Keller not forgotten

Steven M. Sipple: Give a tip of the cap to Keller

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2007 - 12:13:57 am CDT

Out with Sam, and in with Joe.

We’re a society that’s quick to discard items even before their expiration date. The same goes for quarterbacks, particularly if a capable and eminently likable backup is waiting in the wings.

At any rate, it seems altogether unfair to casually discard Sam Keller, although this Joe Ganz fellow is indeed appealing, what with his easygoing and quick-witted off-field persona, fiery on-field manner and respect he commands among his Nebraska football teammates.

“Joe’s waited a long time to prove who he is and what he can do,” Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said of the junior from suburban Chicago, heretofore a seldom-used reserve.

“I’ll tell you this, this football team will rally behind Joe,” Watson said. “He might be the most liked person on this team.“

So, there was Ganz dutifully fielding questions from reporters Tuesday during the team’s weekly media luncheon. He’s a tough guy from Chicago, said Husker head coach Bill Callahan, also a tough guy from Chicago.

“He’s earned his spurs,” Callahan said of Ganz, a lovable underdog and feel-good story in a Nebraska season basically bereft of anything particularly pleasant.

For what it’s worth, Ganz was confident and well spoken during the luncheon. Here was the new kid bringing new energy that just might become a spark. Here was the new leader of the offense facing the media herd, a role Keller filled admirably during the first nine weeks of the most tumultuous season at Nebraska in four-plus decades before a broken left collarbone ended Keller’s season Saturday at Texas.

This past August, Ganz lost a close race with Keller for the starting job. Yes, it was close, Watson said. Seemingly all the Nebraska coaches and players say it was close, although nobody outside the team seems to believe it.

“Joe didn’t give an inch. Wouldn’t give an inch,” Watson said. “Joe’s a competitor — a mean and ornery competitor.“

Out with Sam, and in with Joe.

No, no way, it’s really not fair to have Keller fade into the background without a respectful tip of the cap and pat on the backside. The California kid did everything in his power, used every fiber of his being, to try to clean up the mess that is Nebraska football.

Keller was like the firefighter who works 48 straight hours without complaint — indeed, with pep in his step — to douse the rapidly spreading wildfire. At some point, however, a guy needs some backup, something to ease the pressure.

In Keller’s case, a little run defense, better pass protection and a reliable ground game would’ve helped matters greatly. He picked a fine time to come to Lincoln, what with a Nebraska defense that ranks 119th nationally (out of 119 teams) defending the run. But he never complained, at least not publicly.

“He started out slow, but he really started getting it, really came on,” Watson said. “He had some rough spots. But probably the thing I’m most proud of is he fought through those rough spots. I thought he did a great job against Texas (in a 28-25 loss). He was outstanding.

“He had had a rough spot the week before (in a 36-14 loss to Texas A&M). He missed some very obvious reads. I think he took it personally and battled through it. You have to be a tough guy to do that.“

You know the Keller story. He was the “gunslinger” who arrived at Nebraska with one season of playing eligibility remaining. He had been humbled at Arizona State. Teammates there turned on him. NU represented a second chance. He sat out the 2006 season and paid his dues on the Huskers’ scout team. He became a strong leader.

“At the beginning of this season, he was a little reluctant to say anything to the guys after the game or before the games,” NU junior wide receiver Nate Swift said. “As the season went on, in practice he was slapping everyone on the butts trying to get everyone ’up.’ In the huddle, he’d talk to guys to calm them down after something went bad. On the sideline, he’d try to keep everyone up, especially in the last four games. He’s a really positive guy.“

Keller has a charisma and presence about him that stops conversations when he enters a room. His look added to the hyperbole that accompanied his arrival at Nebraska. Many of us expected huge results from Keller, and at times he delivered (for instance, his 438-yard passing performance against Ball State). But he would have been hard-pressed to match fan and media expectations.

In the final analysis, he probably was asked to carry too heavy a load. A guy’s right arm can carry only so much weight, no matter how strong and accurate.

And now, Keller can’t lift his left arm.

As a starter at ASU and Nebraska, he compiled a record of eight wins, nine losses and a slew of life lessons. His 2007 passing statistics were good: 205-for-325 (63.1 percent) for 2,422 yards and 14 touchdowns, with 10 interceptions.

But statistics tell you nothing of the positive energy Keller exuded despite deflating negativity that swirled around the program as it limped to a record of 4-5 overall and 1-4 in the Big 12 entering Saturday’s game at Kansas (8-0, 4-0 Big 12). That’s what I’ll remember most about Keller — his positive vibe and resiliency.

Out with Sam and in with Joe?

Well, sort of. This Keller kid’s a keeper. Gone, not forgotten.

link

Great article....

I am as excited as anyone for the Joey Ganz era to begin cause that SOB earned his shot.

But with that being said I hurt for Sam Keller. The man was as fiery as it got and in my eyes was a true Husker through and through. I would of loved to have him around for more than just one year.

Good Luck Sam!!!

You are a bada$$ and I can't wait to see you play on Sundays.

Say what you want. But if Ganz goes out and wins 2 of 3....god save us all.....3 for 3....people won't even remember Keller suited up. Oh, and what we'll all hear of "Why wasn't he starting all year long?!?!?"

That said, he'll be lucky to win one with our open spigot defense.

Say what you want. But if Ganz goes out and wins 2 of 3....god save us all.....3 for 3....people won't even remember Keller suited up. Oh, and what we'll all hear of "Why wasn't he starting all year long?!?!?"

That said, he'll be lucky to win one with our open spigot defense.

He better figure out how to score 35 points per game.

Keller's the man.

I hope he gets drafted.

Keller will be a bust in the nfl. period.

NO! he Won't.

Not if he gets with the right team.

Well then he needs to learn to scramble cause i guarantee that those d-linemen will be a helluva lot quicker than in college. Every pro qb who starts has some capacity to scramble, keller can't. plus he needs to work on not staring down receivers also. The days of having a pure pocketpasser in the nfl is over. I mean he seems to be able to run the scout team pretty good ;) lol.

Well then he needs to learn to scramble cause i guarantee that those d-linemen will be a helluva lot quicker than in college. Every pro qb who starts has some capacity to scramble, keller can't. plus he needs to work on not staring down receivers also. The days of having a pure pocketpasser in the nfl is over. .

Vinny Testaverde

Great article....

I am as excited as anyone for the Joey Ganz era to begin cause that SOB earned his shot.

But with that being said I hurt for Sam Keller. The man was as fiery as it got and in my eyes was a true Husker through and through. I would of loved to have him around for more than just one year.

Good Luck Sam!!!

You are a bada$$ and I can't wait to see you play on Sundays.

I agree. I love the guy and I feel bad for him. Went through all that BS at ASU... came here to get some redemption... the team around him didn't live up to the hype... and now his college career is over.

Best wishes to him.

Well then he needs to learn to scramble cause i guarantee that those d-linemen will be a helluva lot quicker than in college. Every pro qb who starts has some capacity to scramble, keller can't. plus he needs to work on not staring down receivers also. The days of having a pure pocketpasser in the nfl is over. .

Vinny Testaverde

he can still scramble. while he might not do it as often as he needs to he does run with the ball. Look at his game stats for yourself.