The Sporting News

Struggling powers need time to bounce back

October 24, 2007

Matt Hayes

The good doctor strode to the podium last week, and an entire state exhaled.

The healing had begun.

Hundreds of miles -- and another world -- away, Miami (Fla.) and Florida State prepared for the be-all, end-all that has dissolved into a free fall. There was some strange symmetry to the whole thing: three elite, standard-bearing programs drowning in mediocrity.

"There is no magic cure," says Tom Osborne, Nebraska's iconic former coach who was lured back to Lincoln as interim athletic director/savior.

There's no quick fix, either -- especially for three college football programs that have fallen so far so fast. How far? In the '90s, Nebraska, Miami and Florida State won six national titles. Since the start of the 2004 season, they've lost 51 games.

Of the three, Miami is in the best shape to bounce back. The 'Canes promoted recruiting whiz Randy Shannon to coach last offseason, and Miami already has locked up key high school recruits in South Florida -- something that had been a challenge for the 'Canes the past three years.

But what about Nebraska and Florida State? Osborne's return means 'Huskers coach Bill Callahan is out -- possibly as soon as this week. Nebraska must find a charismatic coach (see: Wake Forest's Jim Grobe) who can heal a fractured fan base and quickly wean the team off Callahan's finesse philosophy on both sides of the ball.

Florida State's road back, meanwhile, is uncertain and may not come into focus until legendary coach Bobby Bowden decides to retire -- which isn't going to happen any time soon. Athletic director Dave Hart is the only dissenting voice among the school's administration; president T.K. Wetherell played for Bowden when Bowden was a receivers coach in the 1960s and says the coach will stay as long as he wants. There's a reason Wetherell announced in May that Hart's contract wouldn't be extended past January 2009. Read between the lines and understand that Bowden will be at FSU until at least the end of the 2008 season, when a new athletic director can lead a search for a new coach.

In other words, unlike at Nebraska and Miami, the healing at Florida State is years away.

HELP WANTED

The pink slips aren't out yet, but these five prime college football head coaching jobs will be open at the end of this season:

1. Michigan. It's LSU coach Les Miles' job if he wants it.

2. Nebraska. The program is a desperate for a leader, and Wake Forest's Jim Grobe would be the perfect fit.

3. Texas A&M. The oil barons in Houston will pay whatever it takes to bring in the right guy.

4. Clemson. Tommy Bowden's erratic era is coming to an end.

5. Arkansas. Butch Davis wouldn't leave North Carolina after one season ... would he?

Matt Hayes is a staff writer for Sporting News.

Grobe is an interesting candidate. He does run that spread option, and he does get excellent effort out of his teams.

Pelini is still my top choice, however.

Yeah, Pelini is the one that seems like sure bet on at least the most important side of the ball. Bring in Gill as an OC and I'll be doing snoopy dances. Two guys who will motivate the hell out of our players and cram the tradition down their throats until it's oozing from their pores.

Maybe a pipe dream, but I think Pelini is a likley candidate.

X

Grobe is an interesting candidate. He does run that spread option, and he does get excellent effort out of his teams.

Yeah, Pelini is the one that seems like sure bet on at least the most important side of the ball. Bring in Gill as an OC and I'll be doing snoopy dances. Two guys who will motivate the hell out of our players and cram the tradition down their throats until it's oozing from their pores.

X

I find it amusing that just because we are having huge problems on "D" this year some people want a wildman DC for our Head job. Sounds like a bandaid approach to the situation. Just because a guy isn't on ESPN on a Sat. night in an SEC game atmosphere jumping around calling the other team MFers and slapping guys on the ass, doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach. The new guy just needs a good DC for us to have a good "D".

Anyway if Miles goes to Michigan, wouldn't Pelini be next in line at LSU? And if they don't want him, why would we? I know he likes Lincoln, but LSU seems the better job now. Also, he doesn't sound like TO's type to me. Tom gets one shot at this, he will NOT take a long or even medium shot kind of guy. Grobe or Glenn would be good choices. Even if they don't turn things around, Tom won't look bad having hired them. The same can't be said for Pelini or Sarkisian.

I would think that you would have to swing for the fences on this one. not take the Safe bet to make you look good. I dont think that Tom will make the hire just to make himself look right.

he will do what is right for the Skers.

Oh yea and i still hate that Brian Bosworth guy. He gave me nightmares as a child.

The Mich-situation worries me. Rumor has it they go for Miles but does Miles leave and open the LSU job? I still wonder if Mich goes for Kelley from Cinci. Folks in the state are very high on Kelley due to his championships at Grand Valley State and Central Michigan. LSU won't let go of Miles without a fight. If Bo did stay to coach LSU Kelley could be a good candidate for us.

X

I find it amusing that just because we are having huge problems on "D" this year some people want a wildman DC for our Head job. Sounds like a bandaid approach to the situation. Just because a guy isn't on ESPN on a Sat. night in an SEC game atmosphere jumping around calling the other team MFers and slapping guys on the ass, doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach. The new guy just needs a good DC for us to have a good "D".

Anyway if Miles goes to Michigan, wouldn't Pelini be next in line at LSU? And if they don't want him, why would we? I know he likes Lincoln, but LSU seems the better job now. Also, he doesn't sound like TO's type to me. Tom gets one shot at this, he will NOT take a long or even medium shot kind of guy. Grobe or Glenn would be good choices. Even if they don't turn things around, Tom won't look bad having hired them. The same can't be said for Pelini or Sarkisian.

What's TO's type? In case you haven't noticed this team needs somebody to jump around, throw a few f-bombs out, and slap them on the ass. They play with no intensity, and have shown little that would resemble they know how. Throwing the bones up a few times a game isn't exactly spewing fire on the field. These guys need a leader and Pelini is the perfect fit. He and TO are a lot more alike than you think. For starters they are both white, :sarcasm . Actually they both coach with passion and manage to get the most out of their players, that's something that I think we all could enjoy watching. GBR!!!