Recruiting in Trouble

I think what he was trying to say is we need to do a better job recruiting around the midwest. I know that in the glory days there were numerous players from small town nebraska who probably weren't the most talented football players, but nebraska took these kids and developed them (with great coaching) into all-americans and nfl players. Personally i think that 4-5 star ratings from a website don't mean sh*t. You can have the world's greatest stats in H.S. but that doesn't account for what type of player they will be in college.

Bah...all the talk about five-star recruits is all crap anyway. I'd much rather concentrate on lower tier recruits who have the drive and desire to play for Nebraska than a pampered athlete who "chose" us over other schools and who may or may not pan out.

Any low tier recruit (or walk-on for that matter) with proper coaching and burning desire is perfectly able to break the leg of any five star recruit by pile driving them into the turf on any given Saturday.

wow, that is some sh#t cyclone. well said and true. we need that killer attitude back in the D.

How can you say something like this, it is just retarded. You might not mean this but the way you are wording your statement about recruiting, you sound like you are saying we should not recruit a player if rivals gives this guy 4 or 5 stars. Are you saying we should take away the scholarship offers to guys like Baker Steinkuhler, Simi Kuli, or Will Compton just because rivals ranks these guys as 4 and 5 star players. Also do you think we should have never offered guys like Demario Williams(5 stars), Fabian Washington(4 stars) or Jay Moore(4 stars) just because rivals gave these guys alot of stars. A few other guys that come to mind that rivals rated high, and they played great at Nebraska, were Barrett Ruud, Cory Ross, Josh and Daniel Bullocks, Toniu Fonoti, Trevor Johnson and the list could go on forever. So just because we have gotten a few guys lately who are rated high but did not pan out(Andre Jones, Harrison Beck, Justin Tomerlin, Leon Jackson) this doesnt mean we should stop recruiting highly rated kids. We just need highly rated kids that fit our system, and BC probably put a little to mush emphasis on a kids talent and not enough on their character.

How Nebraska coaches should recruit is they should go out and find the most talented players that fit the Nebraska mold. They need to look at the most talented kids, and then when they find these kids they need to start evaluating them and determine which of these top athletes are hard working kids, that are coachable, and have desire to play the game. After evaluating the top athletes in the country(4 and 5 stars), then start looking for kids that are flying under the radar, who have potential and once again fit the hard working, Nebraska mold.

*I would also like to say that before NU starts looking all over the nation for players they first need to get all the great athletes in the state of Nebraska to come to NU and then venture all over the country to find kids. I mean Iowa State beat us in 2004 and 3 of their best players were all from Nebraska(Stevie Hicks-RB, Jon Davis-WR, and Nick Leaders-DL). All these guys started and played well against NU that year.

So lets get kids with the most talent, and the most character possible.

The most talent and character possible based on the number of stars Rivals gives them? My ass...who are those experts at Rivals anyway and who are they to be able to determine who the best recruits are? They're number crunchers...bean counters. Where's the ranking for determination? Where's the number for pride? Where's the calculation that says how quick somebody is going to get up after they get their butt kicked on the field a couple of times? Without looking I can almost be certain that Rivals would have ranked Callahan as a five star coach just based on the numbers. Nebraska was always capable at finding those lower tier recruits that may not be the most gifted athletes...but they had the heart and work ethic that made them play over their heads because they were proud of being a part of Husker football. That's something that you can't get off a web site.

The problem with KU and MU is that they simply don't have the resources to reload when their current guys are gone.... yes they get talent out of Texas (as does everyone in the B12) but they aren't getting them on a consistent enough basis to win year in and year out. They will continue to do what they have always done, have a few good years with a great group of kids and than go back to rebuilding for several years to rebuild that talent and depth to compete again.

KU simply doesn't have a very large fan base and many of the students that go to KU are simply disinterested in football. KU was undefeated all year and has been in the top 10 for several weeks but the game against NU was the first time they sold out all year, and before that game they had not gotten within 6,000 seats of a sellout. They also have the smallest athletic budget and have the 3rd smallest football budget in the conference, tied with Baylor.

MU also doesn't have a very large fan base. Missouri still has a problem with state identity, as the state is made up of a large number of big 10 fans and the way the state runs its collegiate system is a joke. Until MU is seen as the true state college by those in the state, get the resources that come with that distinction and prevail over the big 10 in terms of respectability in the eyes of the population, they won't lock up the state in recruiting.

Missouri also has the problem in that they stretch themselves thin, They have 20 varsity sports (one less than NU) but less than 70% of the budget NU has. In fact although Missouri has a middle of the road athletic budget, hey have by far the smallest football budget in the conference.

Neither of these schools pose a long term threat to NU at this point... the problem NU has is that even though neither of these schools are consistently competitive, each school in the north (other than NU) constantly goes through these same patterns and usually when one is down another is up so NU will always have plenty of tough division competition, just not wearing the same uniform each year.

NU must get back to what it was best at and that is regaining a firm identity, so they are able to get back to reloading each year so that they are consistently the favorite to win the north, are always in the conversation of the B12 title hunt and often are in the conversation when talking about national title opportunities.

