Marlon Lucky

I'm sure Lucky is still the most complete back we've got. I doubt he's our best pure runner, but I've never thought he was. But he's the total package and he's obviously got a place in the offense. I'm glad he's having himself a good season.

I would say that you are spot on. I believe he is our BEST PLAYER. I really do not think he is our best running back, and I do not think he is our best receiver.

I agree Marlon Lucky had been having a great year, but it has been overshadowed by obvious problems. Marlon Lucky has been consistent when used correctly in games, and is one of our best players. Lucky is a very good multi-purpose back, as stated earlier in the thread. I expect great things from him next season, he improves every season, and along with Lucky, we will have Castille, Helu, and Wilson back. I'm glad we have Lucky back next season.

GBR!!

I'm still a little surprised at his inability to get to the edge.

His best work appears to be in the open field. In the old system he would have been one of the most imposing wingbacks that Nebraska had ever seen. He would have been a solid lead blocker in the option, the reverse field guy, and a receiver on play action.

In a newer offense, his passing ability is good so backwards passes to him from the wingback position would have given him a pass option also and they could use him for quick screens as a heavy wide receiver.

I think he would be much better this year with some solid motivators around him to make him elevate his play even further. He shows tendencies to run harder at times, but it's not always there. Cut backs don't seem to be a strong point which will hurt his NFL chances. Working with a running back like Priest Holmes would be good for him.

Pretty much meaningless when we have a losing record. Last time I checked it is a team game. Plus the reason he is getting these records is because out of the 300 page play book these guys have to memorize, they only know about 4 of the pages, and half of those plays are screens and dump passes. Lucky isn't a game breaker. Castille and Helu could do the same thing if given the bulk of the snaps.

man who crapped in your cereal? the guy gets ripped apart by some on the board.... I dont hear anyone saying "its a team game" but whe he breaks records....

this poor kid cant win

I have to say that I'm a little confused to hear someone say that Lucky is not a gamebreaker. I think he is one of the few players on the team that could take it to the house from anywhere on the field. The only other guy that gets regular playing time that can do this is Hardy. I know Sean Hill did score from 70+ yards but I don't think that is the same, although he didn't get caught from behind. :wacko:

I think we should use Lucky like USC used Bush, get him into the open field and let him work. I don't think Bush was or is a great running back in a typical sense, I think the same about Lucky. I do like what Lucky brings to the table but I don't think we are using him to his full potential.

Helu may be able to do this once he gets a little more confidence. I love the way Castille runs the ball (when he holds onto it)but he won't be a back that scores on long runs regularly, I'm not sure he has the speed. Of coure, I have been wrong once before, I think.

I don't care what anyone says.....marlon is our best player.

NO ONE can convince me that ANYONE on the defense even deserves to be in the top 5.

Sam has shown signs of brilliance, but....I was at the A&M game.....he did anything BUT impress me

Mo may have a case.....but how can we be sure?? since he never gets the ball.

Marlon is our best player. Hands down.

3 times he broke 100 yds rushing this season nevada, ball state , Iowa state........he was held to under 50 yards by usc, a&m.... held to under 70 yards by mizzou and okie state........... had 1 game that he went over 100 yards recieving and that was a&m only game he had over 80 yards recieving was ball state the rest he had under 50 yards recieving.............he hits any resemblance of a hole with trepidation and fear.......and all year long castille has made him look average............it is the ugly truth...........I like Marlon ........I do, but this has been a bad year and he even admitted preseason he has not lived up to his billing.....hence the number change..........................................hell Nate Swift and Barry Turner are my favorites and both are having sh**ty years

I don't care what anyone says.....marlon is our best player.

NO ONE can convince me that ANYONE on the defense even deserves to be in the top 5.

Sam has shown signs of brilliance, but....I was at the A&M game.....he did anything BUT impress me

Mo may have a case.....but how can we be sure?? since he never gets the ball.

Marlon is our best player. Hands down.

3 times he broke 100 yds rushing this season nevada, ball state , Iowa state........he was held to under 50 yards by usc, a&m.... held to under 70 yards by mizzou and okie state........... had 1 game that he went over 100 yards recieving and that was a&m only game he had over 80 yards recieving was ball state the rest he had under 50 yards recieving.............he hits any resemblance of a hole with trepidation and fear.......and all year long castille has made him look average............it is the ugly truth...........I like Marlon ........I do, but this has been a bad year and he even admitted preseason he has not lived up to his billing.....hence the number change..........................................hell Nate Swift and Barry Turner are my favorites and both are having sh**ty years

:yeah

That's what I see too. He looks good against average teams. He is too hesitant. Awesome in the open field catching a pass. That isn't a slam on Marlon at all. Just because you are rated high by the recruiting experts doesn't mean you ARE that good.

I agree with an earlier post that he would have been a great wing back. But I like the freshmen backs. Shows alot of promise for the next few years, especially if our recruiting class isn't that great in 2008.

I'm still a little surprised at his inability to get to the edge.

