Will Nebraska & Texas A&M compete for any of the same coaching candidates?

Just curious what you all think.

simply put...........maybe.

I am not extremely familiar with either schools facilities. Is there something that would give one school the edge? At first glance I would say Nebraska just based off of tradition. Thoughts? What candidates could both schools be looking at?

Just curious what you all think.

simply put...........maybe.

I am not extremely familiar with either schools facilities. Is there something that would give one school the edge? At first glance I would say Nebraska just based off of tradition. Thoughts? What candidates could both schools be looking at?

A&M used to have a D called the "wrecking crew". Nebraska used to have a D called the "Blackshirts". I'm guessing both will be going after a strong D minded coach. A&M has the edge when it comes to recruiting in your own backyard. Nebraska has better tradition, but I really don't know how much that really draws potential incoming recruits. A&M seems to believe they can get any coach that they seriously go after, and they might be able to do that. When A&M hired Franchione, he was a pretty hot item. Bama' hired him to be their next great thing. He left early because further sanctions came upon the school. I have no idea why he flopped, but he has. IMO, A&M will beat NU out for just about any coach. If they both go for Pelini, I do think NU has the leg up there. Other than that, if both have one finalist and he's the same guy he'll probably be heading for College Station.

Facilities are about equal at both schools. Tradition, depends on how you define it, tradition of winning championships, Nebraska has a big edge but I don't think that matters to an incoming coach. Fan support, Nebraska has the edge because of the tradition of sell outs, A&M has a huge number of rabid fans but they don't sell out every single game. A&M has the edge in two things that are appealing to a coach, as mentioned above the Aggies are recruiting Texas high schools which is a double edged sword because you have the Horns, Sooners and LSU also going up against you when you go for the five star recruits and A&M loses some of those battles. The other edge is in money. However deep you think the pockets are at Nebraska they are deeper at A&M and those people will spend ANYTHING to win football games (and to beat Texas). Unless you are down here you have no idea about how bad the Aggies want to do everything better than Texas and will stop at nothing to do it. It's kind of crazy.

NU has an advantage as far as facilities, and a slight advantage in terms of tradition and national recognition.

A&M has an advantage in recruiting base and a slight advantage in terms of available money.

That Said, while they may interview a few of the same coaches I believe they have different ideas of who the first person on their lists are.

A&M seem to be interested in a big name draw right away, while NU is looking more towards guys that are familiar with the program first.

Pelini will probably be looked at by both, but I don't see NU going after Tuberville, Leavitt or another name being thrown around the A&M job in Ron English, Nor do I think those at A&M are looking at Gill, Grobe, Tedford or Paul Johnson who have been named as possibilities for NU.

One thing I'm not sure about is how much of an edge A&M has money wise now. 5 years ago I'd give the BIG edge to A&M, however with what has been going on around the Nebraska program lately, I'm not sure a whole lot of money wouldn't be found somewhere if a bidding war was to take place... especially with another B12 school.

A&M looks to be after Tuberville from Auburn or Chris Peterson from Boise State, that is what I have heard. I talked to a guy out in Aggieland today who said they are highly interested in Peterson.

I think we would be more interested in Peterson than we would Tuberville. Tuberville I just don't see leaving Auburn, but you never know. How about this for a scenario. Tuberville goes to aTm and we get Auburn's defensive coordinatoor Will Muschamp. That would be a helluva game. :thumbs

They'll compete for this one-

Keeping Johnson at Navy Just Got Tougher

By David Ausiello

Posted Nov 5, 2007

Beating Army and Air Force – check. Winning the CIC Trophy – check. Going to and winning a bowl game – check. Being named coach of the year – check. Finishing the season in the Top 25 – check. Beating Notre Dame – check. That’s a lot of checks for Navy’s Paul Johnson, but they could pale in comparison to the one he may get thrown his way now that his resume in Annapolis is all but complete.

On a day when Navy fans were celebrating the end to a 43-year losing skid to the Fighting Irish, another notable program faltered for only the second time in 36 years against a rival opponent. Kansas, which had put to bed its own 36 years of frustration against Nebraska two years ago, beat up the Cornhuskers, 76-39.

If Bill Callahan’s fate wasn’t sealed (tough to believe) before his team gave up 25 three-pointers and a free throw to the Jayhawks on Saturday, it definitely is now. Nebraska fans have already circled Friday, November 23 on their calendars as the official day that interim athletic director Tom Osborne will announce that he has formed a committee to find a new coach.

There should be little doubt now that Osborne’s committee will place a call to the Naval Academy.

And there should also be little doubt that it won’t be the only call Paul Johnson receives this November and December.

In addition to area code 402 (for Nebraska), Navy officials should probably not be surprised to see the following area codes come up on their caller id as well: 404, 254, 979, 315, 479, and 919. Those calls would be coming from head hunters representing football programs at Georgia Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M, Syracuse, Arkansas and Duke respectively.

Navy’s victory over Notre Dame brought a whirlwind of media attention because it ended the longest losing streak in the history of college football. But don’t be surprised to start hearing in the same media circles and on internet message boards around the nation about why the streak ended. Because when people awaken from the post-Notre Dame victory haze, it will become clear exactly how the Mids were able to overcome seemingly insurmountable disadvantages to beat the goliath of the football world.

(Editor’s Note: Prepare yourself for some grammatically incorrect words.)

They outcoached them. Specifically, Paul Johnson out-coached, out-maneuvered, out-strategized and out-everythinged his counterpart, Irish head coach Charlie Weiss. This actually shouldn’t come as much of a slight to Weiss because he is now a member of an expanding club of people who have been toyed with on the gridiron by Johnson.

I could list about two dozen coaches here who are official members of the “Out-coached by Johnson” club, but let’s just say it includes current or former folks from Boston College, Pittsburgh, Duke, Air Force, Connecticut, Stanford, Army, Colorado State, New Mexico, and Rutgers (pre-football factory version).

So how will this all play out? Will Johnson stay at Navy or will he be lured away to a place where he can make a run at another national championship, albeit a bit of a bigger one than the two he has already won at the Division 1-AA level.

Time will only tell, but make no mistake, its hunting season in Annapolis again and there’s a big prize waiting to be claimed

I know that everyone is talking Tuberville as A&M's next coach but I hope not.

I would rather go with Tedford.

He is younger, has done more with less, and would better relate to players. He has a low buyout and would have better facilities.

Negatives are - He is a california guy and may jump ship to go back when the right job comes along.

Tuberville - large buyout, older, similar to RC.

Don't worry I doubt if we are going after Bo.

I just hope we can pull the trigger soon but even if we do I would think that the coaches they are talking about will be in a bowl until January but still it would be nice for the recruits to know a top guy is on his way.

AD's like BB and Tom frustrate the fans when they insist on waiting till the end of the season. We both have cancers in our program and they need to be cut out now, not a month :madash from now.