The problem with KU and MU is that they simply don't have the resources to reload when their current guys are gone....

One of our commits was quoted in the paper as saying "Oklahoma and Missouri - guys will be scratching at the door to get into a school like that." Eighteen year old kids see them up and us down. They aren't as concerned about the past as the fans might be.

Exactly what kind of resources does it take to offer a kid a scholarship?

Bah...all the talk about five-star recruits is all crap anyway. I'd much rather concentrate on lower tier recruits who have the drive and desire to play for Nebraska than a pampered athlete who "chose" us over other schools and who may or may not pan out.

Any low tier recruit (or walk-on for that matter) with proper coaching and burning desire is perfectly able to break the leg of any five star recruit by pile driving them into the turf on any given Saturday.

wow, that is some sh#t cyclone. well said and true. we need that killer attitude back in the D.

How can you say something like this, it is just retarded. You might not mean this but the way you are wording your statement about recruiting, you sound like you are saying we should not recruit a player if rivals gives this guy 4 or 5 stars. Are you saying we should take away the scholarship offers to guys like Baker Steinkuhler, Simi Kuli, or Will Compton just because rivals ranks these guys as 4 and 5 star players. Also do you think we should have never offered guys like Demario Williams(5 stars), Fabian Washington(4 stars) or Jay Moore(4 stars) just because rivals gave these guys alot of stars. A few other guys that come to mind that rivals rated high, and they played great at Nebraska, were Barrett Ruud, Cory Ross, Josh and Daniel Bullocks, Toniu Fonoti, Trevor Johnson and the list could go on forever. So just because we have gotten a few guys lately who are rated high but did not pan out(Andre Jones, Harrison Beck, Justin Tomerlin, Leon Jackson) this doesnt mean we should stop recruiting highly rated kids. We just need highly rated kids that fit our system, and BC probably put a little to mush emphasis on a kids talent and not enough on their character.

How Nebraska coaches should recruit is they should go out and find the most talented players that fit the Nebraska mold. They need to look at the most talented kids, and then when they find these kids they need to start evaluating them and determine which of these top athletes are hard working kids, that are coachable, and have desire to play the game. After evaluating the top athletes in the country(4 and 5 stars), then start looking for kids that are flying under the radar, who have potential and once again fit the hard working, Nebraska mold.

*I would also like to say that before NU starts looking all over the nation for players they first need to get all the great athletes in the state of Nebraska to come to NU and then venture all over the country to find kids. I mean Iowa State beat us in 2004 and 3 of their best players were all from Nebraska(Stevie Hicks-RB, Jon Davis-WR, and Nick Leaders-DL). All these guys started and played well against NU that year.

So lets get kids with the most talent, and the most character possible.

The most talent and character possible based on the number of stars Rivals gives them? My ass...who are those experts at Rivals anyway and who are they to be able to determine who the best recruits are? They're number crunchers...bean counters. Where's the ranking for determination? Where's the number for pride? Where's the calculation that says how quick somebody is going to get up after they get their butt kicked on the field a couple of times? Without looking I can almost be certain that Rivals would have ranked Callahan as a five star coach just based on the numbers. Nebraska was always capable at finding those lower tier recruits that may not be the most gifted athletes...but they had the heart and work ethic that made them play over their heads because they were proud of being a part of Husker football. That's something that you can't get off a web site.

Where in my statement did I say anything about recruiting players based on the number of stars rivals gives them. The only thing rivals does is hold camps and look at film of these kids and they say well they have good numbers and they can perform in the game so they get blank number of stars. Rivals ranks athletic ability not heart, drive, or determination.

Ask anyone who knows anything about football and they will tell you that speed and athletic ability kills, but if that ability is given to a kid how just gives up then it will do him no good. On the flip side i dont want a bunch of slow, short, weak players who try really hard, cause i guarentee you whenever we play USC or Texas we will get punished cause our kids jsut wont be able to compete.

So like i said in the first response is we need the most talented kids, with the most character=drive, desire, determination. So if the coaches find a kid that works really hard, never quits on a play, is tough as nails, and rivals just happens to give this kid 5 stars then i want him on our team cause according to the coaches he has character and according to rivals he is very athletic, and that is what we need.

*Callahan put too much emphasis on a kids athletic ability and not enough on the kids character and that is why everyone said this year that we have talent on this team(which we do) but they were quitting cause they didnt have the drive that is needed around here.

Of course recruiting is in trouble, why the hell wouldn't it be?

Crappy record

Coaching turmoil

No bowl

Basically looked at as a program that has hit rock bottom

I could go on and on......

No recruit with half a brain wants to walk into this mess.

how do you explain notre dame?

That's easy... every recruit who goes and plays there is guaranteed to be on TV, every game, nationally. Who cares if the team sucks, they have their own network.

i seem to remember a year when sCUm was good. Now look...KU has never been very good so this is our first time in national prominence. But we choked so we have to wait till next season, i admit it. I dont think that this horrible year in Nebraska history will affect recruiting. 10 or 15 years is a different story...