what the new NU coach needs to do

Obviously the next NU head coach needs to hire a good staff, develop the players, and have a play book that isn't 8 inches tall, but a few off the field things I would like to see...

Keep the Football 101 for Women. This was one of Callahan's few successes and not only did it raise money for charity, but the women enjoy it and learn a lot.

Keep the Fun Run on fan day each August.

Regardless of whether the gameplan is old school or new, we need to change the uniforms back to the old school Johnny the Jet style; shoulder stripes, black shoes with white laces, gray facemasks. Lets get back to smashmouth and honor the past at the same time.

Yeah that. As Jason Peter said, bring back the "phsicality" of Nebraska Football. I actually wouldn't care as much if we win or lose if we are the most physical team on the field each and every Saturday (and I can guarantee that if we are, we'll win a hell of a lot more than we lose). That's what I miss these last four years the most.

Yeah that. As Jason Peter said, bring back the "phsicality" of Nebraska Football. I actually wouldn't care as much if we win or lose if we are the most physical team on the field each and every Saturday (and I can guarantee that if we are, we'll win a hell of a lot more than we lose). That's what I miss these last four years the most.

I too desperately miss NU smashmouth.

The wco is a fine offense but is a terrible match for us.

I'm about two steps from advocating the rampant use of steroids by our players. Not really. But, seriously?

I do agree...we need to figure out a way to separate ourselves again (like the strength and conditioning did in the 80's and 90's). I don't really know if that is possible...but we need something, we need the intangibles - something that a mere weight-room can not provide.

If i were a coach, I would work on the defense and their tackling. Everytime i see one of these pansies try and arm tackle or hit someone above the waist they owe me 50 push ups. I dont care about the big hit and all this flashy crap, all i care about is the offense not getting one more yard. Its funny the radio announcers were saying it takes 3 guys to take down the J-train..................NO IT DOESNT.....it takes one person that knows how to tackle. If someones ankles or legs are wrapped together, they arent going anywhere. I am 5'8" 170 and i could bring down the J-train by simply wrapping up his legs, sure i would get run over but he isnt getting any farther than me after his ankles are tied together.

BAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I AM MAD AND I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine how good our defense could be with Pelini as Head Coach and Mike Stoops as Defensive Coordinator. The best sure tackling I have ever seen in any game was when Stoops was co-coordinator for his brother as OU won the National Championship against Florida State and only gave up a SAFETY. If defense wins championships that would be a powerful coaching duo.

On Friday Scott Frost was being interviewed on 1620. He mentioned when he was with the Jets, Browns, and Packers he may have played for some good coaches but he was a poor tackler and none of the coaches worked on that with him. It wasn't until he got to Tampa Bay where he was taught to tackle by a staff that stresses fundamentals. He said he became an above average tackler. He is currently the LB coach at Northern Iowa and he is teaching the same Tampa Bay techniques to his players.

It would seem obvious that Callahan and staff have maintained that NFL standard of not teaching. Cosgrove may not be from the NFL but he adopted that policy.

One thing I have been scratching my head over the last couple days. Callahan constantly stresses getting the players as many reps as possible. What the heck are they doing with those reps because it sure as hell isn't getting them game ready!

Note: Until this point I have always been respectful and refered to him as "Coach Callahan". No more.