Where will Solich coach next

Which of the open jobs do you think Frankie will get?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I disagree. Solich can recruit, there's no doubt about that to me. His assistants let down for awhile in recruiting. HE can coach to. Look at his record. He will get a job this year and a pretty decent one I'm guessing.

I agree. Like I said before, he has inquired about the Indiana job and I really hope he gets it. I think he'll thrive there.

I don't thik any coach would thrive at Indaina. I say this because I don't believe the commitment by the university is there.

I'll ask again Benard why was it all the other caoches faults when the recruiting stunk? Solich is the head man and had a hand in it alos.

I didn't say it was all the other coaches fault. Just because your head coach doesn't mean the whole recruiting thing is on you. I think it would be safe to say that Blake has landed and recruited more than callahan. Big deal thats what assistants are for. DArlington and tenopir got to old and didn't like to travel and didn't like the long hours. Know the facts.

Actually, it is all on the head coach. Like the CEO of a company, he is ultimately responsible for the performance of those he hires. If the assistants are slacking off in recruiting, then it is the responsibility of the head coach to know it and to take steps to correct it. Know the facts.

Fish rots from the head down.

Ohio is the natural choice here. Besides it being where he was born and raised, he really can't screw anything up. The team already sucks. Can't go any further down.

Same goes for Indiana, except that the Big 10 has so many bowl tie-ins, he could build a program that would got to a bowl most of the time and maybe compete for a big 10 title once or twice.

Ohio is the natural choice here.  Besides it being where he was born and raised, he really can't screw anything up.  The team already sucks.  Can't go any further down.

Same goes for Indiana, except that the Big 10 has so many bowl tie-ins, he could build a program that would got to a bowl most of the time and maybe compete for a big 10 title once or twice.

Doesn't sound like indinia is interested in him, I really thought he would go there. OH well.

What does this say about other schools views of Frankie? I mean all these coaches get recycled and he gets offered Army or UNLV. He hasn't been offered anything this year and there were tons of jobs. I know there are still jobs left but what one is actually a good job? It only took Ron Zook a month to get another job. Willingham less then two weeks. If you ask me he should of took the UNLV job. He could of went down there possibly won some games and maybe moved back up to a better school. I think this is what old "Strip Club" Price is doing.

He didn't do anything spectacular here to deserve better. His offensive mind is what I think is holding him back; nobody in college football wants to run the offense that he knows so well. He didn't prove he could recruit very well at NU. And everybody sees what he did as taking a storied, dominant program and letting them become mediocre. You think if TO would have given 5 more years of his life to the program we would have had Jamaal Lord and Josh Davis starting in the backfield, EVER? Absolutely not.

Hoyamann,

I have to ask you some questions about being spectacular and Solich not doing that. You say TO wouldn't have let us slip into mediocracy if he'd have stayed another 5 years. Well in life and in football, timing is everything. TO knew the recruits we had coming in, his recruits, were very young and the next year or two was going to be very difficult. He supposedly retired due to health reasons. Within a year or two he was running for Conress. To me, this is jumping from the frying pan into the skillet if stress was causing his health problems.

If you think Jamal Lord is the worst QB to play at NU in the last 30 years, then you've simply forgot about some of the QB's of NU past. Remember Mike Grant, Mickey Joseph, McCants, etc. None of these guys were very good, and they played when the Big 8 was less than steller. In the late 80's-mid 90's until the Big 12 was formed, the Big 8 really only had one or two teams ranked. OU was bad, Iowa State horrible, Missouri was bad, K-State was just emerging, OSU was bad, CU had some very good teams, and KU horrible. NU basically only had to worry about one game on the conference schedule to be in the hunt. Because our non-conference was and still is a joke, we basically only had to worry about the CU game.

Even after the Big 12 was formed, there weren't really any dominant teams in the late 90's except for NU. I still remember being embarrassed in 96 in the Big 12 championship game against an unranked Texas team. IMO if TO had stayed, we'd be asking the same questions Penn State fans are asking themselves. Should we fire the man who has brought so much to this program now, or should we wait until the coach makes the decision to move on?

ESPN made a very good point last week in stating that teams in colder climates are having extreme difficulties in getting the best players because these players want to play in fun cities where the weather is usually warm. Ok, so they were talking about Notre Dame. However, I believe it is just a shift in culture. The better players are staying down south or on the West Coast to play. This is why we need a coach that can develop talent from lesser athletes instead of a coach who "needs" the best athletes. One of the reasons we got a player into NU like a Tommie Frazier was simply because he wasn't heavily recruited as a QB at most schools because they didn't run the option. I really believe getting away from an offense that most teams don't run is a mistake because you can get the best players that run that offense. If NU has to go out and recruit against the Florida schools, Texas, OU, California teams, etc. each and every year; we aren't going to lure a lot of the best athletes away from them.

I'm afraid this recruiting class coming in could be a ticking time bomb just like Texas had a couple of years ago. If BC is making playing promises to these guys like Mack Brown did Sims, then we are sitting on a time bomb. IMO, Mack Brown cost Texas a NC by playing Sims instead of Applewhite. However, he had made a promise to Sims and his dad and stuck to it. If BC is promising Beck and Lucky instant stardom next year, then we could be in for a long season once again. As far as I'm concerned, college athletes might as well be paid for their services because for most of the better recruits college is just a stepping stone. They don't care about the game, and they don't care about championships. They care about being seen on TV, and they care about their stats. How many people really think the OU freshman would be back next year if the NFL would let him in?

With high profile athletes coming to your school, there is always a price. Just ask Ohio State about how much Claurett is costing them. We all know Blake can recruit, but we also know how much he gets out of these recruits by looking at his record at OU.