’s the point. What’s left?

We will not accept mediocrity!

The players know they’ve lost some of the fans. It’s hard to refocus this point in the season with no off weeks. I fear even Tom Osborne would struggle to put this team back together again. Solich lived through it. Now it’s Callahan’s turn.

Folks, we’re not that good. But then again, we’re not this bad either.

Our players need to refocus. They need to relax. Don’t try to bring back the Husker dynasty. Just play hard on every down. I’ll take the losses. I’ll take the lumps.

I honestly don’t feel that we are that far away. But if this team quits, we are in for some rough weather ahead. Those of us who feel we’ve hit rock bottom have no idea how far down rock bottom is yet.

I hope Callahan is up to the challenge. Because if he is not, his replacement will probably fail too.

And Coach, rather you replace your DC or not, heed this advice. Tell your players “GET YOUR HEAD UP!” Have fun. Keep playing even if loss is inevitable. Get the next first down. The next touchdown. Build something. Something real. Not wins and losses. But a string of successes (small successes) that will lead to something down the road.

Ultimately, that is what Cornhusker football really should be about.

But I am still “N”. I was “N” for Solich. I’m “N” for Callahan. I’m “N” for the team and the players—past, present, and future.

Guys keep fighting. I’ll keep cheering you on and hoping for the best.

Yeah, the teams almost right there. (No comment there)

I hope Callahan is up to the challenge. Because if he is not, his replacement will probably fail too. (What? I guess that means no matter who Nebraska hires in the future he'll fail to because you can't win at Nebraska.)

And Coach, rather you replace your DC or not, heed this advice. Tell your players “GET YOUR HEAD UP!” Have fun. Keep playing even if loss is inevitable. Get the next first down. The next touchdown. Build something. Something real. Not wins and losses. But a string of successes (small successes) that will lead to something down the road.

(Does he want to hand out little trophies for first down and tackles?)

This team has shown none of the above thats Inscribed in the Southwest corner: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

These things have been going on since 2000. But that’s okay. All I have to do is attack or defend Callahan, Cosgrove, Pellini, or Solich, and somehow I’ve got the answers.

No NC for us. What’s the point now? We failed to do the only thing that us fans would accept as success—beat USC. (I don't think I meant anyone who really thought they would win the USC game as for NC that had to be fans with blinders on) (Husker fans used that game as a barometer of how far this program was and the coaches failed miserably. Fans are willing to let some stuff go as long as it looks like it's a good quality product on the field but right now I would have a hard time to come up with a defense this bad since the start of the program. The rate this defense is going it's going to be last in every major defensive stat.)

Um the records between 1999 - 2000

1999 Record: 12–1–0

2000 Record: 10–2–0

2001 Record: 11–2–0

I must admit I had my head in the sand those years not knowing the wheel was falling off those years, what could I have been thinking?

I can't say I was much impressed. He mentions various sides to the same story and yet manages to not include that perhaps one side has a point while the others don't. I could write something to that effect with ease, glossing over facts and figures and instead going for an emotional movie-script approach to highlighting the ambiguity of this team. But it's bullsh#t, so I won't bother. We've had four seasons to compile stats on the current administration, and in every category of value there is nothing but failure to point to. Everyone put down the Koolaide and wake up. Instead of letting emotion and melancholy dictate rationality, let logic do it––you'll be a lot better off.

X

I took something very dark, and very, very disturbing from that post.

Look at everything he cataloged. When one side of the ball shines the other melts down. One success followed up by a let down. Dating back to 2001. 62-36. And all that followed.

When all those things get laced together, it is a culture of losing. Slowly built, but there all the same. The players, and to some degree the coaches, believe that the other shoe is about to fall all the time.

To me, this makes it more important than ever to re-evaluate who is captaining the ship. If this continues the way it looks, and a dismal season results, keeping with someone who doesnt have the players believing that they will win every time they walk on the field, we need someone who can make them believe. I remember hearing from one former player, I cant remember which, that when he played for Osborne, every time they took the field, they believed they would win the game. Not hope, not thought they might, didnt like thier chances. Believed it with every fiber of their being. We dont have that right now. And that may well be the crux of the issues.