Where will Solich coach next

Which of the open jobs do you think Frankie will get?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I actually voted for Solich going to ND. Even though it is a stretch, I believe he could be a good fit there. Work with me on this. A lot of you say he can't recruit. Well that is okay because ND says they will not lower their academic standards for incoming recruits meaning they won't get a lot of the best players out there anyway. He runs an offense similar to what Lou Holtz ran with Tony Rice and Bettis. For the most part, there were no scrapes with the law when Solich was at Nebraska. ND needs consistency and who knows about consistency better than Solich/Osborne at keeping coaches around for a long time.

Solich seems to get players except for Lord to play better than they are. This is what ND is going to have to have because lets face it the best players aren't going to ND any time soon. At ND, you don't have to win every game just 8 or 9 to be in the hunt.

I know he won't get the ND job, but IMO he could be a good fit there. To me, I just don't think any coach right now will look seriously at the ND job. If Meyers turns down his dream job, then that should tell you something right there. ND is going to have to make a lot of concessions in order to get a big time name right now.

I just think that it is sad when you think about how far college football has sunk. Ole Miss fires a coach for one bad season? Bill Snyder probably doesn't even feel secure any more. Don't these schools know that you can't win them all every year? Bobby Bowden and Paterno are two of the most winning coaches ever. They don't win a NC every year. Bowden doesn't even have as many NC's as Osborne.

My guess is he will become an NFL assistant. The man couldn't recruit with all the lure and prestige of Nebraska at his disposal. Why would anyone else even give him a chance? If given the choice between hiring an old man that failed at his only HC gig or taking a chance on some young unproven guy that would command less money....well. I doubt he ever gets another headcoaching job, outside of podunkville community college anyway.

My guess is he will become an NFL assistant. The man couldn't recruit with all the lure and prestige of Nebraska at his disposal. Why would anyone else even give him a chance? If given the choice between hiring an old man that failed at his only HC gig or taking a chance on some young unproven guy that would command less money....well. I doubt he ever gets another headcoaching job, outside of podunkville community college anyway.

I disagree. Solich can recruit, there's no doubt about that to me. His assistants let down for awhile in recruiting. HE can coach to. Look at his record. He will get a job this year and a pretty decent one I'm guessing.

I disagree. Solich can recruit, there's no doubt about that to me. His assistants let down for awhile in recruiting. HE can coach to. Look at his record. He will get a job this year and a pretty decent one I'm guessing.

I agree. Like I said before, he has inquired about the Indiana job and I really hope he gets it. I think he'll thrive there.

I agree. Like I said before, he has inquired about the Indiana job and I really hope he gets it. I think he'll thrive there.

I don't thik any coach would thrive at Indaina. I say this because I don't believe the commitment by the university is there.

I'll ask again Benard why was it all the other caoches faults when the recruiting stunk? Solich is the head man and had a hand in it alos.

I don't thik any coach would thrive at Indaina. I say this because I don't believe the commitment by the university is there.

I'll ask again Benard why was it all the other caoches faults when the recruiting stunk? Solich is the head man and had a hand in it alos.

I didn't say it was all the other coaches fault. Just because your head coach doesn't mean the whole recruiting thing is on you. I think it would be safe to say that Blake has landed and recruited more than callahan. Big deal thats what assistants are for. DArlington and tenopir got to old and didn't like to travel and didn't like the long hours. Know the facts.

I guess it depends on your meaning of 'thrive'. I don't think he'd ever win a national championship, obviously. But I think he could win quite a few games and go to some bowls. Plus he should be able to land the top option quarterbacks who still want to be quarterbacks now that no one wants them except the service acadamies.

I didn't say it was all the other coaches fault. Just because your head coach doesn't mean the whole recruiting thing is on you. I think it would be safe to say that Blake has landed and recruited more than callahan. Big deal thats what assistants are for. DArlington and tenopir got to old and didn't like to travel and didn't like the long hours. Know the facts.

Actually, it is all on the head coach. Like the CEO of a company, he is ultimately responsible for the performance of those he hires. If the assistants are slacking off in recruiting, then it is the responsibility of the head coach to know it and to take steps to correct it. Know the facts.

Actually, it is all on the head coach. Like the CEO of a company, he is ultimately responsible for the performance of those he hires. If the assistants are slacking off in recruiting, then it is the responsibility of the head coach to know it and to take steps to correct it. Know the facts.

Right, hence the staff changes between 2002-2003. But we'll never know how recruiting would have improved because we didn't give it a chance.

I guess it depends on your meaning of 'thrive'. I don't think he'd ever win a national championship, obviously. But I think he could win quite a few games and go to some bowls. Plus he should be able to land the top option quarterbacks who still want to be quarterbacks now that no one wants them except the service acadamies.

I agree with you on Indiana being a place that would work for him. Indiana used to be an option team, then the last coach brought in the west coast offense and that failed. Going back to the option would probably be welcomed at the school and since not too many teams run it anymore, Solich would have his pick of the players that want to play in that system. However, I don't think Solich would do better than 6-5 or 7-4 at IU. Football at Indiana is like basketball at Nebraska. It plays second fiddle. I am not sure the university cares about turning the Hoosiers into a football powerhouse. He wouldn't have the pressure to win like he had at Nebraska. I think at best, he could expect a showing like Minnesota has had recently in the Big 10.

Solich mentioned in relation to Ole Miss job..

The search for the next Ole Miss football coach entered its seventh day Wednesday with only one known coach confirming contact between himself and school officials.

Southern Cal defensive line coach/recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron confirmed that he had been contacted by Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone on Monday and that he was interested in becoming the Rebels next coach.

But since that time other candidates, such as former Washington and Colorado head coach Rick Neuheisel, have reportedly dropped out of the running.

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino issued a statement through his agent on Tuesday that he was going to stay put and not entertain other job offers, including the Notre Dame opening which he had been linked to starting Monday.

Former Notre Dame coach Tyrone Willingham was called but showed no interest in the Ole Miss opening while former Florida coach Ron Zook was officially hired at Illinois on Tuesday afternoon.

Other possible candidates that have been linked to the job opening early this week include Georgia defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder and University of Miami defensive coordinator Randy Shannon.

Shannon, however, told the Miami Herald through a Miami media relations member Tuesday afternoon that nobody had contacted him about the Ole Miss position.

VanGorder also hasn't been contacted, according to reports from Georgia, and while he is believed to want to take a head coaching job, he is very loyal to Georgia coach Mark Richt.

Other possible candidates include former Nebraska coach Frank Solich, Auburn defensive coordinator Gene Chizik and LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher.

http://www.oxfordeagle.com/sports1.html