Callahan suffering from the plague of Pederson?

I was just curious about Bill Callahan not embracing Nebraska tradition. I hear about how Pederson was also a guy that wasn't embracing Nebraska tradition, so I was wondering if how much Pederson had to do with Callahan's attitude towards tradition. I have heard that it was Pederson who didn't allow old players on the side lines and I have also head that was Callahan's rule.

Is Callahan getting a bad wrap for doing what he was told or was he really against keeping with tradition?

Offense has a big game and people say maybe keep Callahan and just fire Cosgrove. Few weeks back when the offense didn't do great, people wanted Callahan gone. Keep in mind the number of possetions in some of those games that Huskers scored some decent amount of points but were still blown out. The offense gets more chances to score when Teams are having 4 and 5 play scoring drives over and over and over.

Keep in mind when the Huskers put up a few scores late in games against 2nd/3rd string players.

Callahan finally admitted the defense basically sucks and as a result, it required him to change up his offensive play calling during the course of the game to try to play catch-up. Had Callahan realized this early on and fired Cosgrove, things would probably be a whole lot different i.e. Osborne may not have come back into the picture; we could be looking at a winning season; Husker Nation would be happy, etc. Unfortunately for him, he didn't make the change and I think it's a little to late for that now. Having said all that though, I would not be surprised if Callahan were retained if he agreed to make some coaching changes and/or if Osborne can't find a suitable new HC and not wanting to make the same mistake as Pederson, keeps Callahan on for another year or two. The chances of that happening though are unlikely.

I respect Callahan's loyalty to his friends and staff. There's nothing wrong with that IMO. But he has a job to do and sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do to get to where you want to be.

But...I have wondered how much of Callahan's undoing was a direct result of Pederson's meddling.

Yeah, well maybe the next coach will be perfect - god knows he'd better be- and the players will play like they give a sh#t, (when do we hold them accountable?) and let's hope we won't have any injuries and we won't have any penalties ever. This is a young team you know.

whoa, whoa, whoa big boy. if you watched the KU game yesterday you saw one of the best coached teams in college football. their talent is slightly better than average, at best, but all their position coaches are outstanding. Mangino has surrounded himself with great teachers/motivators of the game and he should be commended for it too. even if they don't win out, i would nominate Mangino for coach of the year and cally for loser of the year.

Callahan finally admitted the defense basically sucks and as a result, it required him to change up his offensive play calling during the course of the game to try to play catch-up. Had Callahan realized this early on and fired Cosgrove, things would probably be a whole lot different i.e. Osborne may not have come back into the picture; we could be looking at a winning season; Husker Nation would be happy, etc. Unfortunately for him, he didn't make the change and I think it's a little to late for that now. Having said all that though, I would not be surprised if Callahan were retained if he agreed to make some coaching changes and/or if Osborne can't find a suitable new HC and not wanting to make the same mistake as Pederson, keeps Callahan on for another year or two. The chances of that happening though are unlikely.

I respect Callahan's loyalty to his friends and staff. There's nothing wrong with that IMO. But he has a job to do and sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do to get to where you want to be.

But...I have wondered how much of Callahan's undoing was a direct result of Pederson's meddling.

even with an entire new staff and that ain't gonna happen, you still have the arrogant know it all SOB calling stupid plays. no, no. nooooooooooooo.

Yeah, well maybe the next coach will be perfect - god knows he'd better be- and the players will play like they give a sh#t, (when do we hold them accountable?) and let's hope we won't have any injuries and we won't have any penalties ever. This is a young team you know.

It's the head coache's job to hold the players accountable and play like they give a sh#t. Callahan has done a miserable job of both.

whoa, whoa, whoa big boy. if you watched the KU game yesterday you saw one of the best coached teams in college football. their talent is slightly better than average, at best, but all their position coaches are outstanding. Mangino has surrounded himself with great teachers/motivators of the game and he should be commended for it too. even if they don't win out, i would nominate Mangino for coach of the year and cally for loser of the year.

Let me know when Kansas plays someone with a defense or a team that is in the top 50 then maybe I'll give Mangino credit and :worship Mangino like the media seemed to be doing all Saturday.

