We can all take a lesson from Kansas!

HuskerT

Kansas is a perfect example what can happen when you are well coached. They don't have better talent than us, they don't have better facilities than us, they don't have better fans than us, they don't have a bigger recruiting base than us, they don't get more T.V. exposure than us, they're not faster, bigger, stronger or more talented than us. The difference is that they're coaching staff is able to get the most out of the talent that they do have. They're coaching staff prepares their players to play, motivates them when they need to be motivated and most importantly makes adjustments when they need to be made.

This is not an isolated incident, this sort of thing is happening all over the Big 12 and the country. It's happening at places like Missouri, Kansas, Kansas st, Colorado, Arizona st, Oregon, Boston College, South Florida, Rutgers, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Boise st, I think you get the point. It's happening all over the country, but it's not happening at Nebraska. I take my hat off to these schools, I'm completely jealous of the direction that their programs are heading in and the coaching staffs that are guiding them. I only hope that one day other schools and their fans will again be jealous of Nebraska!

Kansas is a perfect example what can happen when you are well coached. They don't have better talent than us, they don't have better facilities than us, they don't have better fans than us, they don't have a bigger recruiting base than us, they don't get more T.V. exposure than us, they're not faster, bigger, stronger or more talented than us. The difference is that they're coaching staff is able to get the most out of the talent that they do have. They're coaching staff prepares their players to play, motivates them when they need to be motivated and most importantly makes adjustments when they need to be made.

This is not an isolated incident, this sort of thing is happening all over the Big 12 and the country. It's happening at places like Missouri, Kansas, Kansas st, Colorado, Arizona st, Oregon, Boston College, South Florida, Rutgers, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Boise st, I think you get the point. It's happening all over the country, but it's not happening at Nebraska. I take my hat off to these schools, I'm completely jealous of the direction that their programs are heading in and the coaching staffs that are guiding them. I only hope that one day other schools and their fans will again be jealous of Nebraska!

:yeah

This year more than any other is showing us what teams can do with proper motivation, recruiting classes and gaudy Heisman candidates notwithstanding.

this is the first time since 1909 that the jayhawks have gone 8-0.

think about that.

in that time at least two generations have been born, lived and died. it was until a few years ago that they actually *beat* nebraska... the first time in my life.

and hopefully, the last.

This is my vote for post of the year. Great points!

There is no doubt that talent is a factor but the critical factor is the extent of performance elicited from that talent. Kansas is getting great performance from modest athletes and NU is getting poor performance from better than modest (and approaching good) talent.

Coaching matters, hugely.

They have coaching. NU does not. It is very simple.

this is the first time since 1909 that the jayhawks have gone 8-0.

think about that.

in that time at least two generations have been born, lived and died. it was until a few years ago that they actually *beat* nebraska... the first time in my life.

and hopefully, the last.

well, yes, but that says absolutely nothing whatsoever about the current team (except that some of the current players played during that KU win - though not many). even fewer played in the 90 years before that, if you catch my drift. i think he was talking about Kansas here and now, and he's absolutely right. KU does not have better facilities, better tradition, a much larger and more dedicated fan base, but are still getting it done better than the Huskers.

i disagree though that the Huskers have better talent, or at least i'm holding out until i get to see them live this weekend.

...Coaching matters, hugely....

Especially at Kansas...sheesh!! Sorry...couldn't resist...

But..on a more serious note..

I think we have to consider talent evaluation in the equation as well. We believe we are more "talented" then the teams you've mentioned, and I've no doubt that at some positions we are. But the teams you've mentioned aren't completely devoid of talent. KU for instance, Aqib Talib and Reesing appear to be the "real deal". Much like Chase Daniel at MU everyone overlooked Reesing because he wasn't 6'3"...look who's laughing now. Recruiting stars don't mean squat on the field. I mean c'mon...this ain't Pokemon brother!!! Gimme a hard nose football player willing to leave it on the field every game every time. That's the kinda' kids you see at KU, KSU, and CU. They've bought in to what their respective coaching staffs are doing and it's showing up on the field.

I realize this is your point...and I agree whole heartedly...

...Coaching matters, hugely....

Especially at Kansas...sheesh!! Sorry...couldn't resist...

But..on a more serious note..

I think we have to consider talent evaluation in the equation as well. We believe we are more "talented" then the teams you've mentioned, and I've no doubt that at some positions we are. But the teams you've mentioned aren't completely devoid of talent. KU for instance, Aqib Talib and Reesing appear to be the "real deal". Much like Chase Daniel at MU everyone overlooked Reesing because he wasn't 6'3"...look who's laughing now. Recruiting stars don't mean squat on the field. I mean c'mon...this ain't Pokemon brother!!! Gimme a hard nose football player willing to leave it on the field every game every time. That's the kinda' kids you see at KU, KSU, and CU. They've bought in to what their respective coaching staffs are doing and it's showing up on the field.

