Osborne weighs Input on decision

husker rob

from the LJS

Osborne 'seriously' weighs input on decision

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 - 12:39:25 am CST

Tom Osborne is one month into his position as Nebraska’s interim athletic director.

His biggest decision — evaluating football coach Bill Callahan and determining his future in Lincoln — will come Saturday, a day after the Huskers’ regular-season finale at Colorado.

It’s a decision, Kent Mann said, that Osborne isn’t taking lightly.

Mann, the father of former Husker center Kurt Mann, is among some 30 people who’ve phoned Osborne, or heard back from Osborne, and talked about Nebraska’s program and its future.

Kent Mann said he appreciated Osborne’s interest in his opinion.

“It really speaks to the level of credibility and integrity that he has,” Mann said. “I think he’s very sincere and genuine in his efforts to understand the situation that he’s dealing with, and to be sure that he has a real grasp of the situation, so that he can make a decision that will be right for the program and right for the kids and coaches and the university.”

Mann said the two discussed the situation in Lincoln but declined to offer specific comments, saying the conversation was confidential.

Mann, principal at Grand Island Senior High School, said he’s worked with Osborne professionally on some projects when Osborne was in the U.S. House of Representatives, and with Osborne’s TeamMates program.

“I’m really interested in the things that are developing in Lincoln, and certainly Tom Osborne is the right guy to address the issues and solve the situation,” Mann said. “I have a lot of confidence in him.”

Osborne admits he’s heard numerous comments regarding Nebraska’s football program in the month he’s served as Steve Pederson’s successor.

Positive? Negative?

“I hear all kinds,” Osborne said. “I don’t want to quantify it, really.

“It’s not that I want to give the impression that I haven’t gotten any calls, because I have. It’s all just part of the picture. But a very small part.”

Osborne, careful to point out he’s not trying to undermine Callahan and his staff, said whatever his thinking is based upon, it will be what happens on the football field.

“It doesn’t have to do with comments and opinions,” Osborne said. “You get all kinds of people who have different feelings and viewpoints.

“The one thing that’s pretty obvious is what you see on the field, and I’ve had enough experience with football that I have a fairly good idea of what I’m seeing.”

Nebraska is 5-6 overall and 3-5 in the Big 12 Conference heading into Friday’s 11 a.m. game at Colorado.

The Huskers ended a five-game losing streak last weekend with a 73-31 victory in its home finale over Kansas State, and need to defeat the Buffaloes to earn a bowl bid. A loss assures Nebraska of its second losing season in four years under Callahan.

Mann said Osborne has spoken with or heard from several parents of former players, and former players themselves.

One was former quarterback Zac Taylor, who said he recently phoned Osborne to give input on the situation. Taylor didn’t get into specifics of the conversation, but in a letter he sent to the Journal Star last month, defended Callahan and his staff, saying this season was “a fluke.”

Mann, whose son lost his starting position last year after an early-season bout with mononucleosis, said he has great respect for Nebraska.

“I can’t say enough about the academic experience that (Kurt) had, and certainly the support and the involvement of the medical staff was phenomenal,” Mann said.

He said he has much compassion for the current players.

“I know they have to be frustrated,” Mann said. “Sometimes that’s one of the hard lessons of life, is working through the conflict and the strife. Usually you come out a better person for it.

“I don’t think people have heard the last of the Cornhuskers, and I think there’s some really positive things on the horizon. Sometimes you just have to play the hand you were dealt, and I think we’re probably in that situation right now.”

“The one thing that’s pretty obvious is what you see on the field, and I’ve had enough experience with football that I have a fairly good idea of what I’m seeing.”

If that is the case, BC is toast. :clap:clap:clap:clap

One was former quarterback Zac Taylor, who said he recently phoned Osborne to give input on the situation. Taylor didn’t get into specifics of the conversation, but in a letter he sent to the Journal Star last month, defended Callahan and his staff, saying this season was “a fluke.”

i like Taylor, but i couldn't stand another "fluke" season. there is way too much missing here in this coaching staff. the whole pro philosophy just doesn't fit in college ball, we have seen how that does not work.

the whole complicated system that takes a qb 3 years to learn is a f'ing joke! it has no advantage for our offense, it is just snake oil and not applicable to coaching and fielding a competitive college football team.

the fact that callahan has taken NO responsibility for the defensive collapse shows he is not HC material. he almost pretends it is not his problem. WTF?

Os will not do us any favors keeping callahan. i fear more and more, as everyday goes by, he is thinking of allowing him another year to make the changes. i respect Os, but i will be extremely disappointed if he keeps callahan, extremely disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that could be taken a few ways, actually. Don't get me wrong, all signs point to the scenario you are pointing out. I just think that quote doesn't necessarily mean he's gone automatically.

Mann, whose son lost his starting position last year after an early-season bout with mononucleosis, said he has great respect for Nebraska.

“I can’t say enough about the academic experience that (Kurt) had, and certainly the support and the involvement of the medical staff was phenomenal,” Mann said.

He said he has much compassion for the current players.

“I know they have to be frustrated,” Mann said. “Sometimes that’s one of the hard lessons of life, is working through the conflict and the strife. Usually you come out a better person for it.

“I don’t think people have heard the last of the Cornhuskers, and I think there’s some really positive things on the horizon. Sometimes you just have to play the hand you were dealt, and I think we’re probably in that situation right now.”

Academic experience? Medical staff?

Funny how he didn't mention the coaching staff. Kind of lets you know how his conversation with TO went IMO.

I think that could be taken a few ways, actually. Don't get me wrong, all signs point to the scenario you are pointing out. I just think that quote doesn't necessarily mean he's gone automatically.

TO having any kind of doubt about firing BC and KC at this point is really starting to bother me. I seriously hope that this is just window dressing on his part.

Did you read Taylor's piece? If not, you should. It's a good read...worth digging up the link to it here, but I can't find it.

Here it is. Straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...95610701607.txt

I respect Zac's take on what going on this season, but it's coming from only his offensive side of thinking. The problem is Coz and BC won't do any thing about that. It will cost him his job. Being loyal to a friend should work both ways. Why Coz diden't see that and step down and do the right thing as a friend makes me wonder, that this great friendship might all be in BC's head.

GBR!!!

Just because I saw someone post of their concern over TOs indecision. IMO you dont call a meeting on a saturday if things aren't going to be shaking up. I think there is a lot to be said in the fact that he is not going to wait to meet with them until the monday after. Remember what happened the last time there was a meeting with coaches and the AD the day after CU...

Just because I saw someone post of their concern over TOs indecision. IMO you dont call a meeting on a saturday if things aren't going to be shaking up. I think there is a lot to be said in the fact that he is not going to wait to meet with them until the monday after. Remember what happened the last time there was a meeting with coaches and the AD the day after CU...

regardless, the quick decision, i think, is a much a value for recruiting as anything. i am still scared cally will be allowed to stay......Coz, he is a goner for sure.

:yeah:yeah:yeah

If Cally was staying why would T.O. call for a meeting the day after the Colorado game. Don't you think Osborn knows his "baby" is broke. 25 years + of hard work close to being gone. Why do you think he took the AD position. To fix it!

:yeah:yeah:yeah

If Cally was staying why would T.O. call for a meeting the day after the Colorado game. Don't you think Osborn knows his "baby" is broke. 25 years + of hard work close to being gone. Why do you think he took the AD position. To fix it!

i just hope you are right.