New book chronicles fall of NU football

vdandy

Interesting, written by a disgruntled former employee. Who knows what's true and what's not, but that is questionable right off the bat. I read Diary of a Husker, so maybe I'll pick this up to get a different perspective.

Kind of like the read put out by a disgruntled former 2nd stringer. I didn't read that one, and I won't be reading this one. What's really sad is this author probably just became a millionaire. Who wants to bet he had an entirely different book already wrote proclaiming BC's excellence just in case the skers made a BCS game this year?

Interesting, written by a disgruntled former employee. Who knows what's true and what's not, but that is questionable right off the bat. I read Diary of a Husker, so maybe I'll pick this up to get a different perspective.

Kind of like the read put out by a disgruntled former 2nd stringer. I didn't read that one, and I won't be reading this one. What's really sad is this author probably just became a millionaire. Who wants to bet he had an entirely different book already wrote proclaiming BC's excellence just in case the skers made a BCS game this year?

I really don't think Kolowski is a "disgrutled former 2nd stringer".... On top of that, it's his memoirs written as he was IN college. Not afterwards.

I thought someone had busted that myth about Callahan deemphasizing the walk-on program.

There have been articles ad nauseum about the walk-on program being alive and well.

Does everyone realize that this book is written by an undergrad and it's self-published? Going this route you can say anything and no one - no editor, for example - checks the veracity. You don't buy it from a publisher... it's just a printer.

Excellent point. Doak's heavy involvement in this is questionable. According to his delusional rants, he is responsible for connecting Callahan to Pederson, not an agent. So should we blame Ostergaard for the fall of the program? :sarcasm

Round and round we go, where it stops, no one knows. :madash

Between you and me, I think the real destructive force in the NU football program is best illustrated by a scoundrel that would cash in by writing this book. Taking private comments (probably out of context, or out of frustration) and then using them to foster outrage is about as low as you can go. I know that there are some lifeless knuckleheads that will eat this up, and use it to try and destroy Callahan or some other scapegoat . . . but that sort of trash is what is REALLY killing this program.

I don't agree that this is what is killing the program, but I do agree that this book is nothing more than someone cashing in. Like I said, I would almost bet anything that the same author has a completely different book written just in the case that BC would have gotten us to a BCS game this year. He probably already had both books written before the season even began and was going to cash in on whichever one was right for the time!

Osborne's reply to this has been printed and if you read between the lines, it is obvious who he believes. Callahan has never understood or embraced the traditions of our program. He has a history of disrespecting people "dumbest team in America" and "F'ing Hillbillies." He has been cocky since he got here and should have responded in his press conference yesterday "It was great having Coach Osborne here to get more familiar with what we do. It doesn't make it more difficult but because it shows that were are doing things to make this team better." What he said was a direct shot a Osborne.

For the comments on the walkon program. Yes it is still "alive" but it is doccumented about how it has been cut from 40+ in the Osborne/Solich years to as few a 9 in the Callahan years.

It is my opinion that the few of you who are still defending Callahan are either family members of his or Steve Pederson, or you are really not fans of this program. Have you not witnessed what has gone on in the past 6 years?

Does everyone realize that this book is written by an undergrad and it's self-published? Going this route you can say anything and no one - no editor, for example - checks the veracity. You don't buy it from a publisher... it's just a printer.

Are you saying that self-published books are no good? I purchased many books that were self-published that were extremly good. Some people do the self-publishing to get out there. Don't downgrade self-publishing.

"It was great having Coach Osborne here to get more familiar with what we do. It doesn't make it more difficult but because it shows that were are doing things to make this team better."

Sounds very similar to >>

“We are building a strong relationship with Coach Osborne,” Callahan said. “He knows this program inside and out, and that makes him a valuable resource for me, my staff and our players.”

From the LJS. Do you expect him to consult you for the exact wording?

Folks need to calm down and stop be so reactionary. Reading the board these days reminds me of listening to junior high girls at a slumber party.

This includes accounts of Coach Callahan calling TO some profane names

What do you guys think of this story?

Here's the intro:

A book written by a University of Nebraska-Lincoln student charges that the recent decline in the success of Nebraska football can be attributed to the abandonment of cultural values that once gave the program strength.

The book, "The Nebraska Way," was written by Jonathan Crowl, a senior English major, and it devotes substantial discussion to the past half century of Nebraska's storied football program.

But several chapters contain accounts of animosity, frustration and alienation within the Athletic Department during the tenures of former athletic director Steve Pederson and NU Coach Bill Callahan.

The book also includes an account of profane criticism from Callahan toward former football coach Tom Osborne, who was described as "trying to run things from Washington" during his tenure in Congress.

If anything, it will sure as hell make his job as a reporter more difficult.

Here's my take....I'd be very hard pressed to believe BC or any FB coach that would come in here would have the gall to diss 1 of the greatest coaches of all time. I would think that any AD (including SP) would reprimand any coach if it was brought to their attention that comments like this were made. If BC is unable to refute any of these comments, then yes he should be fired. No way he comes back. However if he didn't then he doesn't deserve the attention for these comments. W/that said I hope his butt gets canned soon so our recruits can either begin their recruiting process again or wait to see who the next HC will be and decide whether they want to stay or go. :-)

Callahan didn't deny making any of the comments.

So here's what he thinks about Nebraskans:

“F-ing people need to get a life,” Callahan said, according to Ostergard. “Why don’t they go read a book or get lost in the Sandhills?”

So, where's the documentation that these statements were referring to "Nebraskans"? The newspaper article this comes from places the context only in reference to "a newspaper article," not to "all Nebraskans."

Did you get "Nebraskans" from the book?

I supported Coach Callahan when he got here and was willing to give him time to make the changes and get the kids he needed. It didn't work out. I thought that, well hes just stubborn as he just won't change his play calling when things aren't working, because he doesn't have the right kids running it yet. When it works he can say I was running the same stuff when we were losing, now you all can see what I was trying to do back then.

There's more to this mess than that. The AD's office was losing people and donors, the team was not playing with any fire, his defense was turning into one of the worst in the nation. Former players felt unwanted. He showed no fire or emotion on the field and had the same responses after each lose or close call. His loyalty was to Coz not the program and his, I know more than you attitude didn't sit well with anyone.

His days in Oakland seem very similar to what is going on here. This man is not head coach material, college or pros. IMO

GBR!!!