New offense in making..

Ya I just really dont think that Osborne will have much of anything to do with the coaching aspect of the future. He probably will have a strong pull on who they get obviously but I dont think there is a coach in the nation who has someone breathing down his neck at every move he makes. I would love an offense similar to Oklahomas instead of West Virginias. We have so much talent at the wide receiver position and some good ones coming in and a spread offense just doesnt utilize them as much as a more balanced offense. Also if we do go to a spread offense I see Lee taking over first with Gabbert to follow.

This is the exact same thought I had when I first read this thread. I don't want to be West Virginia. Not that there's anything wrong with WV, but to recruit the kind of talent you need to run that kind of offense it would take another 2-3 years with the program in limbo. We have too many good receivers and what looks to be a good throwing arm with Gabbert coming in.

That said, I do think you can get back to the power running game and use the I as our base formation. With Castille and Lucky (Jonas Gray, Roy Helu in the future) in the backfield and the play action I think that would be a very productive offense. My biggest criticism of BC's style is that he likes to go with a single back and try to spread the defense out so Lucky can move laterally. Would like to see more out of the I straight ahead with Glenn and Castille.

West Virginia with a DEFENSE=Florida or the New Millenium Big Red!

Recruit a Tebow, VY... and work him in like Florida did with Leak. Leak was a passer, but even he could keep it on the read once in a while, and they brought in Tebow to run options and other keeps. Remember that option ball limits the defense and allows the offense to dictate coverages. You won't get DEs shooting up field across the LOS, they will have to play assignment ball and that allows for playactions, boots and the such. Allowing the FB and QB to run opens up things for the I-Back and the option keeps the safeties back, because you can always hit an athletic TE down the middle. The spread substitues a slot back for the TE/FB and adds the threat of 3 vertical passing threats at any time. Because of the threat of option/read plays, the coverages are limited and you can kill secondaries that tip to close to the LOS (Percy Hervin at FLA). VY at UT with Sweed and Pitman and Thomas at TE. 150-200 players including the walkons and we have an updated offense for the 21st century, that encompases the old and the new.

My preference for an offense at this point would be a gradual return to the option with a semi-balanced flavor for at least next year. Since we have the weapons at receiver, we might as well use them, but we've just GOT to start fusing the triple option in with what we do. Sort of an option/WCO hybrid for a season, where we can run or pass out of the I-formation like USC does. But the running game has to be dominant in everything. That's our bread and butter––the passing is a treat for the quarterback.

And for heaven's sake, SOMEBODY BRING IN A FULLBACK WHO CAN SMASH THAT LINE!

X

Ok guys..this is how I would love to see things pan out. Somehow we convince Bo Pelini to come back to good ole Nebraska. Coach Osborne is basically an "advisor" and AD to our program and works with Pelini to hire a new coaching staff. During the next 2-3 years Osborne will help Pelini come up with a new offense which is based around the option but has a modern style to it much like the popular spread offense many teams have. Osborne gets Pelini's feet planted and he lets him take over as head coach. Osborne continues AD duties and finds someone suitable to take the AD position. Joe Ganz will be the first to run this new offense and will pass it off to Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully hes got wheels....

Lets hear what you guys got...

I'm thinking zac lee would be a better fit then ganz

Its gonna look a little something like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIvJjxhjRY

Thing of beauty

Watched this one too. Has TO giving his farewell to the players in the locker room.

Wow, that even had me tearing up. Well, all except for that part where he lays the OU player out cold. Great video though. I sure would like to meet Coach Osborne. I know he's an ex Congressman and all, but he's still "Coach Osborne" to me.

I honestly don't think running the option is the answer here. We have the kids now to run the WCO (at least that is what we are told). If we run an offense such as Meyer's or Zook's I will be happy. As fun as it was to watch NU line up and have the offensive line tell them what they were running and where it was going to run and the defense still could not stop it, the way the game is now, the Sooners, Floridas, Longhorns, etc... are just too fast for it now.

I honestly don't think running the option is the answer here. We have the kids now to run the WCO (at least that is what we are told). If we run an offense such as Meyer's or Zook's I will be happy. As fun as it was to watch NU line up and have the offensive line tell them what they were running and where it was going to run and the defense still could not stop it, the way the game is now, the Sooners, Floridas, Longhorns, etc... are just too fast for it now.

Just because you run the option doesn't mean you have to run it every play. The idea of a power running game is to use power AND speed to wear down your opponent. I still haven't seen a single good argument against the option/power running game. The "too fast" thing is just ridiculous in my opinion.

X

Ok guys..this is how I would love to see things pan out. Somehow we convince Bo Pelini to come back to good ole Nebraska. Coach Osborne is basically an "advisor" and AD to our program and works with Pelini to hire a new coaching staff. During the next 2-3 years Osborne will help Pelini come up with a new offense which is based around the option but has a modern style to it much like the popular spread offense many teams have. Osborne gets Pelini's feet planted and he lets him take over as head coach. Osborne continues AD duties and finds someone suitable to take the AD position. Joe Ganz will be the first to run this new offense and will pass it off to Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully hes got wheels....

Lets hear what you guys got...

It would be fun, however it wont be Gabbert running any sort of option or anything that involves him being mobile. If we change the offense he walks away. But that is fine with me because we have Zac Lee, dude is a speedster.

have you seen the videos of Blaine Gabbert running the football. that kid has some wheels. and if i am not mistaken his 40 time at the NU camp was in the Scott Frost range and he is 4 inches taller than Scott was.

I realize he can move, but i think if we change the offense he walks away. He wants a pro style offense that can get him to the next level. That is the only reason he chose us over many other schools.

I thought Gabbert had an uncle, or his dad played for NU and that had as much to do with it as the offense.

Just because you run the option doesn't mean you have to run it every play. The idea of a power running game is to use power AND speed to wear down your opponent. I still haven't seen a single good argument against the option/power running game. The "too fast" thing is just ridiculous in my opinion.

X

I dont agree that defenses are to fast for the option. It has nothing to do with it. As long as your guys are blocking properly and your QB can learn when to and when not to pitch, you should be able to run it on everyone. The best is when it gets going and the defense sells to the option run and then we run the option pass, thats when it is all over my friend.

X

I dont agree that defenses are to fast for the option. It has nothing to do with it. As long as your guys are blocking properly and your QB can learn when to and when not to pitch, you should be able to run it on everyone. The best is when it gets going and the defense sells to the option run and then we run the option pass, thats when it is all over my friend.

Not only that, but the intelligence it takes from a LB corps to defend the option makes it that much more difficult. Once you throw the passing game in there, the option becomes completely indefensible. Which is why I like the triple option over the spread, especially when mixed in with a much more complicated running scheme. I like a ball control offense and a running game which eats clock. The spread can be, I dunno, too "quick strike" for my tastes (depending on how you run it, obviously).

X