Lloyd Carr officially calls it quits...

if you can win at navy...you are a pretty good coach.

Come talk to me about Paul Johnson when he starts sniffing at the BCS at Navy.

that will happen about the same time I figure out how to turn crap into gold(since that would be as easy to do) there isnt a coach in the world that could get them into the BCS without breaking serious rules

just remember kiddies, anything dave says should be taken with a pound of salt, anyone who can get navy in to what...4 straight bowls? have a couple 10 plus win seasons at navy(and you know win the bowl) should be considered.

Pelini might be a head coach somewhere next year but it won't be at LSU.

Bingo! You are absolutely right. All folks have to do is visit some of the LSU boards to know that whether Miles leaves or not that Bo is headed for NU. I have a few friends who are huge LSU fans and they have said that they love Pelini for carrying on what Muschamp started. However they have also said that it's been made clear that BP will be going to NU as HC. :) Most of the LSU fans besides my friends have already started moving on life after BO, and are hoping they can get Muschamp back if not as DC as HC if Miles does decide to leave. :)

I have two questions:

1. How do the people on LSU's message boards know who TO is going to hire?

2. Why do we want Bo, if they won't take him (he's already there!)?

:dunno

Bingo! You are absolutely right. All folks have to do is visit some of the LSU boards to know that whether Miles leaves or not that Bo is headed for NU. I have a few friends who are huge LSU fans and they have said that they love Pelini for carrying on what Muschamp started. However they have also said that it's been made clear that BP will be going to NU as HC. :) Most of the LSU fans besides my friends have already started moving on life after BO, and are hoping they can get Muschamp back if not as DC as HC if Miles does decide to leave. :)

I have two questions:

They just know, I'm guessing. Just like we know that Paul Johnson is the most awesome coach yet couldn't beat Ball State, Wake Forest, or Delaware and took 17 OTs to take down a powerhouse ND team. He gives up points. A lot of them. Eight teams have scored more than 30 points on his defense this year. Seven have scored more than 40. North Texas scored 62. Callahan and Cosgrove have done as well. He would get absolutely creamed in the Big XII. He belongs in the WAC, they don't believe in defense there.

I have two questions:

1) Just like we know Billy C is gone, they know he's coming to NU.

2) They do want him, however since they know he wants to be a HC it's better for them to move on then to bitch and complain that he's leaving. It's like anything in business. You want your employee's to excel and climb the ladder. Of course you don't want them to leave, but you don't want to hold them back either. Same thing here. LSU fans don't want him to leave but they fully understand that he wants to be a HC and wish him well in that endeavour if that's the path he chooses to take. No sense in dwelling on it. That only adds resentment which lead's to never finding any positive in the stuation. :)

I have two questions:

They just know, I'm guessing. Just like we know that Paul Johnson is the most awesome coach yet couldn't beat Ball State, Wake Forest, or Delaware and took 17 OTs to take down a powerhouse ND team. He gives up points. A lot of them. Eight teams have scored more than 30 points on his defense this year. Seven have scored more than 40. North Texas scored 62. Callahan and Cosgrove have done as well. He would get absolutely creamed in the Big XII. He belongs in the WAC, they don't believe in defense there.

Navy is giving up over 40pts per game last I looked. :( Doesn't say much about his choice of DC's.

Pelini is not as attractive a head coaching candidate as Nebraska fans seem to think he is. Remember, this guy interviewed for, and was not offered, jobs at Syracuse and Pittsburgh. I would be very surprised if Pelini was coaching a powerhouse school next year (LSU, Nebraska, etc.) and would not be surprised at all to see him still without a head coaching job. He is not attractive to ADs. He's not really attractive to anyone outside rabid Husker fans and James Carville (whose judgment is definitely in question. I mean, he's a Clinton guy, come on).

Regarding Paul Johnson's defense, I watched the Notre Dame game and will defend him. Notre Dame couldn't run all year yet they ran pretty well that game. That seems like bad news for Johnson, but hear me out. Notre Dame was monstrous next to those tiny Navy defenders. It is nearly impossible for Navy to get any pressure on the QB or to stop the run as the D-Line was completely ran over. It is easier to compensate for lack of size on offense (misdirection, cut blocks) than it is on defense. On offense, a team with great execution can overcome size deficiencies, while on defense, the other team can just run them over. Not saying Paul Johnson should be the coach, but that his defense has some excuse for being poor.

For what it's worth, I vote for Gill.

