Recruiting in Trouble

God forbid we enjoy teams from the Big XII North doing well, right? Shame on us for getting tired of hearing the Big XII North slandered every time college football is talked about.

Go ahead and enjoy it. Just don't come crying to me if you get sick of enjoying it 5 or 10 years down the line. I know KU fans were proud of our success when we beat them 30 some odd years in a row. :sarcasm Missouri just won the Big 12 north, post your shirt size and mailing address and I'll send you a Mizzou shirt.

Not afraid of a little competition are we? :sarcasm

IMO, we have a problem with recruiting that will get worse before it gets better.

With Kansas and Missouri coming into their own, the competition for recruits in those states is getting tough.

I've seen this happen at Syracuse. Rutgers, UCONN, and Boston College were nowhere and Syracuse could get any player from NJ, CONN., or Mass. Granted 'Cuse has other issues to sort out, but I've noticed a massive drop in recruiting from those states.

USC was horrible for years and UCLA and Stanford reaped the benefits.

S. Florida took recruits from Miami and look what they've accomplished.

NU has to get back to the homegrown talent and get competitive in the Big 12 to take those Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Texas recruits.

One day, one thing at a time I suppose.

I still think it's way to early to say Kansas and Missouri are coming into their own after having one good season. They've consistently been mid-tier IMO. Granted they're both having great seasons but lets wait and see how things pan out in the next 3-5 years. My guess is once guys like Rucker and Coffman and Daniels are gone, Mizzou may not be that good. And Kansas could have a complete flop of a season next year.

The KU/MU game last night was an awesome game. It was obvious that two top programs were playing who had excellent skill players who played with heart and handeled them moment well.

For me, it was an exciting college football game and worth my time. They will represent the Big 12 well ... obviously, we can't even represent the Husker tradition very well this year, let alone the Big 12.

Hopefully, these programs will do well in recruiting and bring our conference up a notch.

For us, well, we have a ways to go to be considered the program of KU and MU. Once we realize that, we might get out of this whole.

Mark

IMO, we have a problem with recruiting that will get worse before it gets better.

With Kansas and Missouri coming into their own, the competition for recruits in those states is getting tough.

I've seen this happen at Syracuse. Rutgers, UCONN, and Boston College were nowhere and Syracuse could get any player from NJ, CONN., or Mass. Granted 'Cuse has other issues to sort out, but I've noticed a massive drop in recruiting from those states.

NU has to get back to the homegrown talent and get competitive in the Big 12 to take those Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Texas recruits.

I agree with you overall. But Syracuse's problem with football was for too long a problem with a weak AD (Crouthamel) who was too satisfied with just being OK and too many off the field problems, including those with players and coaches. It was a mess that made the recruiting problems worse. Maybe these are the "other issues" you mentioned. They were, though, very important.

Bah...all the talk about five-star recruits is all crap anyway. I'd much rather concentrate on lower tier recruits who have the drive and desire to play for Nebraska than a pampered athlete who "chose" us over other schools and who may or may not pan out.

Any low tier recruit (or walk-on for that matter) with proper coaching and burning desire is perfectly able to break the leg of any five star recruit by pile driving them into the turf on any given Saturday.

I still think it's way to early to say Kansas and Missouri are coming into their own after having one good season. They've consistently been mid-tier IMO. Granted they're both having great seasons but lets wait and see how things pan out in the next 3-5 years. My guess is once guys like Rucker and Coffman and Daniels are gone, Mizzou may not be that good. And Kansas could have a complete flop of a season next year.

:yeah

We'll see, next year, if KU and Missouri can repeat this success.

I would assume that recruits consider that.

We're still Nebraska...and we still have the best facilities in the Big 12 North. Hopefully, we'll get a coach that can help sell that.

Bah...all the talk about five-star recruits is all crap anyway. I'd much rather concentrate on lower tier recruits who have the drive and desire to play for Nebraska than a pampered athlete who "chose" us over other schools and who may or may not pan out.

Any low tier recruit (or walk-on for that matter) with proper coaching and burning desire is perfectly able to break the leg of any five star recruit by pile driving them into the turf on any given Saturday.

wow, that is some sh#t cyclone. well said and true. we need that killer attitude back in the D.

and i am not sure we don't need to rethink the blackshirt tradition and how it is awarded. maybe time to make the guys earn it during the season, based on plays, etc.

just giving it for effort, when the measuring stick is low (like it was this year) makes it suddenly less rewarding in my eyes.

by god, make them earn it in game situations and don't give any out until the 3rd or 4th game of the season, to anyone.

I'm hoping that Kansas plays someone good in their bowl game that way they will get crushed and everyone will realize that it had more to do with KU schedule then anything else.

Would hope that Missouri loses this week but Oklahoma showed nothing against Texas Tech. If Missouri plays West Virginia for the National Championship I can see them winning it all. Not impressed with any team this year since everyone but Hawai has shown they can be beat.

Of course recruiting is in trouble, why the hell wouldn't it be?

Crappy record

Coaching turmoil

No bowl

Basically looked at as a program that has hit rock bottom

I could go on and on......

No recruit with half a brain wants to walk into this mess.

If ISU is any yardstick I can honestly say we don't recruit em based on cognitive thought...

wow, that is some sh#t cyclone. well said and true. we need that killer attitude back in the D.

How can you say something like this, it is just retarded. You might not mean this but the way you are wording your statement about recruiting, you sound like you are saying we should not recruit a player if rivals gives this guy 4 or 5 stars. Are you saying we should take away the scholarship offers to guys like Baker Steinkuhler, Simi Kuli, or Will Compton just because rivals ranks these guys as 4 and 5 star players. Also do you think we should have never offered guys like Demario Williams(5 stars), Fabian Washington(4 stars) or Jay Moore(4 stars) just because rivals gave these guys alot of stars. A few other guys that come to mind that rivals rated high, and they played great at Nebraska, were Barrett Ruud, Cory Ross, Josh and Daniel Bullocks, Toniu Fonoti, Trevor Johnson and the list could go on forever. So just because we have gotten a few guys lately who are rated high but did not pan out(Andre Jones, Harrison Beck, Justin Tomerlin, Leon Jackson) this doesnt mean we should stop recruiting highly rated kids. We just need highly rated kids that fit our system, and BC probably put a little to mush emphasis on a kids talent and not enough on their character.

How Nebraska coaches should recruit is they should go out and find the most talented players that fit the Nebraska mold. They need to look at the most talented kids, and then when they find these kids they need to start evaluating them and determine which of these top athletes are hard working kids, that are coachable, and have desire to play the game. After evaluating the top athletes in the country(4 and 5 stars), then start looking for kids that are flying under the radar, who have potential and once again fit the hard working, Nebraska mold.

*I would also like to say that before NU starts looking all over the nation for players they first need to get all the great athletes in the state of Nebraska to come to NU and then venture all over the country to find kids. I mean Iowa State beat us in 2004 and 3 of their best players were all from Nebraska(Stevie Hicks-RB, Jon Davis-WR, and Nick Leaders-DL). All these guys started and played well against NU that year.

So lets get kids with the most talent, and the most character possible.