10 Failures of the Callahan Era

Samuel McKewon hits it...he hits it deep...

I thought he got walked, but that just might be me.

The big problem I had with the article and it's not even about Callahan was the LB quote. I guess Trev Alberts, Grant Winstrom, Jared Tomich, Mike Rucker, Carlos Polk, Chris Kelsey, and Kyle Vanden Bosch along with some others werent a major part in the defense when they were here.

The big problem I had with the article and it's not even about Callahan was the LB quote. I guess Trev Alberts, Grant Winstrom, Jared Tomich, Mike Rucker, Carlos Polk, Chris Kelsey, and Kyle Vanden Bosch along with some others werent a major part in the defense when they were here.

Isn’t Polk the only LB you mention? Trev WAS before the defensive switch but every single one of the other guys was part of the Front 4 this guy is talking about.

If you would have said Ellis, Coleman, Williams, Ortiz, Johnson, Stella you would have been correct. However that list pretty much sums up the authors point. How many of the LB’s in Nebraska History were studs compared to the Front 4 or DB’s? Ruud, Stewart, and Polk are really the only ones to get any kind of accolades compared to the rest of the defense. (I counted D. Williams as a DE because that is where he did most of his damage)

Isn’t Polk the only LB you mention? Trev WAS before the defensive switch but every single one of the other guys was part of the Front 4 this guy is talking about.

If you would have said Ellis, Coleman, Williams, Ortiz, Johnson, Stella you would have been correct. However that list pretty much sums up the authors point. How many of the LB’s in Nebraska History were studs compared to the Front 4 or DB’s? Ruud, Stewart, and Polk are really the only ones to get any kind of accolades compared to the rest of the defense. (I counted D. Williams as a DE because that is where he did most of his damage)

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. Nebraska's LBs were solid, but certainly served a tertiary role to the line and defensive backfield.

82 Rucker, Mike LB 6-6 225 Fr. St. Joseph, Mo. (Benton)

46 Colman, Doug MLB 6-3 240 Jr. Ventnor, N.J. (Ocean City)

41 Ellis, Phil MLB 6-2 225 Jr. Grand Island, Neb. (Grand Island)

44 Hesse, Jon MLB 6-4 220 So. Lincoln, Neb. (Southeast)

32 Stewart, Ed LB 6-1 215 Jr. Chicago, Ill. (Mt. Carmel)

34 Alberts, Trev OLB 6-4 240 Sr. Cedar Falls, Iowa (Northern University)

Ortiz, Tony LB 6-2 215 Fr. Waterbury, Conn. (Crosby)

93 Tomich, Jared OLB 6-2 250 Sr. St. John, Ind. (Lake Central)

98 Wistrom, Grant OLB 6-5 235 So. Webb City, Mo. (Webb City)

44 Foreman, Jay MLB 6-1 235 Jr. Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie)

13 Polk, Carlos MLB 6-3 245 Fr. Rockford, Ill. (Guilford)

Well looking back only one of the guy I mentioned like Kyle Vanden Bosch were DE but the rest were LB, OLB and MLB. It's strange they went from calling them LB'S from 1997 to calling them DE in 1998 I don't remember the defensive philosophy changing.

Well looking back only one of the guy I mentioned like Kyle Vanden Bosch were DE but the rest were LB, OLB and MLB. It's strange they went from calling them LB'S from 1997 to calling them DE in 1998 I don't remember the defensive philosophy changing.

That is odd that they have them listed as OLB's instead of DE. They all were down on the edge which you would think would be listed as a DE not an OLB. Whatever though I think were are saying the same thing. :thumbs

That is odd that they have them listed as OLB's instead of DE. They all were down on the edge which you would think would be listed as a DE not an OLB. Whatever though I think were are saying the same thing. :thumbs

Before 1997, they were all listed as OLB's. In a book I have it talks about how Wistrom's title changed between his Jr and Sr seasons. That is probably the discrepancy in the listing. They were technically "Rush Ends" and changed to DE in 97.