How come Michigan rumors can mention Kirk Ferentz, Jon Gruden, and Bobby Petrino and we get Gill and Pellini?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3117704

Petrino is the only coach I would consider out of Gruden and Ferentz. Ferentz has slipped at Iowa the past few years. And Gruden is a pro coach first. Didn't we already do that experiment and it crashed and burned? No thanks. :)

I agree for the most part, but Gruden is 10 times the coach that Callahan is. Do you remember the super bowl? Gruden left Callahan dumbfounded. All the same, I would like a college coach as our next HC, not a former pro coach.

How come Michigan rumors can mention Kirk Ferentz, Jon Gruden, and Bobby Petrino and we get Gill and Pellini?

Petrino is the only coach I would consider out of Gruden and Ferentz. Ferentz has slipped at Iowa the past few years. And Gruden is a pro coach first. Didn't we already do that experiment and it crashed and burned? No thanks. :)

I agree for the most part, but Gruden is 10 times the coach that Callahan is. Do you remember the super bowl? Gruden left Callahan dumbfounded. All the same, I would like a college coach as our next HC, not a former pro coach.

not only that, Callahan has been undressed by a lot of average college coaches since he has been at NU. look, we brought this guy in because we thought he would be a great coach, but what he is teaching is not working on the college level. show him the door plz.

Pelini is not as attractive a head coaching candidate as Nebraska fans seem to think he is. Remember, this guy interviewed for, and was not offered, jobs at Syracuse and Pittsburgh. I would be very surprised if Pelini was coaching a powerhouse school next year (LSU, Nebraska, etc.) and would not be surprised at all to see him still without a head coaching job. He is not attractive to ADs. He's not really attractive to anyone outside rabid Husker fans and James Carville (whose judgment is definitely in question. I mean, he's a Clinton guy, come on).

Regarding Paul Johnson's defense, I watched the Notre Dame game and will defend him. Notre Dame couldn't run all year yet they ran pretty well that game. That seems like bad news for Johnson, but hear me out. Notre Dame was monstrous next to those tiny Navy defenders. It is nearly impossible for Navy to get any pressure on the QB or to stop the run as the D-Line was completely ran over. It is easier to compensate for lack of size on offense (misdirection, cut blocks) than it is on defense. On offense, a team with great execution can overcome size deficiencies, while on defense, the other team can just run them over. Not saying Paul Johnson should be the coach, but that his defense has some excuse for being poor.

For what it's worth, I vote for Gill.

That doesn't explain the defensive lapses against Delaware St and North Texas. Both of those team's are pretty evenly matched in size w/Navy, yet Navy's D couldn't stop them. I know you like PG, and if Navy's opponent's were all as big as ND's and the outcomes were similar I'd say you have an argument. However because most of their opponent's match evenly to Navy's size you just debunked your own argument. :)

Absolutely. College guys know the game better at the college level than the pro's. Totally different animal. :)

The dominos are going to fall, Miles to Michigan, Pelini to LSU, someone else to coach here. Thank God.

YES YES YES!!!! bring on paul johnson

NO

OMG HE BEAT NOTRE DAME! BEST COACH EVAR!

if you can win at navy...you are a pretty good coach. he was a good coach long before he beat a terrible ND team. I'm not saying he is the man for our job, but he certainly needs to be on the list

Absolutely

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Ferentz isn't leaving Iowa.

Gruden is too much of an NFL coach, NFL doesn't work in college, their game plans require an All American at every position.

I mentioned Petrino a while back and got little response. With only a year in the NFL he hasn't had time to be spoiled yet, especially in Atlanta.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

I have no idea if Pelini would be a decent HC or not, or who would be the best fit for NU. But I am nervous about hiring Turner Gill at this time. Buffalo is now 4-7. While that's better than anyone else has done for the school since it entered into major college football, it's not good enough to take a chance with him. I know this is only his second year, and it may be comparing apples to oranges, but there are other HCs who have been proven to have turn programs around. Turner may do that, but he hasn't yet. Too much of a risk. :dunno

if you can win at navy...you are a pretty good coach.

Come talk to me about Paul Johnson when he starts sniffing at the BCS at Navy.

that will happen about the same time I figure out how to turn crap into gold(since that would be as easy to do) there isnt a coach in the world that could get them into the BCS without breaking serious rules

I can name that tune! The day that a Staubach-caliber QB wants to be a Naval Officer when he grows up, instead of hearing the cha-ching of the $NFL$ from the time he's on the frosh team in HS. Those were the days when the service academies could field a team at least equal in size and ability than the "majors" like OU and ND (back in the day), and could win or come close to championships with one true star.

Come on, get real. PJ has done an outstanding job with the hand that he was dealt, and there isn't any reason to believe he wouldn't be able to raise his coaching to the level of the athletes that we have.