The statement "Bill Callahan is fired," seems to already be regarded as fact rather than prediction. Is Callahan just a figure head in the fall of Steve Pederson? I will grant you that this season has been bad, but Callahan is an offensive guy, and as Billy is quick to point out the offense has been fine. Doesn't anyone want to see what a little continuity mixed with a little change can do? I think that Bill is a fighter, and just last year we were in the Big Twelve Championship game. I also think that one more year for Bill would be far from a bad idea.

He has never come back when down at the half, he doesn't adjust to what is being played on the field. In order to maintain a role in the top 25 you have to do those things. Look at the Texas game, they made adjustments we didn't.

yeah but in '05 we were the dogs to CU and Michigan and we won both. Yes 07 sucked but we did win games we were not supposed to.

I hope the next guy will ask the fans their opinion before he makes any moves, gameplans or speaks to the media or steps outsides his house or brushes his teeth. Gods knows we forgive little.

What games did we win in '07 that we weren't supposed to?

Let me know when Kansas plays someone with a defense or a team that is in the top 50 then maybe I'll give Mangino credit and :worship Mangino like the media seemed to be doing all Saturday.

So you are saying that KU isn't really that good? Then I guess losing to them by so much makes us really suck? Well then I would say that means BC is a worse coach then I thought ( and I didn't think much of him to begin with) so he really needs to go. BC is a terrible coach and we need to say this experiment was a failure and let him go be a coach somewhere else.

yeah but in '05 we were the dogs to CU and Michigan and we won both. Yes 07 sucked but we did win games we were not supposed to.

I hope the next guy will ask the fans their opinion before he makes any moves, gameplans or speaks to the media or steps outsides his house or brushes his teeth. Gods knows we forgive little.

LOL

OMG

i did forget to mention that I think Cos should be gone.

And it was not with sarscasm that I said what I said. "Yeah, well maybe the next coach will be perfect - god knows he'd better be- and the players will play like they give a sh#t, (when do we hold them accountable?) and let's hope we won't have any injuries and we won't have any penalties ever. This is a young team you know."

I mean't it. The average Husker fan has very little patience if any at all any more. We demand perfection, excellence right now. We do not care if you have to learn your position or the playbook. By god you play for Nebraska, you should know everything you need to before you step onto the field in the spring. We are not entitled to that you know. We are not entitled to anything other then to support our team and the University. That's it. I hate it too. I want to win all the time. ALL THE TIME!

I think we give Callahan another year with out Cosgrove though. We have to have new defensive leadership. And I think Callahan has to hand off the playcalling to Watson. Period.

The kids like Callahan, they say they do, Ganz has turned this team around somewhat. I would just hate to toss all this out the window.

WTF

The statement "Bill Callahan is fired," seems to already be regarded as fact rather than prediction. Is Callahan just a figure head in the fall of Steve Pederson? I will grant you that this season has been bad, but Callahan is an offensive guy, and as Billy is quick to point out the offense has been fine. Doesn't anyone want to see what a little continuity mixed with a little change can do? I think that Bill is a fighter, and just last year we were in the Big Twelve Championship game. I also think that one more year for Bill would be far from a bad idea.

This season has been way past bad. Remember, this was a year that we were going to compete for the North title with all of Callahan's players. Many people picked us as the North favorite because of all the wonderful talent that we possessed. And talent we have.

What this team has lacked this year, and what has struck me over the last four years, is a lack of team unity, of team spirit, of team commitment. The players have drifted into the world of celebrating a routine tackle after an 8-yard gain when trailing by 25 points. They laugh and dance on the sidelines when 3 touchdowns behind, where previously a 3-point deficit was met with steely determination.

The attitude of the players is a direct reflection of the coaching staff, and the attitude of the coaching staff is a direct reflection of the head coach.

Callahan may be successful next year if retained. However, it would not be long before another disaster. Attitude is sports is the key, and Callahan fosters the NFL mentality of "show up and collect a paycheck".

well, so far they haven't lost (look at OU as an example) to teams that they should have beat. like i said, they don't have top talent, but Mangino and his staff make the most out of what they have, which is far more than i can say about callahan! KU has excellent position coaches, we have crap!

He has never come back when down at the half, he doesn't adjust to what is being played on the field. In order to maintain a role in the top 25 you have to do those things. Look at the Texas game, they made adjustments we didn't.

one more year of callahan would be a disaster and the disappointment would be huge......time to trun the reins over to someone who can COACH!