I realize this is your point...and I agree whole heartedly...

Agree! I'm not so sure that all these recruiting services take a kids heart and determination into consideration.

KU's had a much more favorable schedule than we have had. Let's say we play 4 cream puffs in a row this year. The team gains valuable confidence. We could be easily staring down at an 8-1 to 7-2 season at this point in time. Mangino is a better coach than Clownahan, and there's no real debating that fact. However, some of the schools you mentioned do not have better coaches than we do. For example, Pinkel in Missouri is a complete asshat. He kicked us when we were down, but OU (the same OU that got beat in Boulder) put them in their place. Pinkel and Mizzou win a few games they shouldn't and lose several that they should win. He's a moron. Zook at Illinois I would put in the same boat. He's a great recruiter, but he's not a very good coach. Look at what Meyer did with Zook's recruits. It's just that Zook replaced an even more incompetent coach at Illinois. A leapard doesn't just change his spots.

Isn 't it funny how we were fed the recruiting BS just 4 years ago. These coaches did exactly what Pud said we needed to do to get better. We get more heralded recruiting classes, and now we are worse. If you really break down Solich's recruiting classes, they ended up being a lot better on the field than they ever were on paper. The same can be said with TO's recruiting classes. They recruited to fit the scheme rather than simply recruiting stars. Solich's biggest problem was it seemed like each really good player he got was only on the D. Clownahan seems to heavily recruit to the offense, and it's showing.

Isn 't it funny how we were fed the recruiting BS just 4 years ago. These coaches did exactly what Pud said we needed to do to get better. We get more heralded recruiting classes, and now we are worse. If you really break down Solich's recruiting classes, they ended up being a lot better on the field than they ever were on paper. The same can be said with TO's recruiting classes. They recruited to fit the scheme rather than simply recruiting stars. Solich's biggest problem was it seemed like each really good player he got was only on the D. Clownahan seems to heavily recruit to the offense, and it's showing.

:yeah

I agree that Solich wasn't as bad as he was made out to be from a recruiting stand point. I will say that I like the aggressive approach this staff takes towards recruiting though. Which is unlike the Solich approach. I seem to recall that Solich and staff would always wait until the end of the year to begin to really recruit. By that time most of the "preceived" talent was already committed. At any rate...that's all water under the bridge now.

I only hope that the next staff understands talent evaluation and can coach the potential out of the kids they are able to get.

That's said...everyone seems to be lamenting the departure of Gabbert...but has anyone taken notice of Levorson from Crete. He is physically the same...and I dare say...very talented as well...although maybe not a "polished"...

I agree that Solich wasn't as bad as he was made out to be from a recruiting stand point. I will say that I like the aggressive approach this staff takes towards recruiting though. Which is unlike the Solich approach. I seem to recall that Solich and staff would always wait until the end of the year to begin to really recruit. By that time most of the "preceived" talent was already committed. At any rate...that's all water under the bridge now.

I only hope that the next staff understands talent evaluation and can coach the potential out of the kids they are able to get.

That's said...everyone seems to be lamenting the departure of Gabbert...but has anyone taken notice of Levorson from Crete. He is physically the same...and I dare say...very talented as well...although maybe not a "polished"...

I will agree that Solich waited until he was through coaching for the year. However, I think Clownahan and company spend way tooooooooo much time on the recruiting during the season and it affects their coaching during the season. It seems the only thing they focus on is recruiting and it's showing with the game time performance. Look at how many D players from the Solich recruits that are now playing in the NFL. He definitely had some players. Look at the DB's he had drafted high (Bullocks twins, etc.) and LB's and front 4. He just didn't have many horses on offense in terms of RB's and QB's. Recruiting is great as long as it doesn't hinder performance on the season. I think Clownahan and Co. have spent way too much time on recruiting instead of game preparation.

Reesing is Doug Flutie! I saw him at Austin Lake Travis. He is 5'10" and a very good runner and has a cannon arm. They now have the nation's top junior QB in Garrett Gilbert, 6'3" 195 kid, great arm, but not the runner that Reesing is. His dad played for Cal and in the NFL. They list him at 5'11", but he's 5'10".

I will agree that Solich waited until he was through coaching for the year. However, I think Clownahan and company spend way tooooooooo much time on the recruiting during the season and it affects their coaching during the season. It seems the only thing they focus on is recruiting and it's showing with the game time performance. Look at how many D players from the Solich recruits that are now playing in the NFL. He definitely had some players. Look at the DB's he had drafted high (Bullocks twins, etc.) and LB's and front 4. He just didn't have many horses on offense in terms of RB's and QB's. Recruiting is great as long as it doesn't hinder performance on the season. I think Clownahan and Co. have spent way too much time on recruiting instead of game preparation.

Good point...seem to recall a thread about this. Someone was on a flight with an assistant...who basically said as much...

You bring up a interesting point...seems like we need a "happy medium" between defensive and offensive recruiting...