His best work appears to be in the open field. In the old system he would have been one of the most imposing wingbacks that Nebraska had ever seen. He would have been a solid lead blocker in the option, the reverse field guy, and a receiver on play action.

In a newer offense, his passing ability is good so backwards passes to him from the wingback position would have given him a pass option also and they could use him for quick screens as a heavy wide receiver.

I think he would be much better this year with some solid motivators around him to make him elevate his play even further. He shows tendencies to run harder at times, but it's not always there. Cut backs don't seem to be a strong point which will hurt his NFL chances. Working with a running back like Priest Holmes would be good for him.

Interesting take.

Pretty much meaningless when we have a losing record. Last time I checked it is a team game. Plus the reason he is getting these records is because out of the 300 page play book these guys have to memorize, they only know about 4 of the pages, and half of those plays are screens and dump passes. Lucky isn't a game breaker. Castille and Helu could do the same thing if given the bulk of the snaps.

Didn't people say the samething about Glenn last year that he could do what Lucky is doing if he was just given the chance. Where is he at these days? :madash I heard running on the Scout team. Castille needs to hang on to the ball and what exactly has Helu shown that proves he could do what Lucky has? Once again the guy gets no credit from some folks. I'm sure that Lucky going into the flats or over the middle is the same play. I'm sure he doesn't do that on multiple plays. It's xbox just keep calling the same plays. :wacko:

So unless the team is winning stats mean nothing? Troy Davis back to back 2000 season don't mean crap because those teams sucked. Most of Barry Sanders and Walter Payton's pro stats are meaningless because their teams were terrible most of the time. <_<

As of this week WE don't have a losing record it is 4-4 and to use the logic of the "Talking heads" after the 02 season that is not a losing season. :sarcasm

Helu by far was the fastest back out there. He was able to turn the corner and gain good yardage. There were many times when Lucky caught a dumpdown pass that there were receivers open downfield. Swift and Hill were open on a couple of different occasions. Don't know why SK isn't throwing them the ball. It was good to see the young kids finally get the ball. Lucky avg 2.9 ypc while Castille had nearly 7 ypc and Helu had nearly 8 ypc.

it is because he doesnt have the time to wait for them to get open. by the time he makes his first and second read the d-line is on him and he has to drop the pass off........or that was the play call in the first place and Lucky was the first read

As of right now Lucky has broke the Single game, season, and career mark for receptions by a RB. More then likely within the next game or two he will have set the record for season & career yardage by a RB as well as the OVERALL season reception mark. He is on pace to end up with 73 receptions this year which would put him at 107 for his career 36 short of the career mark. Which would be very reachable if the "New" staff uses him like he should be used. Before you knock him take into consideration that the records he is breaking were set by Cory Ross, Jeff Kinney and Johnny Rodgers. Johnny "Freaking" Rodgers people. It is not like he is breaking records of guys that played on teams that only ran the ball. Those guys played on teams that weren't affraid to throw the ball around. He was also 1 catch short of the overall record for receptions in a game and 6 yards short of the yardage mark for RB in a game.

Say what you want about him hitting the holes or whatever else the "talking heads" on here complain about, this guy may be the best receiving threat to EVER come through NU as far as RB's are concerned. He gets short changed because we were spoiled by the likes of Ahman, Rozier, Phillips etc. and because Recruiting Websites put crazy expectations on him. This guy is good and is more then likely going to end up with more then 1500-1600 total yards and that is with a line that can't run block and splitting time with 2 other guys.

(disclaimer) For those that feel the need to bash this guy I've heard it all before blah, blah, blah. I'm tired of all the National Enquirer crap around here and want to talk some stinking football for a change.)

Considering Clownahan has had a woody ever since recruiting Lucky, what's the big deal? To quote Jim Rose "Whoop ti do that he has set a single game record for completions. In order to win, we're gonna need a lot more weapons than just him"! The dump off pass to the RB for a few yards here and there doesn't mean much when we're losing 41-6 or whatever. Jackson bolted for the NFL because of Clownahan's infatuation with Lucky. Don't get me wrong, Lucky is a good back. However, he's not the second coming. If he jetted for the NFL, I'd say he'd be "lucky" to get drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Maybe if he robs a convenient store, we can bail him out and he'll turn his life around and become an attorney here in Nebraska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Marlon just enhanced his pass blocking, he would be in all the time. That is basically why they take them out.

What a stud he could be.

If castille would have had most of the carries against am we would have racked up killer yards......4 times Marlon was handed the rock in 3rd and short and was stopped for a loss........he averaged 2.9 ypc in the A&M game ......................his reception yards were so high because keller was fighting for his life but not one reception by Marlon affected the game.............The consenus by all the fans I was with was why did'nt Castille get the ball more not wow Look at Marlon........He just lost 2 yards on 3rd and short.

Marlon Lucky=good back, not great. The NFL wants backs that can actually find the hole and run through it. I realize his coaching while at Nebraska has been absolutely TERRIBLE, but he's not going to be the next big thing in the NFL. He might make some money after NU, but it won't be as much as some would like you to believe!