3rd & 2 in the red zone

jb61264

forgive me if I don't remember the exact specifics of the play(s), but we were 3rd down with only 2 yards to go in our red zone and and we call a play that has Sam Keller running wide?...what the hell was that. I don't think there was even a running back in the backfield at that time. A&M ended up stopping us on 4th down.

with Helu Jr. beating the A&M defense to the corner pretty much all day long, why in the hell did we not have him in the backfield at that time?...for that matter, where was Lucky or Castille?...there was nobody back there and Sam Keller runs toward the sideline to get to the end zone???? for crying out loud, Sam Keller can't even run out of the nice freaking pocket that the O line gives him every time he steps back to throw.

forgive me if I don't remember the exact specifics of the play(s), but we were 3rd down with only 2 yards to go in our red zone and and we call a play that has Sam Keller running wide?...what the hell was that. I don't think there was even a running back in the backfield at that time. A&M ended up stopping us on 4th down.

with Helu Jr. beating the A&M defense to the corner pretty much all day long, why in the hell did we not have him in the backfield at that time?...for that matter, where was Lucky or Castille?...there was nobody back there and Sam Keller runs toward the sideline to get to the end zone???? for crying out loud, Sam Keller can't even run out of the nice freaking pocket that the O line gives him every time he steps back to throw.

You have to remember who is calling the plays <_<

GBR!!!

This play calling is a wide spread problem outside of Les Miles....UT fans complain weekly, I see it time and time again in the NFL, and more times than I can count on Saturdays....

I actually disagree with you on this only because we almost are always passing on 3rd and 2 at this point. Other teams use it to catch the D looking run only.

As often as we pass on 3rd and 2, it shows me BC has lost faith of the O-line, just like he has lost faith of the Defense. That is why the offensive play calling, and along with it our Offensive stats, are going in the tank. Thus, each week looks worse than the previous week.

This play calling is a wide spread problem outside of Les Miles....UT fans complain weekly, I see it time and time again in the NFL, and more times than I can count on Saturdays....

I actually disagree with you on this only because we almost are always passing on 3rd and 2 at this point. Other teams use it to catch the D looking run only.

As often as we pass on 3rd and 2, it shows me BC has lost faith of the O-line, just like he has lost faith of the Defense. That is why the offensive play calling, and along with it our Offensive stats, are going in the tank. Thus, each week looks worse than the previous week.

In all fairness at what point has this O-line shown any ability to knock anyone off the line?

In all fairness at what point has this O-line shown any ability to knock anyone off the line?

Wasn't Cartille averaging 7 ypc vs TAM?

Of course, our "NFL genius" HC would have run his favorite Lucky for no gains anyways....

Yes that was the third 3rd and 2 in the game where we did the same play with all wideouts and no RB in the backfield to even give the possibility of a run. I just shook my head each time after the first. The first call would have been Watson's and the others Callahan. It must have been determined pregame they would run that in that situation.

On the radio, the announcers alluded that Watson called the plays in the first half but Clownahan called the plays in the second half. Does anyone know for sure if this was the case? If it was, then it's very easy to see why Clownahan sucks as a coach because we didn't score one measely point in the second half. Also, do we knit during halftime or what? We're down only 2 points going into halftime, and the only reason we were down was because of a botched fair catch on a punt. We come out and let A&M score on their first two drives while we accomplish nothing on ours. Ball State and USC each scored 21 points in the 3rd quarter. I'm convinced that at half we must either be knitting sweaters or smoking a bowl because there sure as hell is no adjustments being made.

On the radio, the announcers alluded that Watson called the plays in the first half but Clownahan called the plays in the second half. Does anyone know for sure if this was the case? If it was, then it's very easy to see why Clownahan sucks as a coach because we didn't score one measely point in the second half. Also, do we knit during halftime or what? We're down only 2 points going into halftime, and the only reason we were down was because of a botched fair catch on a punt. We come out and let A&M score on their first two drives while we accomplish nothing on ours. Ball State and USC each scored 21 points in the 3rd quarter. I'm convinced that at half we must either be knitting sweaters or smoking a bowl because there sure as hell is no adjustments being made.

You nailed the problem right on the head. I have posted this here and other boards lately but this IS the problem. In the NFL the games are won and lost based on the athletes abilities. All of the players are great and it just depends on if they are on their game. the phrase, "On any given Sunday..." came about because any team can beat any other team during any game. Many factors there to consider. In college it is different. The athletes are not all super stars and there are weaknesses in every team. The teams come in with a game plan and it is the coaching that makes the adjustments, usually at halftime but throughout of course, in order to capitalize on the weakspots of the opposition. In the NFL there are fewer weakspots. The athletes are great. In college they are like fingerprints...everyone has them. So, college coaches must be able to react and make adjustments.

Callahan, being an NFL guy doesn't seem to understand this nuance about the college game. He is stubborn, thinking that the Huskers must stick with the game plan no matter what.

this is the question for the ages. i dont understand either why you throw the ball when you could hammer Castille up the middle 2 plays in a row.

but hind sight is what 20/20?

if the play call worked then everything is fine and no one questions it, but since it didnt work everyone has a better idea.

what happens if NU brings in Castille runs him 2 times up the middle and aTm stops him? everyone will again question, why not a play action pass. it is the feeding frenzy that is going on right now because no one has faith in the current staff, and right now it looks like they do not deserve it either

Yes that was the case with Watson calling the plays in the first half.

the "moron" doesn't matter where he is on the field, if it's 3rd & 2, bet your ass that the moron is throwing the ball...

There has been too many times where it's 3rd and short and that "F-tard" throws the ball. Makes me want to drive to Lincoln, and kick him in the groin. Since he is on "planet me" and doesn't matter to him that the good Dr. is watching him make a complete ass out of himself.

I'll be glad when the "Black Death" of this program will be cured. It has plagued us for 4 years too long...